RS9000xl vs Evo Spec King 2.0 vs Evo Spec 2.5

JK_BUB

I have had the Rancho 9000s and now have the adjustable King 2.5s. In my opinion they were well worth the money. My family even noticed a huge difference.

TrailHunter

Hooked
What kills me is the price difference between the enforcer with king 2.5’s vs the bolt on coilovers is only $1400.... Not pocket change... but still, kinda close.

The first year I had my Jeep i had the evo leveling kit. I would follow my friend who had the king 2.5 out in the sandy washes of north Salton Sea doing 40 plus mile hour. My stock shocks would fade big time and I would get Squirrley. My shocks would be so hot I could not touch them with my hands. I would touch my friends Kings and I can rest my hand on them no problem. That weekend I destroyed my fairly new shocks. I then bought fox 2.0 performance series none reservoir which made a huge difference and I was very happy with them. They paired well With the evo plush front springs and the ride was great on road. One of the main reason I liked the stiffer shock was it did not rock side to side that much when the sway bar was disconnected. About a month ago I put on the evo 4” enforcer lift with king 2.5 adjustable and man I am really, really impressed with them. They eat up everything. On road I set them at 3 and I think the ride is amazing to me. This past New Year I went back to Salton Sea and did the same trails and I can tell you the King 2.5 are well worth it. Hands down no comparison to what I had before. They are pricy and it took me a long time decide on them but I love them and would do it again. If you could afford it I would get the Kings 2.5 without question.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Deacon

I had Rancho 9000's on my 15 JKUS paired with Rock Krawler coils - great ride and I had no complaints. Traded in the 15 for a 16JKUR and put in a 3.5 MC lift paired it with the Rancho 9000's and could never get the same ride as I had with my 15, was really disappointing even with all the adjustments, I dont know why, different jeep maybe.. so I switched to the MC Rocksport shocks - actually helped out the ride and I was happy - felt like it stiffened up the jeep a little which is what I wanted. So , it being a jeep I got that itch again to switch something up - wanted coilovers but my jeep buddies and those in my jeep club just talked them down So...... I bought the KING 2.5 reservoir with adjusters ( not cheap) and thats what Im currently running - They ride super nice and was an improvement over the Rocksports , I do change up my settings depending on how my jeep is set up. I like a stiffer front end( #12 setting) since Im running a front winch/ bumper (155#) and right now no spare (waiting on an LOD rear bracket for my 8x6.5) so setting at #6.. when I mount the rear tire , I'll increase my setting back to #10.

The Kings are nice BUT..... I think eventually I may go the EVO coilover route... ran into a guy the other day that really gave them high praise.... so if you have the coin I would get the Kings, will add though I would not purchase off the shelf Kings - make sure you order with your own Jeep specs ( ie how your jeep is set up front and rear weights), doing this way it was a 2 month wait but was the same price.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I had Rancho 9000's on my 15 JKUS paired with Rock Krawler coils - great ride and I had no complaints. Traded in the 15 for a 16JKUR and put in a 3.5 MC lift paired it with the Rancho 9000's and could never get the same ride as I had with my 15, was really disappointing even with all the adjustments, I dont know why, different jeep maybe.. so I switched to the MC Rocksport shocks - actually helped out the ride and I was happy - felt like it stiffened up the jeep a little which is what I wanted. So , it being a jeep I got that itch again to switch something up - wanted coilovers but my jeep buddies and those in my jeep club just talked them down So...... I bought the KING 2.5 reservoir with adjusters ( not cheap) and thats what Im currently running - They ride super nice and was an improvement over the Rocksports , I do change up my settings depending on how my jeep is set up. I like a stiffer front end( #12 setting) since Im running a front winch/ bumper (155#) and right now no spare (waiting on an LOD rear bracket for my 8x6.5) so setting at #6.. when I mount the rear tire , I'll increase my setting back to #10.

The Kings are nice BUT..... I think eventually I may go the EVO coilover route... ran into a guy the other day that really gave them high praise.... so if you have the coin I would get the Kings, will add though I would not purchase off the shelf Kings - make sure you order with your own Jeep specs ( ie how your jeep is set up front and rear weights), doing this way it was a 2 month wait but was the same price.

