Swapping AEV 2'5 DS Coils for EVO Plush Rides

So you consider evo plush ride coils "soft and sloppy"?
Ride quality is 100% subjective. Some people like a firm mattress, some like a soft mattress when they sleep. Same goes for ride comfort on a jeep.
You kind of lost me when you said teraflex makes "good products."
Also a lot if manufactures don't address roll center correctly. Lifts that use frame side drop brackets lower your roll center.

He lost me when he said the teraflex ride was soft compared to his aev. I chuckled a little bit there

I thought teraflex had the stiffest springs?

I wonder if there is a measurement that could determine what springs ride stiff-vs-soft. I guess there must be too many variables.

Got the rear coils and new brakelines in. Took it for a drive as is and I'm happy so far! Tomorrow we work on the front..

I am thinking of switching my 4" Teraflex coils for 3" coils that are less stiff, maybe I'll try the Evo coils. I want to drive or at least be in the Jeep that has different coils before I buy new ones. If nothing else, I don't want 4" coils anymore. I finally admitted to myself that I'll never go bigger than a 35" tire.

So you consider evo plush ride coils "soft and sloppy"?
Ride quality is 100% subjective. Some people like a firm mattress, some like a soft mattress when they sleep. Same goes for ride comfort on a jeep.
You kind of lost me when you said teraflex makes "good products."
Also a lot if manufactures don't address roll center correctly. Lifts that use frame side drop brackets lower your roll center.

I can't speak for EVO Plush ride I never rode them. Yes you are right about personal choice, some prefer soft and other firm but there is pros and cons to each.
What frame side brackets are you referring to ?
Because if it's the geometry correction brackets you are talking about I'm not sure how they can lower the roll center because they lower only the rear part of the control arms from the frame and handling is greatly improved with them. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that on a JK because of the solid axle configuration, the front track bar, drag ling and pitman arm are more related to roll center than anything else.

He lost me when he said the teraflex ride was soft compared to his aev. I chuckled a little bit there

Teraflex 2.5'' coils on a JKUR are softer than AEV 2.5'' coils from my personal experience.

They also sit a bit lower than AEV and more sagging.

Coz did you not swap out your terracrap springs for the EVO Plush Rides.

I swapped out Pro-Crap springs for EVO Plush Rides and it is a world of difference. Just waiting fro authorization from SHMBO to go with coilovers and long arm. I think it will be quite some time.

If I may suggest is to ride in different JK's with different lifts and see which one you like, and if the owner is willing let you drive it. Riding and driving are two completely different feelings. JMHO

R/
Will

Teraflex 2.5'' coils on a JKUR are softer than AEV 2.5'' coils from my personal experience.

They also sit a bit lower than AEV and more sagging.

I have found that the shocks actually do make a difference when paired with coils. I was running the Pro-Crap 9000 series with my Plush Rides and the ride was rough. Then I paied the Plush Rides with Rancho RS9000 XL's and what a world of difference.

Again ride is very subjective. I am old and like a more softer on and off road ride than a younger kid.

R/
Will

Coz did you not swap out your terracrap springs for the EVO Plush Rides.

I swapped out Pro-Crap springs for EVO Plush Rides and it is a world of difference. Just waiting fro authorization from SHMBO to go with coilovers and long arm. I think it will be quite some time.

If I may suggest is to ride in different JK's with different lifts and see which one you like, and if the owner is willing let you drive it. Riding and driving are two completely different feelings. JMHO

R/
Will

nope not yet. waiting for a deal on 3" ones just like you. if i get picked for jkx tho i will just buy them :brows:

nope not yet. waiting for a deal on 3" ones just like you. if i get picked for jkx tho i will just buy them :brows:

Maybe the Brown Santa will send you some. I am waiting on coilovers. Once I get them you can have mine if you do not already have some. ;)

I have found that the shocks actually do make a difference when paired with coils. I was running the Pro-Crap 9000 series with my Plush Rides and the ride was rough. Then I paied the Plush Rides with Rancho RS9000 XL's and what a world of difference.

Again ride is very subjective. I am old and like a more softer on and off road ride than a younger kid.

R/
Will

Yes, teraflex paired with 9550 shocks vs AEV with bilstein 5100 is not a good comparison.

Bilstein 5100 are firm shocks

If both would have been paired with bilstein 5100 it would be a better comparison.

Thanks anyway for calling me a younger kid

works for me! just text me and let me know :yup:

It may be a while so I would not hold my breath. Momma has this thing about building a house first. Told her about phase two of my build and I though she was going to pass out. Looking at about $25k. :jaw drop:

It may be a while so I would not hold my breath. Momma has this thing about building a house first. Told her about phase two of my build and I though she was going to pass out. Looking at about $25k. :jaw drop:

LOL yea thats right i forgot about the house. im still woking on my first cup of coffee :grayno: time to chug this one and grab another :yup:

Yes, teraflex paired with 9550 shocks vs AEV with bilstein 5100 is not a good comparison.

Bilstein 5100 are firm shocks

If both would have been paired with bilstein 5100 it would be a better comparison.

Thanks anyway for calling me a younger kid

I was not necessarily referring to you, but of a generalization. I have several friends who are much younger than I who love to get beat around while driving their jeeps. Me personally I like the softer feel as it does not mess with my lower back as much.

:beer:

I can't speak for EVO Plush ride I never rode them. Yes you are right about personal choice, some prefer soft and other firm but there is pros and cons to each.
What frame side brackets are you referring to ?
Because if it's the geometry correction brackets you are talking about I'm not sure how they can lower the roll center because they lower only the rear part of the control arms from the frame and handling is greatly improved with them. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that on a JK because of the solid axle configuration, the front track bar, drag ling and pitman arm are more related to roll center than anything else.

I was just going by the thread title. If you're happy with your coils that's all that masters. It's your jeep.
You mentioned how stiff coils improve on road handling. I'm saying proper roll center correction is important also. Some companies don't address this or go with cheap fixes.

Screen Shot 2014-10-13 at 4.40.49 PM.jpg

EVO plush rides are in:
We finished the install on Saturday. Drag link flip kit was a tad confusing, and 13/16 bit is very difficult to find in any store. Looks like all the rake is gone. We forgot to do measurements before and after, but I do feel that I got a true 3 inch lift in the front and in the rear.

I've driven over 100 miles so far, and I think that's as soft as my Jeep is gonna ride. I am playing with the settings on the rancho shocks still, and the alignment isn't perfect just yet. Overall though I'm happy with it.

EDIT: Looks like the front is taller..
Screen Shot 2014-10-13 at 4.48.05 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks and I will try to get some better photos this week, weather forecast is horrible this week...

The only AEV part left on this Jeep after this weekend is the rear trackbar, everything else is gone. Wheeling it hopefully at the end of the month..

Top Bottom