Recent Shooting and Discussion

Maybe I'm busy living in my own naive world, but I do not own a gun and do not feeling the need to carry one daily. For some they do. I'm asking what drives you to EDC? Maybe I need to read more George Orwell. I have no issues with guns and will probably own one one day. Occasional target shooting probably but I won't have an arsenal. They just have never interested me nor am I afraid of them.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Very valid point and I respect your neutrality on the issue. And if you don't feel comfortable carrying, you shouldn't IMO.my mom is a school teacher that is very pro gun yet does not feel comfortable carrying even with recent talk of teachers carrying. I think that is fair. As far as me and my family, I do carry and feel the responsibility is OK to do so. I'm not paranoid nor naive. The recent shooting in Walmart is a perfect example. If I had the opportunity to protect myself or any other person and I was equipped in the vicinity of a situation like that with an able weapon, I would do whatever necessary to protect myself and others.
IMO, from a more than practical application, let's talk the commonality of Jeeps. If you had the tool to help out another jeeper, would you? I literally have carried a trail welder for years and just for the first time offered it to another jeeper recently to use. I would do the same with a firearm. If someone were in legitimate need and I had the tool, I would use it to protect another human life. I hope that doesn't occur, but the tool is there. Once again, not paranoid but prepared.

Vast majority of the US population wants some form (some more drastic than others) of gun reform, gun laws or gun bans.

I don't know that I agree with this fully, but I do agree that a majority wants a gun VIOLENCE reform. How we get there is what we're currently discussing.

That goes far beyond this gun issue. It goes far beyond a Jeep forum. This is just about life. It’s about my kids. It’s about your brother or sister. It’s about Ed’s (brutes) niece. It’s about all of us.

100% agreed. This is the foundation. Although I'm likely on the more pro-gun side of the argument, I can guarantee I think about my kids the same as you when they're outside of my control in this crazy world.

I used to watch it. Too far right for me. Somewhere between far right and left, there has to be a balance. "A house divided against itself cannot stand." The Bible, Check It Out.

Haven’t found a middle ground yet. Fox is usually my go to as all others are way too left for my liking. I like OAN but it’s prob more conservative than fox. What am I checking out exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Very valid point and I respect your neutrality on the issue. And if you don't feel comfortable carrying, you shouldn't IMO.my mom is a school teacher that is very pro gun yet does not feel comfortable carrying even with recent talk of teachers carrying. I think that is fair. As far as me and my family, I do carry and feel the responsibility is OK to do so. I'm not paranoid nor naive. The recent shooting in Walmart is a perfect example. If I had the opportunity to protect myself or any other person and I was equipped in the vicinity of a situation like that with an able weapon, I would do whatever necessary to protect myself and others.
IMO, from a more than practical application, let's talk the commonality of Jeeps. If you had the tool to help out another jeeper, would you? I literally have carried a trail welder for years and just for the first time offered it to another jeeper recently to use. I would do the same with a firearm. If someone were in legitimate need and I had the tool, I would use it to protect another human life. I hope that doesn't occur, but the tool is there. Once again, not paranoid but prepared.
I agree with you 100% on protecting my family, myself, or others. Yes with regards to lending a hand I am the first to jump in. Just a few months ago the mail carrier (she was actually a woman but still can't say mailman anymore..haha) got get mail truck stuck in the sand. I walked over and asked I f I could help and used the jeep to pull her out. If I carried amd felt I could stop a threat to others I'd do the same. I'd like to think that even if I'm not carrying and my family is safe or not there I'd still try to stop them but saying and doing are two different things. This is all text so it's hard to hear voice inflection, but I had the feeling you felt something bad was going to happen so you needed to carry. Now that you've explained that I completely see why you do it.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
I think this is applicable to this 1000 post discussion. I can start a new thread if needed as well being that it didn't involve a 'shooting.'

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/garden...ounded-in-orange-county-california-wednesday/

I personally think this is a valid contribution.

Crazy people will do crazy shit, nothing is going to stop that.

The interesting thing here is he gained access to a gun from a security guard he killed and then discarded it.

I think there is some argument that can be made about the level of carnage for a stabbing spree versus shooting. This guy killed 4 people and injured 2 throughout a day (i think I read). An AR can kill 40 people in minutes... I think that's the disparity in scale between knife attacks versus shooting using high power magazine fed weapons.

** I do not believe in a ban. I think something needs to be done to reduce the potential for gun violence. I've made my recommendations previously in this thread. NFA Class III for any magazine fed semi auto firearms (or rifles at least) would be a good start. I'm guessing most of these psychos would not be willing to file the necessary paperwork...

I personally think this is a valid contribution.

Crazy people will do crazy shit, nothing is going to stop that.

The interesting thing here is he gained access to a gun from a security guard he killed and then discarded it.

I think there is some argument that can be made about the level of carnage for a stabbing spree versus shooting.

sad to day, but he probably enjoyed the "intimate" (for lack of better term) nature of stabbing over the disconnect of distance in a shooting.

I think this is applicable to this 1000 post discussion. I can start a new thread if needed as well being that it didn't involve a 'shooting.'

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/garden...ounded-in-orange-county-california-wednesday/

I’d say it’s relevant to the discussion here. It makes a case for both sides though. One side will say “see look crazy will find a way”. The other side will say “that would have been so much worse with a gun, California gun laws are working”.

Just curious. For those posting in agreement for “background checks” whatever that means cause everyone has their own version of it.

Have any of you tried purchasing a gun in California? It’s already a pain in the dick. Pass a firearms safety test, valid Real ID, complete a Dealer Record Of Sale, DOJ background check via DROS paperwork, perform a safe handling demonstration, must own a safe.

Oh yea and you can only purchase guns that are not classified as assault weapons per senate bill 23, only be able to purchase hand guns that are on the pre approved for sale in this state by DOJ list.

The scary AR-15 as everyone knows it is already illegal and has been for years to purchase in California. The media won’t say this though. The same “anyone can walk into a store and buy a weapon for war” line is getting played over and over. It’s simply not true.

Don’t forget all this has to happen with a ten but not more than 30 day wait.

Anyway. I’ve told myself to avoid this thread and here I go. FML

Just curious. For those posting in agreement for “background checks” whatever that means cause everyone has their own version of it.

Have any of you tried purchasing a gun in California? It’s already a pain in the dick. Pass a firearms safety test, valid Real ID, complete a Dealer Record Of Sale, DOJ background check via DROS paperwork, perform a safe handling demonstration, must own a safe.

Oh yea and you can only purchase guns that are not classified as assault weapons per senate bill 23, only be able to purchase hand guns that are on the pre approved for sale in this state by DOJ list.

The scary AR-15 as everyone knows it is already illegal and has been for years to purchase in California. The media won’t say this though. The same “anyone can walk into a store and buy a weapon for war” line is getting played over and over. It’s simply not true.

But all this makes California such a safe place......for the criminals.

Thank you for contributing. This is what I've been asking here for several days now and you've detailed it out even better. I've received no direct answer yet otherwise.

My OPINION is that is seems that those who own/buy guns are already aware what's involved with the current background checks whereas those that don't own/buy guns aren't aware of the current process that's already in place but somehow want to make it stricter. At least that's what I'm reading through most of this.

Thank you for contributing. This is what I've been asking here for several days now and you've detailed it out even better. I've received no direct answer yet otherwise.

My OPINION is that is seems that those who own/buy guns are already aware what's involved with the current background checks whereas those that don't own/buy guns aren't aware of the current process that's already in place but somehow want to make it stricter. At least that's what I'm reading through most of this.

You are exactly right!

Yep.

Top Bottom