Removing broken torx bit from Hinge Screw

JSFoster75

I was installing a replacement hinge and the torx bolt broke off flush with the head of the bolt... Any ides on how to get it out? The bit was hardened, so trying to drill a small hole in it hasn't worked... Fortunately it happened after the hinge was completely installed, so it's nothing urgent, but would be nice to be able to remove it...

WJCO

Meme King
I was installing a replacement hinge and the torx bolt broke off flush with the head of the bolt... Any ides on how to get it out? The bit was hardened, so trying to drill a small hole in it hasn't worked... Fortunately it happened after the hinge was completely installed, so it's nothing urgent, but would be nice to be able to remove it...
Post pics.

jeeeep

Hooked
a torx bolt tip stick in the head of the bolt? use duct tape to stick to the torx tip and pull it out or flip the Jeep upside down and shake it out.

(I've rewritten that multiple times and 15yo me can't get around all the possible humor )

Ddays

Hooked
If you remove the hinge will there be enough of the bolt left sticking out to allow a set of vise-grips to grab ahold of it?

duktrx

Center Punch and a hammer; I used that trick on broken bits before. Another trick is to take a hot glue stick; the yellow ones are stronger; heat one end with a lighter and press it onto the broken bit tip, then let it cool; give it a tug.

CalSgt

Hooked
a torx bolt tip stick in the head of the bolt? use duct tape to stick to the torx tip and pull it out or flip the Jeep upside down and shake it out.

(I've rewritten that multiple times and 15yo me can't get around all the possible humor )
A sharp pick may do it, try to wiggle it in the opposite direction you were turning the bolt when it snapped.

the tape trick above or maybe a powerful magnet could pull it out.

also a blast of high pressure air from a blow nozzle could force it free

JSFoster75

I tried smacking it with a hammer and pin, I've also tried multiple drill bits, etc (as you can see by the damage bolt head)... And I can't remove the hinge without removing the bolt, so not sure how that would work??

IMG_2483 (1).JPG

Spazbyt

Hooked
I tried smacking it with a hammer and pin, I've also tried multiple drill bits, etc (as you can see by the damage bolt head)... And I can't remove the hinge without removing the bolt, so not sure how that would work??

View attachment 390466
That doesn't look good. I would just drill the entire thing out with a good sharp bit then use an easy out.

WJCO

Meme King

View attachment 390466
Is the broken part a bolt or a tool bit? What about using a Dremel with a hardened bit to drill/cut it? Cut a slot in the middle then use a flat head screwdriver to remove it.

JSFoster75

Is the broken part a bolt or a tool bit? What about using a Dremel with a hardened bit to drill/cut it? Cut a slot in the middle then use a flat head screwdriver to remove it.

The Torx bit broke off in the head of the bolt.

WJCO

Meme King
The Torx bit broke off in the head of the bolt.
Have you tried tapping the side of it to go clockwise and then counter clockwise? I know that may seem counter productive but I'm wondering if you can at least get it loose and then pry it out or use a magnet.

JSFoster75

Have you tried tapping the side of it to go clockwise and then counter clockwise? I know that may seem counter productive but I'm wondering if you can at least get it loose and then pry it out or use a magnet.

I have, it's wedged in there really good... The weird part is, it didn't break when I was tightening the bolt, it broke when I was trying to loosen the bolt to adjust the hinge...

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This was my thought. But if the tool snapped off either that is the cheapest Walmart hex bit or that bolt is so rusted in there it isn’t coming out anyway.

JSFoster75

This was my thought. But if the tool snapped off either that is the cheapest Walmart hex bit or that bolt is so rusted in there it isn’t coming out anyway.

Well, it was actually a Craftsman bit, and it's been around a while, first issue I've ever had with them though... The bolt itself is brand new...

jeeeep

Hooked
looks like you used a torx in an allen head bolt. Since the bolt is already ruined, I'd do what was suggested using a Dremel cutoff wheel to cut a groove then use a screw driver to tap the bolt out or buy a hardened bit to drill it out, all you need it enough bite to get it to rotate loose

1686061493269.png

Top Bottom