Random (non-Jeep) Shit You’re Working On....

Brute

Hooked
Cutting board came out great...when I was much, much younger I used to refinish my shotgun stocks with linseed oil...does anyone still use this for refinishing wood?

FFPulley77

Hooked
Cutting board came out great...when I was much, much younger I used to refinish my shotgun stocks with linseed oil...does anyone still use this for refinishing wood?

We used linseed oil on our fire axes and pike poles that had wooden handles. That was part of first of the month duties. Never used it for furniture, though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Yes. But most linseed oil is processed not raw which makes it not food safe, bad for cutting board.

WJCO

Meme King
I used to refinish my shotgun stocks with linseed oil...does anyone still use this for refinishing wood?

I've used it on lots of things that I've built. It's nice because it still leaves a nice natural wood grain look without being glossy like poly.

I built this table 11 years ago and built the benches 6 years ago. Table had linseed applied 3 times over the years and benches only once when I first built them.

Small pic but that's all I have right now.

1.jpg

And this re-model. All of the wood (excluding the bark edging) was done in one coat of linseed oil. One coat was plenty of work.

2.jpg

If you don't want a super glossy coat, it's a great option.

CalSgt

Hooked
I've used it on lots of things that I've built. It's nice because it still leaves a nice natural wood grain look without being glossy like poly.

I built this table 11 years ago and built the benches 6 years ago. Table had linseed applied 3 times over the years and benches only once when I first built them.

View attachment 356653

And this re-model. All of the wood (excluding the bark edging) was done in one coat of linseed oil. One coat was plenty of work.

View attachment 356654

That's rad... I'm assuming the angled shelves are a shoe rack? Those are some heavy ass planks to make shelving out of, looks like a ton of work

WJCO

Meme King
That's rad... I'm assuming the angled shelves are a shoe rack? Those are some heavy ass planks to make shelving out of, looks like a ton of work

Thanks.

Yes, shoe rack. Built this right before I got married. My wife had 60ish pairs of shoes and I had 2. It worked well. I still have 2 pairs of shoes and she still has about 60, lol.

This was a ton of work but I was younger, had more money, room for wood tools, and no kids. Now I have 3 kids, no energy, no money, and no room for tools.

Elroy231

View attachment 356653

View attachment 356654

Nice work, that all looks really sharp!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

CalSgt

Hooked
Thanks.

Yes, shoe rack. Built this right before I got married. My wife had 60ish pairs of shoes and I had 2. It worked well. I still have 2 pairs of shoes and she still has about 60, lol.

This was a ton of work but I was younger, had more money, room for wood tools, and no kids. Now I have 3 kids, no energy, no money, and no room for tools.

LOL... I built the wife a shoe rack back in '07 when we moved into our new house, its 7 feet tall and 30" wide and there is still a giant pile of shoes on the floor (all hers). I found out that if I build her more closets she just fills them up with more shit, I think she has empty closet OCD...

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Amazing! Very good work!

Thanks!

Question for all you builders out there...

How the hell do you get consistent reveals on drawer faces? Closet is pretty much done and painted. But these drawers and faces are really getting to me. Thoughts?

IMG_1054.jpg

BaddestCross

Thanks!

Question for all you builders out there...

How the hell do you get consistent reveals on drawer faces? Closet is pretty much done and painted. But these drawers and faces are really getting to me. Thoughts?

View attachment 356664

You can use a jig like this one. They have them for handles, hinges, and other things as well.

Screenshot_20201214-192744_Chrome.jpeg

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-uni...FUIiYT-c5nI_OKO0k1mLR80hNRcLo9CRoCIaMQAvD_BwE

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
You can use a jig like this one. They have them for handles, hinges, and other things as well.

View attachment 356666

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-uni...FUIiYT-c5nI_OKO0k1mLR80hNRcLo9CRoCIaMQAvD_BwE

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Hmm... well I know the drawer slides are in there and evenly spaced... but getting the faces attached and evenly spaced is kicking my ass.

Edit: the bottom 3 drawer faces on both sides have 1/8” gap... but putting once I got to the top drawer, there ended up being an extra 1/8” gap... might need to rip new faces with an extra 1/16” on them or something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom