Swanky Builds Thread

We got the stuff today to hopefully put an end to the "floating" or loose steering we get on long highway drives with Dirty. I'm hoping to get it installed this weekend BUT... I have to get Punkin's steering squared away first.

Lil-Punkin' has always been a bit more flighty than I liked, but after going through everything several times I had just come to the believe it was a short wheelbase issue. Then, while finally getting rid of the turd of a d-link (Synergy) we had, I noticed this.... It seems the previous owner enlisted a small metal eating hamster to alter the passenger knuckle for the d-link flip. Not only is the hole WAY too big, but it is also wallered out and oblong. I never noticed any movement on all the previous checks, but I can't imagine this is good and now I can't get the new d-link to properly tighten. So, I ordered a new knuckle and hopefully it will arrive today as well. If it does, This job comes first. :yup:

dEvDRFZyHggaotefq-uSqAg0_E52-N2s1rqPDEpFv7TH6lI39p5mFAfTpON-3XcDGtZYsJNPveFxVnx_f3VURaNJX2ip_2kNTkx6qR2R6zi9Vt9w2MGEVM7etUQThTK1-r0WP041lnyQX9TSvdCmwpn8MY-byvM9vAT3gz_ygEVd82W7X5ijvSEFek_O3XW4BNX6vBbSIT6We05CFmijS_VlFRpI1wGDR_9MkidR2gsFH0zMgunqmaryPYLe1v2ildpwHoliOPkoKQENSZGA7MVtmXCpflaIUlMtAsvER9ual7nMPbfvNFtzY9YU67qHmJLaVwxSD7YzXB1MpeJuZqlXi4iRKLGKAj41fzSQzIeMmvXRi3qjWCfoNevYD4QrFdP9kHbTgchjkjdOa_3nMQV8xx2qDqFOZHegU_xgt9WFovU14MxuJHlmv7LbbWuWCbLI52mWE71KVAOEPEHHcuENKl_TsNBduHTr49GD_H1_Ce5O--G2xJ2YKgh4EZmJ39VyqoRCVb2s3a5jBk6m8eOja2kljwREhzDZtOEiVWU=w491-h873-no

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Where did you order one from? I have the synergy bushing installed which I dont like the fitment with the oem draglink and want to get a new knuckle that I can redrill for the evo supplied bushing.

Where did you order one from? I have the synergy bushing installed which I dont like the fitment with the oem draglink and want to get a new knuckle that I can redrill for the evo supplied bushing.

It is part number 68004086AA. I ordered a Crown replacement (I ordered it from carparts.com) The factory one is over $300. I found one online for $120.

I also ordered a 13/16" drill bit. I've found using a two fluted 7/8" bit actually makes a larger hole than 7/8". I'm hoping the 13/16" will end out to 7/8" once done and if it doesn't I plan to use a diamond debur to finish it out for a perfect bushing fit...... At least that's the plan ;)

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
It is part number 68004086AA. I ordered a Crown replacement (I ordered it from carparts.com) The factory one is over $300. I found one online for $120.

I also ordered a 13/16" drill bit. I've found using a two fluted 7/8" bit actually makes a larger hole than 7/8". I'm hoping the 13/16" will end out to 7/8" once done and if it doesn't I plan to use a diamond debur to finish it out for a perfect bushing fit...... At least that's the plan ;)

I had the 13/16th and it worked perfect last time, but not sure who has it currently :grayno:

JAGS

Hooked
What draglink are you going with jay, since you don't like the synergy. I've gone through two OEM RHD draglink bushings in a year. Wondering if a better option? Or just continue with flipped stocker one.

I had the 13/16th and it worked perfect last time, but not sure who has it currently :grayno:

Not me :grayno: the one I have is very old and it looks like I got a little too carried away last time I used it and cooked it. I thought about sharpening it and likely will, but I want a for sure good one for this job so I ordered a new one :yup:

I know how it feels. In my old drag racing days we all treated tools like community property. The only problem was, I was the actual owner to most of them! I am missing a ton of tools (some large) and I have no idea where they went. :doh:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Not me :grayno: the one I have is very old and it looks like I got a little too carried away last time I used it and cooked it. I thought about sharpening it and likely will, but I want a for sure good one for this job so I ordered a new one :yup:

I know how it feels. In my old drag racing days we all treated tools like community property. The only problem was, I was the actual owner to most of them! I am missing a ton of tools (some large) and I have no idea where they went. :doh:

Now that you say about the 7/8 bit thats prolly my exact problem I ran into. I mean the synergy bushing fits perfectly and tight but its not made for the stock ends. Its tight and all, but just doesnt look correct to me.

What draglink are you going with jay, since you don't like the synergy. I've gone through two OEM RHD draglink bushings in a year. Wondering if a better option? Or just continue with flipped stocker one.

Going back to stock on Punkin' (well a RHD one anyway). http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?28711-Swanky-Builds-Thread&p=557131&viewfull=1#post557131

I know they may not last long, but at least they can be adjusted after a winter and they are cheap to replace. :yup:

I made my own d-link for Dirty and is is holding up well (knock on wood). I had to to clear my ram. I am not running a flipped d-link on Dirty and I needed a little deeper bend for clearance.

