Rear Defrost Wire

jamesrw30

I noticed the other day that one of the wires for the rear defrost was loose. I assume this means it wouldn't work as the circuit is broken. I also assume this can't just be reaffixed with regular glue. Is there something specific for this? I've wondered if this is just a solder job but have absolutely no idea.

Attachments

• PXL_20230910_150536717.jpg
    PXL_20230910_150536717.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 27
Dang I’ve never seen that! I would assume you can just solder it back into place. Doesn’t look like it is damaged further than that to me.

WJCO

Meme King
I noticed the other day that one of the wires for the rear defrost was loose. I assume this means it wouldn't work as the circuit is broken. I also assume this can't just be reaffixed with regular glue. Is there something specific for this? I've wondered if this is just a solder job but have absolutely no idea.
All the box auto stores should have this or you can buy online. It's basically a metallic glue.

91L8HdD1DkL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
All the box auto stores should have this or you can buy online. It's basically a metallic glue.

View attachment 395652
This^^^ use it at work all the time. It works but it’s a pain sometimes to get the defroster adhered to the glass. Once it is it will stay for a bit. Just don’t open the rear for a good 24 hours once it’s attached as the wire will pull it off while it sets up

jamesrw30

Definitely no damage that I can tell. Just popped loose one day. I will definitely look into that glue. Winter will be here soon and I'm sure I'll need the defog at some point. Of course the back window is so small and with the wiper motor blocking a lot of it there's not a whole lot of point. Plus whoever had it before me had the windows tinted really dark so you can barely see out anyway 🤣

Definitely no damage that I can tell. Just popped loose one day. I will definitely look into that glue. Winter will be here soon and I'm sure I'll need the defog at some point. Of course the back window is so small and with the wiper motor blocking a lot of it there's not a whole lot of point. Plus whoever had it before me had the windows tinted really dark so you can barely see out anyway 🤣
The rear window is where the spare tire is supposed to go. If you can still see something, then your tires are too small!

If it is a JL still under warrenty they stealership will fix it. The first time they used glue, I drove down the road yanked it back off and went back to stealership, a week later. Second time they replace the whole rear window.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If it is a JL still under warrenty they stealership will fix it. The first time they used glue, I drove down the road yanked it back off and went back to stealership, a week later. Second time they replace the whole rear window.
How that work? Is it connected to the factory glass when you buy it? Or would they still have to solder it?

yes it is. they glue / solder it first time. it became detached, i had mine done. the next time i showed them it came of again they replaceed the entire rear window. I think it was because they couldn't get it too re-solder a third time. not sure.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
How that work? Is it connected to the factory glass when you buy it? Or would they still have to solder it?
Even if it’s under bumper to bumper warranty we still use the permatex stuff shown above. With how windshield hang it’s hard to soder and I have seen a few times where they shattered the glass.

J. Dub

You'll see more of this in the coming years as we get hotter and hotter summers unfortunately.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So I came across one of those “Amazon products you need for your Jeep” videos on YouTube and this product made me think of this thread. Looks like a nice product to protect your rear defrost tabs from you or other items in your trunk hitting and destroying the tabs

AZUTO Rear Defogger Cable Cover for Jeep Wrangler (JL) / Jeep Wrangler 4xe 2018-2024 Wrangler Interior Accessories https://a.co/d/el2ZP6a

IMG_3021.png

SilverBack

Man, that happened to mine. I tried everything and the permitex was the best ... lasted about 3 weeks. I even tried ( do not do this or you will release all the tension in your glass) to re solder it. After I exploded the rear glass I bought a new one for a couple hundred bucks and called it a day!

Top Bottom