The Chronicles of JeepFan and GemHunter

JAGS

Hooked
Made from scraps I had lying around in the garage...It's not pretty but it serves its purpose. ;)

View attachment 396762

View attachment 396763

View attachment 396764
If you go this route, you will need a longer bolt: 12Mx1.75 45MM long
View attachment 396765
If you go this route, you will need a new nut: 12Mx1.75
View attachment 396766
The carpet on the fridge shelf is a slightly different shade than the cargo carpet. But I’m sure that doesn’t bother you. 😉. Looks great. I had something similar in my JK that I think I stole the idea from you. I’ve used a couple times in the JL. Dimensions are close enough and keeps the fridge level.

JeepFan

Hooked
Were you able to track down the cause of this?

I’ve got the same thing going on over on the passenger side….Driver side is dry…

View attachment 396867 View attachment 396868
After removing the valve cover, I noticed the spark plug tube seals were hard and brittle. The rear cam sensor seal was hard as a rock and brittle as well. Pretty common on the 3.6. I have 101K miles on my JK so I wasn't too surprised to discover the leak.

Replacing all the seals stopped the leak.

If you're only seeing a leak from the rear cam sensor, you can replace that seal without removing the valve cover. If the spark plug tubes are full of oil, you'll have to remove the valve cover. Not a fun job on the passengers side.

Let me know if you have any questions...

Last edited:
After removing the valve cover, I noticed the spark plug tube seals were hard and brittle. The rear cam sensor seal was hard as a rock and brittle as well. Pretty common on the 3.6. I have 101K miles on my JK so I wasn't too surprised to discover the leak.

Replacing all the seals stopped the leak.

If you're only seeing a leak from the rear cam sensor, you can replace that seal without removing the valve cover. If the spark plug tubes are full of oil, you'll have to remove the valve cover. Not a fun job on the passengers side.

Let me know if you have any questions...

Appreciate the response.

I changed plugs and wires 15K miles ago when I had the air intake manifolds off to change the oil filter housing.

I bet disrupting those old plug seals initiated the leaking.

Regarding the cam sensor, I replaced that 10K miles ago. I’m trying to remember if there is a seal other than that little gasket that is seated in the bolt going through the center…maybe I’ll loosen it up, clean, and re-torque.

I will look at it a bit more…thanks again.

JeepFan

Hooked
After installing the Rancho lift and new front 1350 JE REEL driveshaft on our 2023 JLUR, I noticed an audible humming noise while driving 65-80 mph. It wasn't super loud, and you could not feel a vibration. Just an annoying hum. It was driving me crazy! LOL! (Most people probably wouldn't have noticed or cared) It was really hard to determine if the hum was coming from the front or the rear although Steph thought it was coming from the rear of the Jeep.

Since the front driveshaft does not spin while in 2WD, I knew the noise couldn't be coming from the front DS. So, I decided to remove the rear DS and drive it in front wheel drive. (Not fun I might add!) Low and behold...no more hum! With this new information, I thought maybe the factory shaft doesn't like spinning at these new angles. By eye, everything looked fine to me. However, using an angle finder, I did see a 2-degree upward variance between the pinion flange and driveshaft flange. I measured a stock JL and found a rear DS upward variance of 1.2 degrees. With this new information, I thought maybe changing the pinion angle to 1.2 degrees will make a difference.

To get the 1.2 degrees variance, I had to lengthen the rear lower control arms about a 1/2 inch. This dropped the rear pinion slightly bringing the new angle to 1.2 degrees. Went for a drive and no difference. (n)

I knew eventually, I would be replacing the rear driveshaft with a 1350 double cardan but didn't want to mess around with the pinion crush sleeve. After searching the Internet for a solution, I discovered that Neapco makes a flange that will bolt up to the factory pinion flange. Here's a link to the actual part. https://neapcoparts.com/n3-2-jl01-driveshaft-flange-yoke/

I checked JE REEL, Adam's, and a few other driveshaft websites and none of them offered this as an option. However, I did find a driveshaft company (full torque driveshafts) located in Idaho that does offer this flange as an option. I decided to call JE REEL to see if they heard of this Neapco flange and much to my surprise, they said they can build a shaft with this new flange.

