Removing broken torx bit from Hinge Screw

GP NOIR

Hooked
Use a die grinder and a good carbide ball rotary file. Make a few light passes to turn that peak into a dimple. Once the broken bit is ground out, carefully drill the head off. Leave enough shank that once the hinge cover is off, the shank can be grabbed with a pair of Vise Grips.

You can try cutting a groove to remove the screw with a common screwdriver, but I suspect the screw will be locked in place until the head is drilled off.

duktrx

I tried smacking it with a hammer and pin, I've also tried multiple drill bits, etc (as you can see by the damage bolt head)... And I can't remove the hinge without removing the bolt, so not sure how that would work??

View attachment 390466
Yeah, that is not what I was picturing. Maybe take a can of compressed air, the type to blow off electronics, put the little straw in the nozzle, turn it upside down and put the straw right on the broken bit tip. Freeze it and then try and use a pick to pop it out.

JSFoster75

Yeah, that is not what I was picturing. Maybe take a can of compressed air, the type to blow off electronics, put the little straw in the nozzle, turn it upside down and put the straw right on the broken bit tip. Freeze it and then try and use a pick to pop it out.

Good idea, I'll give that a try. :)

Top Bottom