Swanky Builds Thread

Knuckle and adapter wasn't delivered Friday for Punkin' :( So, we didn't jump into the steering parts on Dirty. We were concerned that if we didn't get done we would be two Jeeps down. So, it looks like Alana is driving Dirty to work tomorrow.

It all worked out anyways because it's cold as hell today and I don't want to work outside. Last night got down to 29 and todays high is 37. A day like today in Feb would feel like summer this weather in fall feels cold and is a total downer.

We need to move out west......

Knuckle came in today along with the new drill but and spacer/adapter so I got busy....

VwjN5dCEhBqZdRJUuCu6DFq2azWA0ZWNNl-MQxvkE-RxzBx8YT1GSPZFbsve5HjcTzQcyDuicrY27uv28UEsYfT3MryTEqR3F6FuKkwau9m-DI7tU-nxvEJfOZCfEruYfmd9DQUld527qUcfWaktUCtDVp1cS7jFhm5xTTSEJma_H8PKIXQQqNVs7AE7c_4WpmKLpoMO3XzaG76fxSZyXCfRaa_rx8sBuGlFjgheIHD-pNq-khu8kw2tYPvlDsMM9Eeyvpngky7NBI7Ztttt0kvd8k45SCQygf0DSlhYavuY0vwbbAWl1lpqEJ5PHDcaPvi0VNb_UdIgwp5omPPSomXvuVt7J8T9EOTAAFiBdSlxcFm3RzEi8tSpIxCFF156Dr95jtCa-gbisI2IbSh8nQ8vGTW5O4vBl81usPENwQF2PCqd6YybpjigaAq94oXnJrp24fuMmMQ6iUcni4X4g8nYAxpG-EbnY0zNPKKgaEKQCBVoIn_btZd2op_1ant6yC5E9Rdt-LH7I6tria7nQNq_397HfZMpW7E7imdAyxs=w1072-h604-no

Drilled....
Look ma' a ROUND hole LOL
LqnK_u-6htpsitYWVVhGWnTFLTOjzXgINxza1jTXIGdqNb7UEkZS6-pjKNxtVDi4Gaf_InH-8Em_T1VFVZIDjbc42gRyJBdAIxb3vy-JEDVik6KzFMXUAckyuoxwbcEXZ2SN0vvCktazh9szDB876jzuDnrjgQ50zBlk71apIigQ_D1ItL90l6V65rPrMtOrA3mcpA-EDGrJgJifiITGM7mvAQU0MZ3olAMZ9nPt9GAfWetw2RyU1Hjk0Ky2J4lz8KLuYwa85n0SPCqxQetOFiM7nHsZ-PU4v5kFbqM47k8HscjwlfZDUK7lad4rKyNHABGOmXC-bOW7dRENtArvusBl-4b76V-30Fz3gQwgO6s2Wm9GsqHhK3qYQCDJ3OexBQSv0ZgBhyKnXldLfJ1JrA3ro6ONprbbpoIzEq4-0Lw-AJ587Fxfspz-CCyW_PjPBCXAP09zjTkLcvs8Viz22qUcvtHWy3We6ov8luWlG15fXWCIf8V5br0SP0b_Hr8z6Pl60eLQRMPegYBVJkdcwOf5Njvyg8REs4KFPMZ32GQ=w1072-h604-no

Paint Prepped....
oRTJVD8KHRy4khdumPL1XLNHR9igO_YKIAKBffW_W7M62MAmmx6NrxvGvWkRv6ivDZCmYKDEGPMUZA9YhXIoDgi0cItAVsa1mr2OFl7yynr4dQ0RQWOULvZNDDV_4uN3mpKS2D1LlJLbRsxneuQWUWt3PHBHzg2-d-f94exzqOjXYZVc9nzyrwKR5AKpFZHrisYqLhdJKkSMblY9k4AVCXJwG5msZD08bmOT4kDpZpFRQn04aNjjp-GPjWqr7gd0GOC6lCFTLA0rsCOb1ejzWLMSXHl_ZF8ABaAGELCNAvbey3DFBXvrCs7muZaVChOv1ESkB5Fk20eeikXIHU1pJ8e6uhgBE-Ds2lcDu6Veceuy0x2cTWGOZVmZj2ND1d-c_qa5pFsil4siN0u-igK4p5VPUVvuQof5Fnm-glzdYIuttZ_ekfWKwN5K8d0wPaAbVm-v_A2Fj86P1Y64x1JU3BdiRnvqVjFzpd0ZkqKb9B_bCq8k-gZDvu08shuBImOBZZMeisAHGDEE-w8Nxavl0rfSVqpmovHT6k4Ixmf2seo=w1072-h604-no

