Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

JKBANDIT55

Ill leave it at this. and thats all Im going to say.
What is Overlanding?

History, wildlife, culture, scenery, self-sufficiency - these are the rewards of overlanding.

Overlanding describes self-reliant adventure travel to remote destinations where the journey is the primary goal. Typically, but not exclusively, accommodated by mechanized off-highway capable transport (from bicycles to trucks) where the principal form of lodging is camping; often lasting for extended lengths of time (months to years) and often spanning international boundaries. While expedition is defined as a journey with a purpose, overlanding sees the journey as the purpose.

So weather you have a rig with 40" tires or not, call yourself a 4wheeler, rock crawler, overlander or whatever you want is all good with me:thumb:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So this is the best overlander?

main.php

I don't think so because I got hung up on a 2 foot high rock. But I did get 20 MPG that day so I guess it is an overlander. Guess I'll sell the lift and tires now. Anyone want some 35's?:cheesy:

bl17z90

The funniest part of this whole thing is most these posts are said tongue and cheek. Nobody is bashing anybody. Don't get all hurt and bent out shape.

You want a snorkel, go right ahead. Hell, you want to add fins and a propeller, you can do that too. Are there some rigs and some situations that would benefit from fins and prop, absolutely! :crazyeyes: But it doesn't mean they are the most practical of mods and would be used as much as others.

Personally, this is the best overlander mod in my book.;)

View attachment 12419

That guy keeps his top off year round :clap2:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
So this is the best overlander?

main.php

I don't think so because I got hung up on a 2 foot high rock. But I did get 20 MPG that day so I guess it is an overlander. Guess I'll sell the lift and tires now. Anyone want some 35's?:cheesy:

Just because MTG calls you Snorkels doesn't mean your an Overlander. :bleh:

Honestly I think we are beating a dead horse at this point. :gaah:

Last edited:

JKBANDIT55

Bandit I agree with you. I would be up to some day doing what you say.

Thanks. I mean, I guess we all fit in the category as overlanders, it's just a term we simply don't use. Instead we say wheeling or whatever. It doesn't matter when you think about it, because at the end of the day weather it's a 1 day or 1 year trip we are doing it for the same reason. Which is adventure travel. Weather it's climbing boulders or just a simple unpaved road. We get just as excited making our way into remote places that not many vehicles can get to, while at the same time having fun climbing the obstacles it takes to get there. So at the end of the day, we are all Doing the same thing. We build our rigs how we want and call them whatever we want simply because we can! I wasn't trying to stir up a mess on this thread, just wanted to explain what overlanding is to me and thousands of others. And what I realized is, we are all overlanding, look it up in wiki. Traveling to remote areas while being totally self sufficient over a 1 day to many years! That's the definition of what we all do here!!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What is overlanding? It's a label plain and simple and one created by people who feel a need to define or explain themselves. For me, I perfer to just live the life and let others see it for what it is.

Prime8

Thanks. I mean, I guess we all fit in the category as overlanders, it's just a term we simply don't use. Instead we say wheeling or whatever. It doesn't matter when you think about it, because at the end of the day weather it's a 1 day or 1 year trip we are doing it for the same reason. Which is adventure travel. Weather it's climbing boulders or just a simple unpaved road. We get just as excited making our way into remote places that not many vehicles can get to, while at the same time having fun climbing the obstacles it takes to get there. So at the end of the day, we are all Doing the same thing. We build our rigs how we want and call them whatever we want simply because we can! I wasn't trying to stir up a mess on this thread, just wanted to explain what overlanding is to me and thousands of others. And what I realized is, we are all overlanding, look it up in wiki. Traveling to remote areas while being totally self sufficient over a 1 day to many years! That's the definition of what we all do here!!!

I have to say something since you've now said it a plethora of times... "Weather" pertains to precipitation and other outdoor conditions. "Whether" is the word you have been trying to use. Driving me nuts...

Sent from my ADR6350 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It can't be SIMPLE! I mean we have 55 pages of 'debate'!!! :cheesy::cheesy:

:cheesy: More like 10 pages of debate and 45 pages of sillyness :crazyeyes: :D

To quote Confucius, “Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” The Jeep wayalife is just as simple, self-proclaimed overlanders just insist on making it complicated.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug

That is the great thing about this WAYALIFE, we are all here with many different builds that suite our individual financial and wheeling needs, and we are non discriminatory about how people build their rigs. I really trust Eddie, GCM2, and all the other very knowledgeable people here that donate their time and give free advice. I have seen the pictures, and read their tales of their real world experience and all the crap they have broken on their quest to build a good solid rig. They are only here to help those of us that do not have their wealth of knowledge, at no cost to us. We recognize that there are different opinions and like GCM2 stated we all try to build solid vehicles with the best parts so breakdowns are as infrequent as possible. We may all have different skill levels and opinions but we all have the same WAYALIFE! :thumb:

Edit: We try not to label each other in here and that was pretty much the whole point of this thread.
:beer::beer:

Last edited:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
That is the great thing about this WAYALIFE, we are all here with many different builds that suite our individual financial and wheeling needs, and we are non discriminatory about how people build their rigs. I really trust Eddie, GCM2, and all the other very knowledgeable people here that donate their time and give free advice. I have seen the pictures, and read their tales of their real world experience and all the crap they have broken on their quest to build a good solid rig. They are only here to help those of us that do not have their wealth of knowledge, at no cost to us. We recognize that there are different opinions and like GCM2 stated we all try to build solid vehicles with the best parts so breakdowns are as infrequent as possible. We may all have different skill levels and opinions but we all have the same WAYALIFE! :thumb:

Edit: We try not to label each other in here and that was pretty much the whole point of this thread.
:beer::beer:

I WILL DRINK TO THAT!!! :beer::beer::drinks: OK, NOW :grouphug:

bl17z90

To quote Confucius, “Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” The Jeep wayalife is just as simple, self-proclaimed overlanders just insist on making it complicated.

:werdsign:

gtony12

Caught the Bug

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::crazyeyes:

Miramontes

I would... Sorry my tires are too big, don't have a roof rack, snorkel, fridge, enough gas cans or water storage... But if you want to go wheeling. YES. dde01

Well if you like we can meet at Summit, get on the 15 over land of course. Take it to the 39, find some trail in Big Bear. Still on land. Cross a stream here and there. Technically still traveling on land. Jump on some rock, race around on some fire roads. And can you believe it. I think it will all be over land. Lol

Miramontes

Ill leave it at this. and thats all Im going to say.
What is Overlanding?

History, wildlife, culture, scenery, self-sufficiency - these are the rewards of overlanding.

Overlanding describes self-reliant adventure travel to remote destinations where the journey is the primary goal. Typically, but not exclusively, accommodated by mechanized off-highway capable transport (from bicycles to trucks) where the principal form of lodging is camping; often lasting for extended lengths of time (months to years) and often spanning international boundaries. While expedition is defined as a journey with a purpose, overlanding sees the journey as the purpose.

So weather you have a rig with 40" tires or not, call yourself a 4wheeler, rock crawler, overlander or whatever you want is all good with me:thumb:

All this stuff would be awesome to do.

Miramontes

I believe you are one of the few that is really trying to make this a constructive conversation.

Top Bottom