Speedy Cracker the 392

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Today was a beautiful day and with all the 392 talk I decided to do some mods on my 392. 🤣

My lovely wife rolls her eyes when I say I’m keeping my mods to a bare minimum on the 392 and I am committed to that. The first mod is going to be some stiffer springs. I do think the ride is a bit soft in the 392 especially considering how much power it has. I do not want or need more lift I only want a firmer ride. I believe I can accomplish that with some better tires and heavier springs.

First the springs. I bought a set of 4 Clayton Off-road springs. I installed these same springs on the front of the Gladiator and we have been very happy with them. The ride is much better and it took a bit of the ’rake’ out of it and it sits more level from front to rear.

The 392 will get a set of 4 springs, although I only had time to install the fronts today.

1682281805865.jpeg

I measured the height with the stock springs.

1682282236043.jpeg

Taking off the old springs. There are a couple of brackets routing important items That must be removed before you let the axle droop enough to pull the strings out.

1682282120886.jpeg

Unbolting the sway bar. This is where I realize most of my tools are in my JK! I guess I need to buy more tools! 😉
1682282290315.jpeg

New springs in place.

1682282407718.jpeg

Let’s see how much taller it is with the new springs.
1682282486880.jpeg

So it does sit taller by a bit, however once I bolt on a Warn Winch it would be about right.

We took it out for a spin and it definitely has less roll and a much firmer ride- this with only the front Clayton springs installed. So far I am very happy with the results. 👍🏻🇺🇸👍🏻

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Today was a beautiful day and with all the 392 talk I decided to do some mods on my 392. 🤣

My lovely wife rolls her eyes when I say I’m keeping my mods to a bare minimum on the 392 and I am committed to that. The first mod is going to be some stiffer springs. I do think the ride is a bit soft in the 392 especially considering how much power it has. I do not want or need more lift I only want a firmer ride. I believe I can accomplish that with some better tires and heavier springs.

First the springs. I bought a set of 4 Clayton Off-road springs. I installed these same springs on the front of the Gladiator and we have been very happy with them. The ride is much better and it took a bit of the ’rake’ out of it and it sits more level from front to rear.

The 392 will get a set of 4 springs, although I only had time to install the fronts today.

View attachment 388474

I measured the height with the stock springs.

View attachment 388476

Taking off the old springs. There are a couple of brackets routing important items That must be removed before you let the axle droop enough to pull the strings out.

View attachment 388475

Unbolting the sway bar. This is where I realize most of my tools are in my JK! I guess I need to buy more tools! 😉
View attachment 388477

New springs in place.

View attachment 388478

Let’s see how much taller it is with the new springs.
View attachment 388479

So it does sit taller by a bit, however once I bolt on a Warn Winch it would be about right.

We took it out for a spin and it definitely has less roll and a much firmer ride- this with only the front Clayton springs installed. So far I am very happy with the results. 👍🏻🇺🇸👍🏻
LOL - nice! And yes, I've always felt like the 392 suspension was on the soft side. I always feel like I bottom out on the dumbest things.

Glad to see you working on your 392 and with such nice weather

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Today we installed the half doors. My lovely wife wanted to help out so she decided to watch Eddie’s video on installing them. She even took notes! 😳

The video is very helpful and she was all over it.

1687052439744.jpeg

It was a really nice day so we pulled the panels off the front.
1687052515398.jpeg

I definitely need bigger tires. 🤔

After we finished we took it for a spin. Damn this thing will MOVE OUT! It never gets old! It makes my stomach hurt from laughing so much. To be honest I have not had it to the floor yet but it gets to 85 so fast it’s crazy.

On one hand I’d like bigger tires but I hate to loose the acceleration. Honestly I’d do 35’s but would likely swap gears to 4.56 like the XR package has. I tried to order the XR but it was not available when I placed my order and I was hesitant to wait.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Today we installed the half doors. My lovely wife wanted to help out so she decided to watch Eddie’s video on installing them. She even took notes! 😳

View attachment 391123

View attachment 391124

After we finished we took it for a spin. Damn this thing will MOVE OUT! It never gets old! It makes my stomach hurt from laughing so much. To be honest I have not had it to the floor yet but it gets to 85 so fast it’s crazy.

On one hand I’d like bigger tires but I hate to loose the acceleration. Honestly I’d do 35’s but would likely swap gears to 4.56 like the XR package has. I tried to order the XR but it was not available when I placed my order and I was hesitant to wait.
LOL - awesome!!! Glad our video was helpful and the struggle for bigger tires or crazy fun get up and go is real. I’m already wanting a regear because of the power loss we have 🙁

JT@623

Hooked

View attachment 391123

View attachment 391124

The XR on the 35’s is a good combo it gets to 80 pretty quick

AZVAJKU

Hooked
We have had Speedy Cracker a year now.

The wife reminded me of this and the fact that I took her to Buc-ee’s for our anniversary during our drive home from Nashville. 😂🤣

Speedy now has a grand total of 4,510 miles. It remains totally stock with the exception of the stiffer springs.

I still have not pushed him to his limit yet and the fastest speed I’ve driven it is 96 mph when some Bronco tried to flex on me. Speedy went from 60 to 96 in the blink of an eye, I’m still incredibly impressed with this Jeep.

At some point I’ll do 35-inch Nittos and a winch. Seriously.

Then out to Jeremy for a gear change.

1692446681429.jpeg

Traciehue

The wife reminded me of this and the fact that I took her to Buc-ee’s for our anniversary during our drive home from Nashville. 😂🤣

Speedy now has a grand total of 4,510 miles. It remains totally stock with the exception of the stiffer springs.

I still have not pushed him to his limit yet and the fastest speed I’ve driven it is 96 mph when some Bronco tried to flex on me. Speedy went from 60 to 96 in the blink of an eye, I’m still incredibly impressed with this Jeep.

View attachment 394449
It should be noted that she did not complain in any way about an Anniversary dinner at Buc-ee’s.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

That is just criminal!

Brute

Hooked

View attachment 394449
On my last drive down to Henderson from WA, I was in northern NV leaving Jackpot when I was passing a Ram truck on a long straightaway…the idiot decided to speed up so I couldn’t pass him…he quit when I hit 110…the 392 was solid and in full contact with the road

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On my last drive down to Henderson from WA, I was in northern NV leaving Jackpot when I was passing a Ram truck on a long straightaway…the idiot decided to speed up so I couldn’t pass him…he quit when I hit 110…the 392 was solid and in full contact with the road
110 in your 392?

View attachment 394449
Look forward to it! We also just so happen to have a brewery and tap house in town 🤷🏼‍♂️

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Really? That's pretty gay. Customers buy these things to have fun with.

I've done 105 with our 2.0L. It was on accident passing an asshat though.
Can't make this shit up. Like you, I've driven our other JL's and our JT above 100 while passing here in Nevada and without blinking an eye. Our 392, as soon as it hits 99, it's like hitting a wall. The power cuts out and it just keeps you there - it's infuriating.

Brute

Hooked
110 in your 392?
Yup
Can't make this shit up. Like you, I've driven our other JL's and our JT above 100 while passing here in Nevada and without blinking an eye. Our 392, as soon as it hits 99, it's like hitting a wall. The power cuts out and it just keeps you there - it's infuriating.
I was still accelerating after passing 99...I'm wondering if it has something to do with the Extreme Recon pkg...

Top Bottom