Anyway, long story short, I ordered a new rear DS from JE REEL and installed it today. I'm happy to report that noise is almost completely gone now. I'd say there's about a 95% improvement. The other 5% could just as well be in my head...:ROFLMAO:

Here's a few pics. Hope this info helps anyone suffering from bad vibrations/humming.

20231129_101832.jpg

20231129_101846.jpg

20231129_113414.jpg

20231129_124234.jpg

20231129_101838.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
After installing the Rancho lift and new front 1350 JE REEL driveshaft on our 2023 JLUR, I noticed an audible humming noise while driving 65-80 mph. It wasn't super loud, and you could not feel a vibration. Just an annoying hum. It was driving me crazy! LOL! (Most people probably wouldn't have noticed or cared) It was really hard to determine if the hum was coming from the front or the rear although Steph thought it was coming from the rear of the Jeep.

Since the front driveshaft does not spin while in 2WD, I knew the noise couldn't be coming from the front DS. So, I decided to remove the rear DS and drive it in front wheel drive. (Not fun I might add!) Low and behold...no more hum! With this new information, I thought maybe the factory shaft doesn't like spinning at these new angles. By eye, everything looked fine to me. However, using an angle finder, I did see a 2-degree upward variance between the pinion flange and driveshaft flange. I measured a stock JL and found a rear DS upward variance of 1.2 degrees. With this new information, I thought maybe changing the pinion angle to 1.2 degrees will make a difference.

To get the 1.2 degrees variance, I had to lengthen the rear lower control arms about a 1/2 inch. This dropped the rear pinion slightly bringing the new angle to 1.2 degrees. Went for a drive and no difference. (n)

I knew eventually, I would be replacing the rear driveshaft with a 1350 double cardan but didn't want to mess around with the pinion crush sleeve. After searching the Internet for a solution, I discovered that Neapco makes a flange that will bolt up to the factory pinion flange. Here's a link to the actual part. https://neapcoparts.com/n3-2-jl01-driveshaft-flange-yoke/

I checked JE REEL, Adam's, and a few other driveshaft websites and none of them offered this as an option. However, I did find a driveshaft company (full torque driveshafts) located in Idaho that does offer this flange as an option. I decided to call JE REEL to see if they heard of this Neapco flange and much to my surprise, they said they can build a shaft with this new flange.

Anyway, long story short, I ordered a new rear DS from JE REEL and installed it today. I'm happy to report that noise is almost completely gone now. I'd say there's about a 95% improvement. The other 5% could just as well be in my head...:ROFLMAO:

Here's a few pics. Hope this info helps anyone suffering from bad vibrations/humming.

View attachment 398731

View attachment 398732

View attachment 398733

View attachment 398734

View attachment 398735
Good to know. We're doing a Rancho lift on ours as the next mod. Which kit did you go with?

My wife doesn't hear stuff like that, but I probably will.

JeepFan

Hooked
Good to know. We're doing a Rancho lift on ours as the next mod. Which kit did you go with?

My wife doesn't hear stuff like that, but I probably will.
It's the 3.5" crawl lift. Same one Eddie and Cindy have on their 392.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

View attachment 398731

View attachment 398732

View attachment 398733

View attachment 398734

View attachment 398735
Very cool! Glad to see JE Reel was able to help you out with the awesome Neapco flange. I should note that Neapco asks Jim to help out at shows like SEMA all the time and because he really knows his stuff. Definitely gonna have to do this too.

Quote "Since the front driveshaft does not spin while in 2WD, I knew the noise couldn't be coming from the front DS."
Only if you have locking hubs is this statement true.

Top Bottom