Swanky Builds Thread

Looks like last years rust prevention attempts worked out pretty well. I was going to try some new stuff, but now I'm thinking I should just stick with what I did before.

Attachments

• 1444495552689.jpg
    1444495552689.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 117

scull20

Looks like last years rust prevention attempts worked out pretty well. I was going to try some new stuff, but now I'm thinking I should just stick with what I did before.

What did you do before?

Edit: nevermind, I read the previous post...Ace Hardware Semi-Gloss.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Gotta tell you man, you are my new hero. Was sitting on my deck eating lunch and enjoying the gorgeous Fall day today looking over your build thread and wifey comes up and says, " what are you looking at?" So I show her some of your photos and then I go back to page one and show her the photo of you and your wife together with your Jeeps. I said, why don't we get rid of your Escape and get you a nice 2 door and we can fix it up and have 2 cool Jeeps like you guys. SHE SAID YES! :jaw drop::wings::celebrate::celebrate:
YOU ARE THE MAN!

HAHAHA! Now I'll be able to start a thread titled "Does your wife buy too much stuff for her Jeep!' Love it! Irony gets you all the time!

What did you do before?

Edit: nevermind, I read the previous post...Ace Hardware Semi-Gloss.

The paint is just the last step. First I wire brush the loose stuff. Then I spray with a rust converter. Next comes a zinc based primer like Rustoleum heavy rust primer. Finally comes the paint. Still, every fall I spray the belly with used ATF (I use an old bug sprayer). A little goes a long way.

This year instead of ATF I am trying WD-40s annual rust prevention treatment. I'm hoping it will not be as messy.

Gotta tell you man, you are my new hero. Was sitting on my deck eating lunch and enjoying the gorgeous Fall day today looking over your build thread and wifey comes up and says, " what are you looking at?" So I show her some of your photos and then I go back to page one and show her the photo of you and your wife together with your Jeeps. I said, why don't we get rid of your Escape and get you a nice 2 door and we can fix it up and have 2 cool Jeeps like you guys. SHE SAID YES! :jaw drop::wings::celebrate::celebrate:
YOU ARE THE MAN!

HAHAHA! Now I'll be able to start a thread titled "Does your wife buy too much stuff for her Jeep!' Love it! Irony gets you all the time!

LOL, awesome! Glad we could contribute to further delinquency.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, but the light sucks in our shop at night.

We made some progress today. Everything is cleaned and repainted. I also finally installed Alana's new fog lights I got her for our anniversary. There was nothing wrong with the others but she hated the color difference between her TruckLites so she wouldn't use the fogs.

I also finally replaced the POS Synergy drag link with a the stocker I got a while ago on Amazon.

WD-40 treatment tomorrow and lube everything. Then Lil-Punkin' is ready for winter. Tomorrow is Dirty's turn.

Attachments

• 1444520760054.jpg
    1444520760054.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 1444520790624.jpg
    1444520790624.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 131
So we just wrapped up getting Lil-Punkin' completely ready. I gotta' say, the WD-40 product was very easy to put on and went much farther than I had expected. One can is enough to liberally coat the whole underside of the Jeep. If the stuff works at all the $11.50 a can is more than worth it. The only real negative is that if finishes very glossy. While I don't really like this it isn't really any worse than after an ATF treatment and it's a whole lot less messy. :yup:

Here is what I got and sprayed on.
IMG_20151011_135449488_HDR.jpg

Other than regular spray washes throughout winter I we will not be retreating. So, here is what everything looks like now. I will try to take the same pictures in the Spring so everyone can see how the stuff works.

IMG_20151011_135254280.jpg
IMG_20151011_135302697.jpg
IMG_20151011_135311015.jpg
IMG_20151011_135320826.jpg
IMG_20151011_135329563.jpg
IMG_20151011_135336889.jpg
IMG_20151011_135347504.jpg
IMG_20151011_135418009.jpg
IMG_20151011_135510206_HDR.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
Damn Jay, that looks like some good prep. How long before the bad weather starts to hit? Here, it's been 100 nearly the entire week. [emoji16][emoji295]️[emoji295]️

So,....... on a sadder note...... I found this today :grayno:

IMG_20151011_140437389.jpg

I've had these lights on for a very long time and this has never been an issue. I'm 90% sure this happened while wheeling last weekend and flexing. I think this is the result of a trifecta of things that have been happening throughout the year. One - I've been adding more tools and carrying more weight. Two - The body can't twist as much now that I have the cage in and the frame is flexing more as I continue to wheel. Three - (the biggest reason) My body mounts have sagged a bit ans are not as tall as they used to be. Possible from flex and/or use. In any case, I am now sure this is why I had to add just a bit more bump to keep my front tires out of... well everything.

So, what now.... well, I was already asking Santa for some corner armor and Rigid Dually lights to replace these. Now that I have some body work to do, this may get bumped up on the list. ;)

Damn Jay, that looks like some good prep. How long before the bad weather starts to hit? Here, it's been 100 nearly the entire week. [emoji16][emoji295]️[emoji295]️

Thanks man, and no need to rub it in! Plow-able snow usually won't happen until late December, but our days where I can paint (highs above 60) are numbered now.

Do you just spray it on there or do you have to wipe it on there?

Spray... I did wipe some areas to make make it lay better. It dries hard and is a tad splotchy when just left alone after spraying.

Strong work Jay. Thanks for sharing the wd40 stuff. I hadnt seen that. Sorry bout the damage, but at least it gives you a bit of leverage for the armour.

Top Bottom