Recent Federal portable fuel container regulations?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here, I use something like this.

(y)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know what you are worried about. I saw some pictures from the gas shortage a few weeks back. If people are filling bags in their trunk, LEO will probably leave you alone on this one. I would worry more about mud flaps.
LOL - that is the truth!! :ROFLMAO:

Brute

Hooked

(y)
I did exactly this for my three 4 gal Rotopax's...your welcome Jerry!...

CalSgt

Hooked
I have one of those new eco terrorism gas tanks for filling my mower. That spring loaded filler thing broke the first time I used it. It's a piece of shit. It's likely not even sealed now anyways. I'll probably buy another Rotopax tank to fill my mower.
"Fluid container" from Summit Racing works good for an at home gas can... Most of them are the old style dirtbike gas jugs with a spout, but there are several different types

CalSgt

Hooked
The portion of the 2020 rules that I am referring to are the requirements that require a spring loaded filler, a flame retarding screen and no vent orfice. As far as I know these things are missing on all Rotopax style gas cans. I will be externally transporting two 5 gallon Rotopax cans on my upcoming 15,000 mile overlanding trip. Neither have theses now Federally mandates items. I suppose that they are grandfathered in but ???

The flame retard screen in my new cans is a plastic funnel that's glued down inside the filler neck... It causes the gas to froth when filling at the pump then shuts the pump down or splashes on my shoes... fucking ridiculous

ETA: it also makes it impossible to get the gas can completely empty

jeeeep

Hooked
I have one of those new eco terrorism gas tanks for filling my mower. That spring loaded filler thing broke the first time I used it. It's a piece of shit. It's likely not even sealed now anyways. I'll probably buy another Rotopax tank to fill my mower.
the one I had also broke on 1st use and was spilling more fuel on the outside then in.
fucking can burped fuel all over my hands and shoes.
I ripped it apart and now it works to get the fuel where I intend it to go and I stay dry.
this "safety" change must have been a result of some really stupid people

Last edited:

CalSgt

Hooked

(y)
Just ordered these, thanks... Now if someone knows how to get the plastic flame retard screen out of the new gas cans that would be rad

Top Bottom