...and first coat of primer. (Unfortunately, this is all that will likely happen this week :grayno: )
KhBN4-cNf-hBr6jJfQKpSxnsLFUQ72dDTdRYvBSZ5hd-7MQ8LYfap5ZSykkX9Ee9Kf7_HY12OWp3sD-dWO3OlS1cYujwNzvayuc7xaiPrpJwVMHLgPQFAwjQ6XLdfMMbaA0riVt3PbPUotBc8yDPzWRLO5CMoRi6fCCKE95n4vuB_3OCfdPV1y510EfA2mpc8x8n8J9BW52xz8fN0fET_SBknvLSprXuZclxo02o3-kw6jF5fdKA92Mxd2dithdWouGN2lIK6ntXvjuq15D6EtnY9Ts9VNBbaXrpadVbUIkTsoBECB0v2VwkrGIAMno-gj6-0Ea3wLLEragd4ixLHbPp8EVs9tSiQOyxhwCSSF9D5VVW4E2XWLIa5ff3zlzP3bIBikE10N8vSACm4qZvBrYsmHw82SIGmaeq4V_81xoVVOzniX5XkTeZA9WsURM5c4yKn8qJIksmscFXDYCNQioId3zLZL59EqaTo7PmsYcb5R20poxnXCrE7f_yuoDTn9esYxpYVD_WVp05WVtbEWD0yVOIdgvTcZQHlaITTxs=w1072-h604-no

Oh, and I made a temporary home for our spare axle... I will likely not do anything with this until closer to spring when our trailer is ready.
CyPeLA3ortYaWLP8ZvJ3fPwtADOoHF_j-6CHJlo5I5EccYTPtbbfIqigP6zqrW5F2FluEkeHej9Mo2DBHYFtSHbIjXMzpDdvn7NOLVf3c4TeTSMQy8oUv-xsBf7pHXC_W8DTp_BSyiwM8x_7ncZJa9m64lmVPiwjqsiovVmBbrzaVEqTN9GfNXP-E3tfqlSKlNL9_00SqaGznIfdeCKceVGXtnFiRiQ6VCJmOrL8Bj6kyq0OB01nLBZ0ZJFstDxibuFZWK6rQKdrdXC_x5yD9iIa_AK_6QOQz-OJ5-q58wOozc9g7D8uw-mYpPp0br349lWL_JlSKaTGIiBj96B2QHwawaZmuLAK50HrpxHLFWt4FzMiD8te3MgTtfJrhRJYkNGO3zB4OMQbzhmPUxn8vB2X0kASwTh3Yj6NwE7YUQGMjQwr2dNUrUxnPEla1SUUZOib-IIaSy_bwT8WePgXFaMnmmRXVkg5t6g0IKiXMpC-1FrbeEbdeUf15khfnUUemNsgwXU7A5ZsBe7L4400GSLFR-A2diVNVHcvuCkOPsA=w1072-h604-no

I have been able to sneak just a bit of progress in this week. I just wrapped up winter prepping Dirty's belly. (Not near as involved as Punkin' since she doesn't leave the shop all winter unless their is an emergency.) ...and I also got Punkin's replacement knuckle painted and ready for install.

Attachments

• 1445470464481.jpg
    1445470464481.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 1445470506089.jpg
    1445470506089.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 121

09blackruby

Question, I also store my jeep in the garage during the winter to avoid the salt. Was wondering if you do anything special to the fuel as well as any other winterizing techniques. I've stored this jeep each winter since 09 and my last one for many years without any issues except, this last winter. This spring the jeep sputtered a bit at low rpms for a while.. After a couple weeks of driving it seemed to work itself out. Just curious how you go about it. To add, I've been using STA-BIL in the fuel and just starting it every few weeks..

Last edited:
Question, I also store my jeep in the garage during the winter to avoid the salt. Was wondering if you do anything special to the fuel as well as any other winterizing techniques. I've stored this jeep each winter since 09 and my last one for many years without any issues except, this last winter. This spring the jeep sputtered a bit at low rpms for a while.. After a couple weeks of driving it seemed to work itself out. Just curious how you go about it. To add, I've been using STA-BIL in the fuel and just starting it every few weeks..

With my OCD I have to have "techniques" LOL

I spray Pam on the frame and metal underneath. It is an easy cleanup in spring and will help with the rust that forms from condensation on fall/spring big temp swings.

I use Sta-Bil as well but this really only helps with moisture. Gasoline today has a fair amount of ethanol in it which means it looses octane with age. To help fight this I fill my last tank with premium.

I put it on jack stands. Sitting on concrete is hard on the tires and will cause flat spotting. This also allows me to not only run the engine occasionally but I will also put it in 4LO and let the tires roll in place to move the transmission, transfer case, and gear oil around.

I spray Pam on the frame and metal underneath. It is an easy cleanup in spring and will help with the rust that forms from condensation on fall/spring big temp swings.

I use Sta-Bil as well but this really only helps with moisture. Gasoline today has a fair amount of ethanol in it which means it looses octane with age. To help fight this I fill my last tank with premium.

I put it on jack stands. Sitting on concrete is hard on the tires and will cause flat spotting. This also allows me to not only run the engine occasionally but I will also put it in 4LO and let the tires roll in place to move the transmission, transfer case, and gear oil around.