Now that you say about the 7/8 bit thats prolly my exact problem I ran into. I mean the synergy bushing fits perfectly and tight but its not made for the stock ends. Its tight and all, but just doesnt look correct to me.

The hole in the knuckle that Punkin' currently has is 0.902-0.935". I got it tight but after one day on the road it worked loose. :grayno: I can't have my lady rolling with this. It's a must fix.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I can just order a normal 13/16th right? Worried about getting the wrong one and ruining another knuckle.

I can just order a normal 13/16th right? Worried about getting the wrong one and ruining another knuckle.

:yup: Synergy site actually recommends a 7/8" (0.875") drill bit, but I have had better luck with 13/16" (0.8125"). I've found that the 13/16" when hand drilled will yield an end result much closer to the target diameter. In the result it doesn't, it's too small and can be fixed. Once the metal is gone, you are pretty much screwed.

Havoc40

:yup: Synergy site actually recommends a 7/8" (0.875") drill bit, but I have had better luck with 13/16" (0.8125"). I've found that the 13/16" when hand drilled will yield an end result much closer to the target diameter. In the result it doesn't, it's too small and can be fixed. Once the metal is gone, you are pretty much screwed.

You're ending up with a .060" oversized hole using a 13/16" drill :thinking:!? What kind of drill bits are you using? I drilled mine with a 51/64, then finished with a 13/16. While drilling I kept squirting Tap Magic onto the bit. Checking with gauge pins I couldn't fit a .8125" pin in my hole. It ended up about .002" smaller than target. The supplied bushing from EVO fit like a glove.

You're ending up with a .060" oversized hole using a 13/16" drill :thinking:!? What kind of drill bits are you using? I drilled mine with a 51/64, then finished with a 13/16. While drilling I kept squirting Tap Magic onto the bit. Checking with gauge pins I couldn't fit a .8125" pin in my hole. It ended up about .002" smaller than target. The supplied bushing from EVO fit like a glove.

No, closer to 0.30-0.40". (I did say closer to the target). I usually still need to run a debur around a few times to finish but I MUCH prefer undersized than over. The problem is doing it with a hand drill. It really doesn't take much misalignment or shift from a bite to do this.

Havoc40

No, closer to 0.30-0.40". (I did say closer to the target). I usually still need to run a debur around a few times to finish but I MUCH prefer undersized than over. The problem is doing it with a hand drill. It really doesn't take much misalignment or shift from a bite to do this.

Ahh...got ya. I was about to say, you'd almost have to intentionally waller the drill around to be off by .060" LOL!

I cheated a little and didn't drill mine by hand. I have a Jancy mag drill mounted on an adj. angle base, that I mounted on my roll around for this project.

Ahh...got ya. I was about to say, you'd almost have to intentionally waller the drill around to be off by .060" LOL!

Yea, I don't know how the original driller of my wife's Jeep ended up with damn near a 1" hole!

I cheated a little and didn't drill mine by hand. I have a Jancy mag drill mounted on an adj. angle base, that I mounted on my roll around for this project.

That makes a huge difference. I plan to jig up the new knuckle to drill it with a press, but normally I Just do them by hand on the Jeep. The cast is much softer than one would expect. If you get a little crooked it will definitely chew out the sides. :dont_tell:

Havoc40

Yea, I don't know how the original driller of my wife's Jeep ended up with damn near a 1" hole!

That makes a huge difference. I plan to jig up the new knuckle to drill it with a press, but normally I Just do them by hand on the Jeep. The cast is much softer than one would expect. If you get a little crooked it will definitely chew out the sides. :dont_tell:

I saw the .902"/.935" number and scratched my head as well. That's crazy.

I drill roughly 100,000 holes with +/- .0005" tolerance in parts each week at work, so drills are something I know all to well. It's amazing how soft cast is...it's also abrasive like aluminum and kills drills.

Anyway, I derailed this enough. Love your guys Jeeps. One of these days I'll have to see them in person...I'm from Ohio as well. My family lives around the Zanesville area. I went to UNOH in Lima and lived there a few years.

I saw the .902"/.935" number and scratched my head as well. That's crazy.

I drill roughly 100,000 holes with +/- .0005" tolerance in parts each week at work, so drills are something I know all to well. It's amazing how soft cast is...it's also abrasive like aluminum and kills drills.

Anyway, I derailed this enough. Love your guys Jeeps. One of these days I'll have to see them in person...I'm from Ohio as well. My family lives around the Zanesville area. I went to UNOH in Lima and lived there a few years.

hahaha :cheesy: I'd guess over 2k of my posts are some sort of derailment! It's all good :yup:

That's got to be some kind of sacrilege being from OH and ending up in MI. :grayno: We live between Cincinnati and Columbus along I-71. If you know the geographics well you know why we drive so far to wheel. Nothing but freaking corn, beans, and mud around me :grayno:

Top Bottom