Smoking Meat -- Tips, Opinions, Recipes

sm31

May have to give that a go. Unfortunately I'm running out of time here. It's going to be in the 90's in the next couple weeks. I think thays too much heat for cheese...haha

I was impressed with how much smoke the smoke tube produced with virtually no heat added. The thing is kind of small anyway but I'd say it will make a difference of 5 degrees or less, depending on the size of your smoker.

I bought some cherry pellets. I don’t have a pellet smoker so it may take me 10 years to go through a 20 pound bag lol

Toss a handful in the egg whenever you light it up. You’ll go through that 20 pounds no problem. Wait never mind, I forgot you gave the egg the cold shoulder.

sm31

Tried this last night. Mozzarella was good, could go another hour, cheddar was okay needs probably two more hours and lower temps, pepper Jack was good as is could take another hour and still be fine. Gouda tasted like banana chips. 🤔

View attachment 373621

How long did you smoke them for? I did my first batch (hickory) for nearly 5 hours but it was just above freezing outside so I thought that might be a factor. I tried half hickory & half mesquite for my latest batch. Since mesquite is so strong I went to about 2.5 hours but temps were still in the mid 30's.

I'm still aging that batch to decide whether it turned out as well. Seems like aging is everything... the longer the better! Been about a month with that first batch and it is just divine. Grate a surprisingly small amount on top of soup or whatever, and the smoke flavor is amazing.

Even though gouda seems to be the popular smoked cheese, we found that we actually like the sharp cheddar best, at least with hickory (and maybe mesquite). Seems like the gouda may need a more mild and shorter smoke? But damn... that sharp cheddar is incredible.

Brute

Hooked
Tried this last night. Mozzarella was good, could go another hour, cheddar was okay needs probably two more hours and lower temps, pepper Jack was good as is could take another hour and still be fine. Gouda tasted like banana chips. 🤔

View attachment 373621
I need to try Mozzarella and Pepper Jack. I smoked Manchego Cheese last weekend and it turned out nicely.
How long did you smoke them for? I did my first batch (hickory) for nearly 5 hours but it was just above freezing outside so I thought that might be a factor. I tried half hickory & half mesquite for my latest batch. Since mesquite is so strong I went to about 2.5 hours but temps were still in the mid 30's.

I'm still aging that batch to decide whether it turned out as well. Seems like aging is everything... the longer the better! Been about a month with that first batch and it is just divine. Grate a surprisingly small amount on top of soup or whatever, and the smoke flavor is amazing.

Even though gouda seems to be the popular smoked cheese, we found that we actually like the sharp cheddar best, at least with hickory (and maybe mesquite). Seems like the gouda may need a more mild and shorter smoke? But damn... that sharp cheddar is incredible.
Has anyone tried to smoke blue cheese…I’ve had several from Oregon that were superb…

and had no idea that they need to be aged prior to eating. I’m going to have to give this a try…

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Just did two hours with apple pellets.

Top Bottom