You need to just make it your DD!!! LOL

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

One thing I learned from winterized get the boat and jet ski is that you want as little gas in the tank as possible. I usually leave about a gallon left in the tank or less of possible. Then when it comes time to start it in the spring fill it up fully before you run it and your good to go.

Seeing how you run the jeep tho keeping it full with premium would/does work as you stated

noroad

I have talked with a couple high up people about fuel stabilizers (this was about 4 years ago) they all clam that it does nothing, and was advised to put small amounts of gas in every so often and then turn on the engine ever so often to keep things moving. worked for me for years never had a problem.

I have talked with a couple high up people about fuel stabilizers (this was about 4 years ago) they all clam that it does nothing, and was advised to put small amounts of gas in every so often and then turn on the engine ever so often to keep things moving. worked for me for years never had a problem.

High up or not.... They are wrong. I've have personal experience and knowledge that it helps. But as I mentioned before it is only for moisture.

As far as the amount of fuel... The reasoning behind having only a little is so that when you fill with fresh the lost octane is fixed. If you deal with or correct the lost octane on the front end its not really an issue.

At least it hasn't been for me, and I store our 64' for most of the year. It literally will run a tank of gas through a year (on a busy year).

09blackruby

All good info. I think I'll stick to using STA-BIL and just fill with super before I actually park it. I can actually get ethanol free (or at least they say it is) fuel relatively close to me so, that's an option too. As far as the Pam on the frame.. I've never heard of this before but it makes sense. My friends already think I'm crazy for parking a perfectly good 4 wheel drive jeep in the winter as I drive a Honda Accord while the jeep is parked. I think if I start spraying Pam on it they may look to put me in some type of a home.. [emoji4]. Kidding. Thanks for all the good info.

All good info. I think I'll stick to using STA-BIL and just fill with super before I actually park it. I can actually get ethanol free (or at least they say it is) fuel relatively close to me so, that's an option too. As far as the Pam on the frame.. I've never heard of this before but it makes sense. My friends already think I'm crazy for parking a perfectly good 4 wheel drive jeep in the winter as I drive a Honda Accord while the jeep is parked. I think if I start spraying Pam on it they may look to put me in some type of a home.. [emoji4]. Kidding. Thanks for all the good info.

The Pam is an old drag racing trick. We use is on the rear quarter panels to make cleaning rubber from burnouts off. I noticed these wheel wells didn't rust and started using it everywhere.

You can use silicone based WD-40 too but it costs way more. Don't use regular WD-40 as it is very hard on the rubber parts.

Edit: I also do this when I know I will be wheeling in heavy clay mud. Cleanup is WAY easier. ;)

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
High up or not.... They are wrong. I've have personal experience and knowledge that it helps. But as I mentioned before it is only for moisture.

As far as the amount of fuel... The reasoning behind having only a little is so that when you fill with fresh the lost octane is fixed. If you deal with or correct the lost octane on the front end its not really an issue.

At least it hasn't been for me, and I store our 64' for most of the year. It literally will run a tank of gas through a year (on a busy year).

That's why I said (or at least implied) your method works for you since you run it over the winter while my ski and boat just sit from now till April/may

Havoc40

So

The Pam is an old drag racing trick. We use is on the rear quarter panels to make cleaning rubber from burnouts off. I noticed these wheel wells didn't rust and started using it everywhere.

You can use silicone based WD-40 too but it costs way more. Don't use regular WD-40 as it is very hard on the rubber parts.

Edit: I also do this when I know I will be wheeling in heavy clay mud. Cleanup is WAY easier. ;)

Been doing this on hot rods for years as well with silicone based WD. Got tired of taping off the rear quarters with painters tape. Never even occurred to me to do the same for wheeling in Ohio's lovely clay! Thanks for the tip :)

I also bought some of that WD rust inhibitor the other day to spray my coilovers and undercarriage. So, we'll see how it works this winter.

Been doing this on hot rods for years as well with silicone based WD. Got tired of taping off the rear quarters with painters tape. Never even occurred to me to do the same for wheeling in Ohio's lovely clay! Thanks for the tip :)

I also bought some of that WD rust inhibitor the other day to spray my coilovers and undercarriage. So, we'll see how it works this winter.

Sweet! I did notice it dries hard, so you might want to wipe the excess off. Especially on the coilover rod.

Havoc40

Sweet! I did notice it dries hard, so you might want to wipe the excess off. Especially on the coilover rod.

I sprayed 1 and it was kind of a pain, so I soaked a rag and wiped it on the rest of the coilovers. For the undercarriage, I sprayed and wiped excess. Going this route was way cheaper than buying a 5gal bucket of the stuff we use on raw steel at the shop...hopefully it works!

WJCO

Meme King

I myself have had good luck with STABIL. We have a generator that has gas and stabil in it for 5 years now, and hardly ever used. We start it every spring for about 10 minutes and so far, it has been fine every year. We used about 1.5 times the recommended amount back then. I have not used it in a vehicle for that length of time, but generator works well. I do the same for my lawnmower too with good luck.

Top Bottom