Snake season!

Basscat

I've seen all kinds down south. Here is one today I came across after a feeding. You really got to be careful. I've walked over some venomous snakes while on trails. Very lucky indeed. One way to tell it venomous are the shape of their heads and the how the eyes look. I'm no expert just what I've read.

View attachment 33054

Exception being the Coral Snake and God knows what non indigenous species have been released in the US (Mamba, etc.)!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Desertman

One of the kids got bit by an Arabian sand viper. Quite rare as I have met guy who lives out in the desert and has only seen 1 in the last 20 years. We were lucky and called in a rescue helicopter and got him to hospital. The poison from these snakes causes the flesh to die in the area around the bite. But the kid was ok but it was a long week in hospital for him.

Good news he is ok. Our group now take more care where we camp now.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
One of the kids got bit by an Arabian sand viper. Quite rare as I have met guy who lives out in the desert and has only seen 1 in the last 20 years. We were lucky and called in a rescue helicopter and got him to hospital. The poison from these snakes causes the flesh to die in the area around the bite. But the kid was ok but it was a long week in hospital for him.

Good news he is ok. Our group now take more care where we camp now.

I have read of suck a snake bite. That would be crazy, and glad they are alright.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah, well that all depends of the location of the bite! :cheesy:

There's an old joke where 2 guys are hunting and one of them goes to take a leak and gets bit on his pecker by a rattlesnake. Friend runs for help and talks to a doctor. Doctor tells him that he'll have to suck the poison out or his friend will die. The guy returns to his injured friend and tells him that he talked to a doctor. He tells him "Good news and bad news....doctor said if I suck the poison out that you will live.....the bad news is that you're going to die."

black pearl

Hooked
I have read of suck a snake bite. That would be crazy, and glad they are alright.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have a buddy that got bit by a rattlesnake on the hand. Always heard to suck the venom out, bad idea it just puts the venom into your mouth. The doctor even said that's something you always hear but it's a bad idea. Now I carry a snake bit kit, in my hiking pack and jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
This thread is worse than the spider thread.

4bf01dfb9149044ca30d628abb2751ae--nope-cat-food.jpg

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I have a buddy that got bit by a rattlesnake on the hand. Always heard to suck the venom out, bad idea it just puts the venom into your mouth. The doctor even said that's something you always hear but it's a bad idea. Now I carry a snake bit kit, in my hiking pack and jeep.

You should toss the kit too. They aren't worth a shit (I have several taking up space buried away in my garage). Some time ago, a friend of Moochie's daughter's was bit in the toe/foot at a newbie Jeep event. Her treatment was incredibly expensive. In any event, that incident led to a long conversation with some doctors who were on the forum, and I performed a bunch of research on the Sawyer Extractor and similar kits. Bottom line, they don't work. The maker of Sawyer even had to retract much of its advertising (which is why you don't hear much about the kits anymore).

If you get bit, stay calm and get help. Antivenin is the only thing that works.

black pearl

Hooked

Good to know about the kits ... after my friend had his finger amputated from it. I did a lot of reading, didn't see to much about the kits. At the time it was more of a, couldn't hurt type of thing. All the reading confirmed the stay calm, keep hydrated and FIND help.

Andy5160

Hooked
There's an old joke where 2 guys are hunting and one of them goes to take a leak and gets bit on his pecker by a rattlesnake. Friend runs for help and talks to a doctor. Doctor tells him that he'll have to suck the poison out or his friend will die. The guy returns to his injured friend and tells him that he talked to a doctor. He tells him "Good news and bad news....doctor said if I suck the poison out that you will live.....the bad news is that you're going to die."

I am cracking down now :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Sharkey

Word Ninja

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
You should toss the kit too. They aren't worth a shit (I have several taking up space buried away in my garage). Some time ago, a friend of Moochie's daughter's was bit in the toe/foot at a newbie Jeep event. Her treatment was incredibly expensive. In any event, that incident led to a long conversation with some doctors who were on the forum, and I performed a bunch of research on the Sawyer Extractor and similar kits. Bottom line, they don't work. The maker of Sawyer even had to retract much of its advertising (which is why you don't hear much about the kits anymore).

I'm a pharmacist. Sharkey is correct. Try to keep the victim immobilized, and to an emergency room, asap.

black pearl

Hooked

Great information! Learn something new everyday. Today it was for safety, as I spend a lot of time in the mountains.

That's what I like so much about this forum. People spreading facts, instead of misinformation on so many topics.

Plus sometimes searching the internet it's hard to tell truth from fiction. Without a shit ton of cross referencing.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
^^ I hear you! Like anything, we have to be informed consumers and do our own research at a level that meets our own particular needs for "truth". I seriously have three of those extractor kits just hidden away in my garage now. Unfortunately, I bought into the hype and spent my money before doing my own independent research. Lesson learned. :beer:

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

Went on a hike this morning. Sister and her husband and kids saw a 3' rattle snake just on the side of the trail. They're out!

Another reason I like high elevation hikes. No snakes.

Thunder

Saw a big one in the parking lot here at work a few weeks ago.
Keeping a closer eye on the bushes along the sidewalk, aisles in the warehouse, and under the Jeep. :icon_crazy:

IMG_1888.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom