Scrambler's Build

Scrambler

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440075299.191317.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440075330.562719.jpg
Last weekend thardy and I put a band aid on this (gasket maker in the hole), but with an upcoming birthday, I have been given the green light from my wife to purchase some diff covers to avoid this in the future. I have a few questions and some criteria that must be met before I order and thought the community would like to chime in to steer me in the right direction.
#1. I want to order from a preferred vendor/brand, since they help support this forum that has allowed me to make some connections with some awesome folks.
#2 Should I order both diff covers even though only one is damaged? I'd hate to drop money in the D30 since the end game is to replace it with something in the future that is much more capable.
#3 The new diff cover must include new mounting hardware since one of the OEM bolts is about 1/4 sheered off ( hopefully this won't cause me issues when I try to remove it).
#4 What brands do you prefer and reasons why? (Must meet the criteria from point #1)

I've scoured the forum and I've seen many different products that have been used. I noticed in the project JK write up that Eddie used Solid. I appreciate your help and apologize for the long winded post.

JakeJK

View attachment 160852 View attachment 160853
Last weekend thardy and I put a band aid on this (gasket maker in the hole), but with an upcoming birthday, I have been given the green light from my wife to purchase some diff covers to avoid this in the future. I have a few questions and some criteria that must be met before I order and thought the community would like to chime in to steer me in the right direction.
#1. I want to order from a preferred vendor/brand, since they help support this forum that has allowed me to make some connections with some awesome folks.
#2 Should I order both diff covers even though only one is damaged? I'd hate to drop money in the D30 since the end game is to replace it with something in the future that is much more capable.
#3 The new diff cover must include new mounting hardware since one of the OEM bolts is about 1/4 sheered off ( hopefully this won't cause me issues when I try to remove it).
#4 What brands do you prefer and reasons why? (Must meet the criteria from point #1)

I've scoured the forum and I've seen many different products that have been used. I noticed in the project JK write up that Eddie used Solid. I appreciate your help and apologize for the long winded post.

I just looked at every preferred vendor and none of them directly make a diff cover, but northridge is a preferred vendor and they sell the PSC one and ive heard a few people who run that one like it.

Grubbicon

If it were me there are 3 different covers out there that I would get. I am running ARB covers on my JK right now and I have to say they are doing there job great. Second I would get the Poison Spyder Bomb Shells. My brother has them on his JK and I was going to put them on mine but they were back ordered when I was in the market. They as well are really thick and will take a big hit. Lastly I would look at Rough Stuff. I am about to put a set of Rough Stuffs on a set of one tons im building for my JK (havent let that one out the bag yet lol). They are 3/8 steel all the way through and they have a drain plug on the cover. Those are my 3 pictures. If you want more info on any of them just let me know 👍.

Rccrwlr

View attachment 160852 View attachment 160853

I thought Dynatrac made covers. Other option is just to trim yours. That's what I did. Will keep you going until you decide

Scrambler

I thought Dynatrac made covers. Other option is just to trim yours. That's what I did. Will keep you going until you decide

Trimming would be an option if it hadn't bent and sheered that one bolt head partially off. It's still in service. I pulled the fill plug and fluid came out of it, which makes me think the factory possibly overfilled it. So no leaking at this point, but I want some piece of mind that it never will and also take some preventative measures to ensure this is less likely to happen in the future.

Rccrwlr

Trimming would be an option if it hadn't bent and sheered that one bolt head partially off. It's still in service. I pulled the fill plug and fluid came out of it, which makes me think the factory possibly overfilled it. So no leaking at this point, but I want some piece of mind that it never will and also take some preventative measures to ensure this is less likely to happen in the future.

Forum Vendor supporters
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440079345.438958.jpg .
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440079355.587450.jpg .

Scrambler

Interested to hear the story on how that happened.
And as mentioned above, Dynatrac is the perfect choice and meets your criteria.

I believe it happened at Uwharrie. I let my wife drive most of the day and Thardy talked her into going off a small ledge. It slammed pretty hard and I chalked it up to the hitch(that I forgot pull out) hitting the ledge as we came down. Something tells me it wasn't the hitch. 😂

thardy

Banned
I believe it happened at Uwharrie. I let my wife drive most of the day and Thardy talked her into going off a small ledge. It slammed pretty hard and I chalked it up to the hitch(that I forgot pull out) hitting the ledge as we came down. Something tells me it wasn't the hitch. 😂

The weird part about it is I took you guys on the same line a stock Rubi took and they didn't have an issue. This one has me puzzled.

Scrambler

The weird part about it is I took you guys on the same line a stock Rubi took and they didn't have an issue. This one has me puzzled.

I think Graham got pissed about us giving him hell on all the love he was giving to his skid plates and threw a rock under there as we came down. That's all I can come up with.

Grubbicon

I think Graham got pissed about us giving him hell on all the love he was giving to his skid plates and threw a rock under there as we came down. That's all I can come up with.

Thats a possibility. I got a stock dana44 cover if you want it.

Top Bottom