Texas DPS

kep01

So back in July I applied for a position to become a Texas state trooper. The process has been crazy long and I have made two trips to Texas for testing and interviews. I am in the final phase of the process and I have to wait for a yes or no basically. So now I have been thinking about where I would like to be stationed, I'm looking for suggestions cause I still want to be close to good Jeep riding, and great outdoor activities for my wife and kids.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jkris

Around the Austin area or Dallas. Around Austin is absolutely beautiful and has a few off-road parks and areas. It is also approximately 3 hours from the beach. Dallas is near Katemcy and is a nice area as well.... I prefer Austin even with all the hipsters. On a side note... Please don't quote me on this because things change, but when I applied I was told that the first couple of years as a rookie with DPS your first duty station was either east Texas or south Texas. But that may have changed.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jackal01

I would stay out of any major city proper especially Austin. The traffic is horrendous. Just ask Granite Head on here. Houston traffic sucks but we are in the county so it isn't that bad.

kep01

Around the Austin area or Dallas. Around Austin is absolutely beautiful and has a few off-road parks and areas. It is also approximately 3 hours from the beach. Dallas is near Katemcy and is a nice area as well.... I prefer Austin even with all the hipsters. On a side note... Please don't quote me on this because things change, but when I applied I was told that the first couple of years as a rookie with DPS your first duty station was either east Texas or south Texas. But that may have changed.

Thanks for the info. I like Austin and Waco. But I wasn't sure about the outdoor stuff there. As for duty stations I was told that I'd get to request 3 places and since I'm married with kids that I had a good chance of getting one of my picks. Either way I'll be happy as long as I get in.

So did you already pass an academy? Hard to not be excited at this stage. However. I would strongly suggest not sharing your experience along the way online. Any type of nexus or connection to your department you make online can very well be the reason of a rejection.
Good luck!

USMC Wrangler

So did you already pass an academy? Hard to not be excited at this stage. However. I would strongly suggest not sharing your experience along the way online. Any type of nexus or connection to your department you make online can very well be the reason of a rejection.
Good luck!

HighwayTrout brought up a good point

Yes, congrats. But, like these guys said, the nexus can be career ending, no matter how good your intentions are.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
I would say it would depend on what you like or are interested in as far as area's go , i relocated down here from up in CT. and Texas has a variety of landscapes climate's , while i do enjoy the desert climate and area's i know i wouldn't want to live in them out in western parts of the state , the north is more flat , while central is more hill country , while east is more wooded .... i myself chose the ne portion as i happen to like getting out into the woods for camping and hiking and it was more like where i came down here from and i liked the overall cost of living in the area as it was a bit lower than what i was used to where as the bigger cities Dallas , Houston , Austin , San Antonio were all pretty much up in the same range as where i came from and i knew i didn't want to be in any of them having delt with bigger city traffic ,Nyc, Atlanta , Boston ...

i would say take a trip down explore the state some see where ya like and where ya don't if your able to do so and then go from there ...

kep01

Good luck!
I'm still waiting to be accepted to the academy I guess I was just doing a little dreaming as far as where I would like to go once I'm done and yes I don't plan on sharing any any of the experiences online I'm prior military so I understand that you just don't talk about certain things either way I'm just really excited that I made it this far in the process and I'm very hopeful that I will get accepted to the academy because I think it would be a great honor to get to wear a uniform again

BamBamDeer

I'm still waiting to be accepted to the academy I guess I was just doing a little dreaming as far as where I would like to go once I'm done and yes I don't plan on sharing any any of the experiences online I'm prior military so I understand that you just don't talk about certain things either way I'm just really excited that I made it this far in the process and I'm very hopeful that I will get accepted to the academy because I think it would be a great honor to get to wear a uniform again

Be persistent. If for some reason you are not accepted the first time....regroup and try again. Sometimes....I can't speak for Texas DPS....they want to see how bad you want it and decline a lot of first apps. Never let anyone or anything stand in the way of Your Dream....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using WAYALIFE mobile app

kep01

Be persistent. If for some reason you are not accepted the first time....regroup and try again. Sometimes....I can't speak for Texas DPS....they want to see how bad you want it and decline a lot of first apps. Never let anyone or anything stand in the way of Your Dream....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using WAYALIFE mobile app
I will definitely be persistent! This is a very important move for me and the family. My wife has been very supportive and is really helping me reach for this dream I had. Thanks for the support as well.

GraniteCrystal

I lived in Dallas for 4 years. There is nothing to do there besides eat good food and shop. If you ever want to live the Jeep lifestyle and do awesome offroading, don't move to Dallas.

Austin is a much cooler city IMO. Still tons of great food but actually some really pretty country and more to do from an outdoors perspective.

Houston just a giant parking lot. With good food.

I now live in Colorado and am totally spoiled.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

kep01

I lived in Dallas for 4 years. There is nothing to do there besides eat good food and shop. If you ever want to live the Jeep lifestyle and do awesome offroading, don't move to Dallas.

Austin is a much cooler city IMO. Still tons of great food but actually some really pretty country and more to do from an outdoors perspective.

Houston just a giant parking lot. With good food.

I now live in Colorado and am totally spoiled.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769
I'm thinking maybe Amarillo. Close enough to weekend in Colorado,which would be a awesome experience for the wife and kids.

el_chupo_

Not a lot in Dallas, but you have a few spots relatively close.

Bridgeport (west of Ft. Worth) has Northwest OHV.
Gilmer (east of Dallas, south of Tyler) has Barnwell Mountain recreation area
Rock Trails of Tolar are near Granbury (south west of Ft. Worth
Marble Falls is near Austin has Hidden Falls park, and only about 3-4 hours south.
Arbuckle offroad park is only about 3 hours north, in southern Oklahoma.

Now, none of these are the mountains of CO, but it could be worse.

Top Bottom