Seems like you have spent some Coin trying to find a setup you like..... and you still may go to EVO coilovers.... I'm wondering if you had the EVO springs, that you may be more content with the 2.5's or even the Ranchos. Thanks for the info.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

The reason your two Jeeps didn’t ride the same is because you had different coils.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
Haha!
I have the King’s and have never adjusted them either.

I can’t give a proper review because it’s all I know besides stock. I haven’t felt or compared all the options personally. I will say though I am happy with them but I am not looking forward to having them rebuilt when the time comes.
($$)

What are we talkin here for rebuild cost? and how often do they need to be rebuilt? Every 25, 50k miles... or just if they start to have issues which would relate to driving style? The kits look to be about only $25 each.... DIY may be a possibility?

JAGS

Hooked
What are we talkin here for rebuild cost? and how often do they need to be rebuilt? Every 25, 50k miles... or just if they start to have issues which would relate to driving style? The kits look to be about only $25 each.... DIY may be a possibility?

You'd then also need the equipment to rebuild/repressurize. Eddie posted this up in DTD thread.

Plan for about $100-$200 per shock to have it done for you. The higher side being if you need to replace the shafts. Ask me how I know.

I would not wait 50k. I waited 47k and that was way too long at the time. Maybe 25k.

TrailHunter

Hooked
You'd then also need the equipment to rebuild/repressurize. Eddie posted this up in DTD thread.

Plan for about $100-$200 per shock to have it done for you. The higher side being if you need to replace the shafts. Ask me how I know.

I would not wait 50k. I waited 47k and that was way too long at the time. Maybe 25k.

Dam.. Just out of curiosity... same goes for the bolt in Coilovers?

Clutch

Caught the Bug

They’d need to be significantly better than Rancho, considering you can buy brand new ranchos for a hundo a piece. But we have no desert around here.

JAGS

Hooked
Dam.. Just out of curiosity... same goes for the bolt in Coilovers?

I would say so. But of course, people run their shocks without rebuilding them all the time. This is if you want your shocks at peak performance. I don't honestly wheel that often, but when I do I like to have confidence in my equipment.

They’d need to be significantly better than Rancho, considering you can buy brand new ranchos for a hundo a piece. But we have no desert around here.

Ranchos own response in this thread is telling. And as I said in one of my earlier posts, budget is a huge factor. If you wheel your Jeep and rack up the miles as a daily, you'll be replacing those ranchos more often as well. The expense goes to the performance.

One thing you can be certain of. This is not a cheap hobby!

TrailHunter

Hooked

^^^This. I could by 4 sets of Ranchos and still be ahead.

I’ve made my decision and I’m giving my money to Rancho. If I start blowing out shocks, (which I probably won’t, then I’ll re-evaluate) I have no doubt Kings are bad ass, but I just don’t see the benefit right now... And there is no way my axles can handle driving through the whoops at 75mph so it’s just overkill at this point. I also really like the adjustability Rancho offers at such a great price... And I can already tell their customer service is top notch... (plus they are “right down the street” from me)

Again, Really appreciate all the comments and advice!! I owe ya all a beer! [emoji481]

JAGS

Hooked
^^^This. I could by 4 sets of Ranchos and still be ahead.

I’ve made my decision and I’m giving my money to Rancho. If I start blowing out shocks, (which I probably won’t, then I’ll re-evaluate) I have no doubt Kings are bad ass, but I just don’t see the benefit right now... And there is no way my axles can handle driving through the whoops at 75mph so it’s just overkill at this point. I also really like the adjustability Rancho offers at such a great price... And I can already tell their customer service is top notch... (plus they are “right down the street” from me)

Again, Really appreciate all the comments and advice!! I owe ya all a beer! [emoji481]

Nothing wrong with that. [emoji41] When I first started my build I actually had a set of ranchos in the garage to put on. And have friends that have/do run ranchos. The difference came to me when I went to KOH and ran around for a week in a few rigs running kings. I sold my ranchos new in the box.

Run the ranchos and enjoy them. [emoji106] Then you'll have firsthand experience to compare. If you do change your mind later, you're still not in it that much and can keep the ranchos as spares.

Top Bottom