Tailgate door stop

whispike

Have you ever been parked on a not so level surface and needed to keep your tailgate open but couldn't because the weight of the spare tire and the slope you were kept shutting it? I was just wondering what you guys have come up with to remedy this problem besides moving to a flatter surface.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Have you ever been parked on a not so level surface and needed to keep your tailgate open but couldn't because the weight of the spare tire and the slope you were kept shutting it? I was just wondering what you guys have come up with to remedy this problem besides moving to a flatter surface.

A set of vice grip pliers and a rag will do the trick.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I'd clamp it on the bar that goes into the side panel of the jeep. While I haven't had to do it on my 2015, my '09 had an aftermarket strut to hold the gate open. Sometimes I would clamp the shaft on the strut to keep it from closing on sidehills. Should be able to do the same thing with the newer OEM bar. Just clamp the bar so it can't go back into the side panel by the woofer. Make sense?

whispike

I'd clamp it on the bar that goes into the side panel of the jeep. While I haven't had to do it on my 2015, my '09 had an aftermarket strut to hold the gate open. Sometimes I would clamp the shaft on the strut to keep it from closing on sidehills. Should be able to do the same thing with the newer OEM bar. Just clamp the bar so it can't go back into the side panel by the woofer. Make sense?

Yes, I see what you mean. I'll have to give that a try.

SDG

Caught the Bug

Turn the vehicle 180 degrees and gravity will hold it open for you? Haha

jeeeep

Hooked
there is an outfit that makes the mechanism to hold the tailgate open for the older JKs, but I can't remember the name

Sharkey

Word Ninja
there is an outfit that makes the mechanism to hold the tailgate open for the older JKs, but I can't remember the name

I remember that. It was essentially a bar that you mount to the gate and then slide left against the tub.

jeeeep

Hooked
I remember that. It was essentially a bar that you mount to the gate and then slide left against the tub.

that was it, had a tab to keep it in the open position.
I bet you could probably retrofit the same mechanism that's on the newer jeeps into the older ones

Top Bottom