Smokers, grills, and the B-B-Qs

Brute

Hooked
Holy smokes that looks awesome. You could probably use a piece of plate steel over the stack to control temp & airflow temporarily...

I bet it weighs a few pounds...

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Holy smokes that looks awesome. You could probably use a piece of plate steel over the stack to control temp & airflow temporarily...

I bet it weighs a few pounds...
Yup that’s on the list of things to add. I just wanted to get it outside and didn’t have any small round stock to make it.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Looks good... Gonna need more wood

ETA: Did you use fire brick in the box?
Yeah I just grabbed a bag from ace this morning. I’ll buy in bulk but that’s all I could get today. Started the fire at 830 this morning and between the firebox and the cc I added three logs and a bag of charcoal. Got up to 550 at one point and at 130 it was at 175 at the center of the grate and 275 at the firebox. It holds heat well so far.

I did not use firebricks. The 1/4” steel works well. It was hot but I could still touch it on the outside and not char my hand. I think my next one I’ll use thinner metal and insulate it. The 1/4” was a pain to work with.

CalSgt

Hooked
Yeah I just grabbed a bag from ace this morning. I’ll buy in bulk but that’s all I could get today. Started the fire at 830 this morning and between the firebox and the cc I added three logs and a bag of charcoal. Got up to 550 at one point and at 130 it was at 175 at the center of the grate and 275 at the firebox. It holds heat well so far.

I did not use firebricks. The 1/4” steel works well. It was hot but I could still touch it on the outside and not char my hand. I think my next one I’ll use thinner metal and insulate it. The 1/4” was a pain to work with.
I'd just worry about warpage where the coals sit in the firebox, heat does strange shit even to thick metal. But if it works it works, I'm excited for you to get your first cook in it.

It's illegal in my area (national forrest areas) to cut or collect the hardwoods even if they are already down, so the only way to get oak is when someone cuts one down on private property. We end up bringing a pile home from Chico or Sac areas every so often, and I keep an eye out for dying fruit trees on peoples property.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'd just worry about warpage where the coals sit in the firebox, heat does strange shit even to thick metal. But if it works it works, I'm excited for you to get your first cook in it.

It's illegal in my area (national forrest areas) to cut or collect the hardwoods even if they are already down, so the only way to get oak is when someone cuts one down on private property. We end up bringing a pile home from Chico or Sac areas every so often, and I keep an eye out for dying fruit trees on peoples property.
Yeah for sure warplane could be an issue. If it is it would be on the bottom and I could probably add bracing. I may do that. We’ll see what happens next weekend when I cook in it.

I love in orchard country and literally the people around the corner just cut down 13 acres of trees. But I will probably end up buying from a place nearby.

Yeah for sure warplane could be an issue. If it is it would be on the bottom and I could probably add bracing. I may do that. We’ll see what happens next weekend when I cook in it.
Could always build yourself a nice fire basket for it, slap some legs on to keep it up off the bottom, improve airflow as well.

1628477488599.png

Top Bottom