Rubicon Winter Rescue

I saw this earlier today about a group that wheeled in yesterday/last night and got stuck in the trail. Two different rigs, in the same group. My first thought was stupid is as stupid does. The first rig is on 35's and is stuck. The water has now frozen and they couldn't get it out. The second rig is on 40's and one of the tires has come off the rim. No spare. Now a group is going to go in on Thursday and try to get the rigs out so they don't have to be there all winter. I'm part of a group here in Utah that helps out when ever we can with guys that get stuck/stranded but I wouldn't go in for these two. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For the love of god, there is a massive winter storm going on this week up in the Sierra's. Warnings have been posted up and talked about on all the news channels and on NOAA since last week. Clearly, these guys are prime candidates for the Darwin award. :naw:

TRLJNKY

Holy crap! Eddie was not kidding about the weather! Hopefully these people get put unscathed. The equipment doesnt have a pulse and will survive the elements. I dont understand why someone would attempt the Rubicon this time of year

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

benatc1

Hooked
the penance should be leaving their rigs till it thaws. now your risking more people and rigs to go up there. granted I wouldn't want them blocking the trail for months but if it's a wet winter probably shouldn't be up there anyway

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I don't know how it works there, but here, most 4x4 roads are gated in the winter for this exact reason. I'm not one for government intrusion, but I've seen a lot of stupid people try to accomplish things beyond their capabilities and it puts them in danger as well as the people who end up having to rescue them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
the penance should be leaving their rigs till it thaws. now your risking more people and rigs to go up there. granted I wouldn't want them blocking the trail for months but if it's a wet winter probably shouldn't be up there anyway

Couldn't agree more.

I don't know how it works there, but here, most 4x4 roads are gated in the winter for this exact reason. I'm not one for government intrusion, but I've seen a lot of stupid people try to accomplish things beyond their capabilities and it puts them in danger as well as the people who end up having to rescue them.

Everything up in Tahoe Basin National Forest is closed and gated. MOST of the surrounding trails in Eldorado National Forest, Tahoe National Forest and Stanislaus National Forest are all closed as well. The Rubicon is technically a "county route" and so for better or for worse, it's not something that is gated.

ChiliDawg

From what I read elsewhere, nobody is currently in danger as the drivers hitched out with others. But since that's the case - I wouldn't rush out to save their rigs in this storm. They'll keep. They're on ice. [emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Well that was a fucking stupid thing to do. Hopefully they learned their lesson and won't fuck it up for everyone else. :grayno:

Top Bottom