Single action tire carrier maintenance

kferrarini

So i have a dv8 RS2 bumper/tire carrier. It is single action. And the carrier opens with the tailgate using swiveling links. All in all I am very happy with it. Looks great, works great...for about six months.

It seems the links dry out and and start to bind, making the gate hard to open. For two years I have been disassembling and regreasing the links, as necessary.

Is this just a routine bit of maintenance? Or is there a more permanent way to keep this lubed up? Pics attached. 20180512_153657.jpg 20180512_153648.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using WAYALIFE mobile app

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
What if you just squirt some WD40 on it instead of taking it apart.
I had that happen once, when I ran AEV carrier, the link got a little rusty and was binding/squeaking. It was under a year old and they replaced it for free. I started periodically squirting some WD40 on the new one, winter really takes a tool on all the shiny parts.

kferrarini

I did that for a while. Always have wd40, or CLP in the jeep's saddle bags. Works in the moment, but i found the liquid lubes only serve to wash out the remaining grease, then evaporate, making it worse faster.

kferrarini

Thanks for the replies! Once the packd-in grease runs dry, spray on lithium grease it is! As i alluded to above, the liquid solvents like wd40 were/are not the solution.

Top Bottom