Scott's build of a 1981 CJ8 Scrambler

It starts! First time, nothing at all. I then started the tuning process. Bottom out the mixture screws then back off 2 full turns. Started right up, but ran really slow. That's to be expected. Before I tune it further though, I sprang a gas leak where the tube goes on the carburetor:

IMG_20170902_095207.jpg

Probably just get a new hose and worm clamp. Old one may just be too stiff to form a good seal.

Last edited:
After installing the air pump, what else do you need for emissions inspection?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
To install the air pump, I still need the pulley, belt and whatever I need to actually pump the air into the exhaust.

After that's done I still need to install a catalytic converter. Sourcing one with a 2-inch pipe has turned out to be a bit of a challenge. They show up online but either unavailable or just hard to get ahold of.

Those are the last two things: Air pump and catalytic converter. Then we'll go in and try again and hope the numbers come down.

To install the air pump, I still need the pulley, belt and whatever I need to actually pump the air into the exhaust.

After that's done I still need to install a catalytic converter. Sourcing one with a 2-inch pipe has turned out to be a bit of a challenge. They show up online but either unavailable or just hard to get ahold of.

Those are the last two things: Air pump and catalytic converter. Then we'll go in and try again and hope the numbers come down.

Wishing you the best of luck...

Glad you got it running. If the clamp cut into the hose causing the leak, you can just cut about a half inch off the hose and reinstall the clamp on the fresh hose surface.

Very well done... Not sure if it should be that far off or not but maybe it'll stretch a little? Try putting it on out in the Heat or sun I guess. Maybe it'll let the material loosen up a little?

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Very well done... Not sure if it should be that far off or not but maybe it'll stretch a little? Try putting it on out in the Heat or sun I guess. Maybe it'll let the material loosen up a little?

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Try putting it out in the sun. I remember doing that with my dads old cj. It helps alot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yep. ^ Agreed. Also, not sure exactly how that top works, but if you can fold the front half back, then attach the rear portion. Then fold the front half back down again.

Last edited:
Yeah, plan is to pull the Scrambler into the sun tomorrow and let it sit for an hour or so, then try again. Seems like a big difference to make up but we'll see.

I ran into the same thing on my scrambler short top. The sun will help, but I ended up putting a couple of ratchet straps on the back bow and gently pulling it down until I was able to get it secured. Then let it sit and stretch in the sun. Hope this helps.

I ran into the same thing on my scrambler short top. The sun will help, but I ended up putting a couple of ratchet straps on the back bow and gently pulling it down until I was able to get it secured. Then let it sit and stretch in the sun. Hope this helps.

Start from the back and see how it goes

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
Ok, cool. Sun, ratchet straps, start from the back.

This thing is so old, I'm a little wary of pulling too hard on it and cracking the windshield frame or something.

Top Bottom