Random (non-Jeep) Shit You’re Working On....

Elroy231

Thanks! Onto the next party.

Finished paint. Moved some plumbing for the soak sink, new location to be determined later. Moved pex lines that were just nailed up to through joists, only thing that runs off pump is sprinklers/spigots the rest is city water. Also installed new frost-free spigots, and moved one that would be blocked by new bathroom to above the washer so can be accessed if the need ever arises. Started framing today, made a couple rookie mistakes, but it’s not structural obviously so made quick fixes.

View attachment 351079
View attachment 351080

View attachment 351081
View attachment 351082
View attachment 351083

Had to get on the roof after I chopped the old vent pipe out of my way (random silver pipe in front of wall in the corner) sealed the top up so it can’t rain into my wall- didn’t know it wasn’t sealed until I started this. Annnnd I forgot my damn Red Bull
View attachment 351084

View attachment 351085
View attachment 351086
View attachment 351087

Pewpew
View attachment 351088
View attachment 351089

Vanity, toilet, shower
View attachment 351090

Plumber coming to rough in and cut cement for drains this week roughly there.
View attachment 351091

Then I’ll finish the framing and start really building.
View attachment 351092

Yes I still have to box in the window I ran out of 2x4s.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
You sure are busy in that house. Some nice improvements tho. Alot of work.

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
Thanks! Onto the next party.

Finished paint. Moved some plumbing for the soak sink, new location to be determined later. Moved pex lines that were just nailed up to through joists, only thing that runs off pump is sprinklers/spigots the rest is city water. Also installed new frost-free spigots, and moved one that would be blocked by new bathroom to above the washer so can be accessed if the need ever arises. Started framing today, made a couple rookie mistakes, but it’s not structural obviously so made quick fixes.

View attachment 351079
View attachment 351080

View attachment 351081
View attachment 351082
View attachment 351083

Had to get on the roof after I chopped the old vent pipe out of my way (random silver pipe in front of wall in the corner) sealed the top up so it can’t rain into my wall- didn’t know it wasn’t sealed until I started this. Annnnd I forgot my damn Red Bull
View attachment 351084

View attachment 351085
View attachment 351086
View attachment 351087

Pewpew
View attachment 351088
View attachment 351089

Vanity, toilet, shower
View attachment 351090

Plumber coming to rough in and cut cement for drains this week roughly there.
View attachment 351091

Then I’ll finish the framing and start really building.
View attachment 351092

Yes I still have to box in the window I ran out of 2x4s.

Looking good! It’s always good to do home projects [emoji106]

Looking good! It’s always good to do home projects [emoji106]

Good to do or good to finish? Haha I’m excited to get the next step done here soon and then the rest can be done slowly at my own pace

You sure are busy in that house. Some nice improvements tho. Alot of work.

Yeah hopefully the big stuff will be done soon, Jeeps been sitting on back burner for too long and it’s slowly getting sketchy to drive it really needs the new steering gear installed.

Threw up another wall in front of the pump, I was going to put an access door in but realized it will be easily accessible from the other side of basement under stairs. That little area will get soundproofing to kill the excessive noise of the pump when watering grass and garden that are on timers and often far too early.
Does anyone know the correct way to frame under the stairs? Nothing structural just has to hold up some drywall was thinking ramset down the base 2x4 then nail in the top and take the vertical pieces where I want them and physically mark them where I need to cut and building it in place. Instead of trying to figure it out and measure angles flip it up and install like I did the other walls.

IMG_8108.jpg

Found out the window is super crooked not sure how I can mask that when I finish it.
IMG_8107.jpg

Then the fun started, I liked this part where you pay other people to do the hard stuff instead of attempting yourself.
IMG_8131.jpg
IMG_8133.jpg
IMG_8135.jpg

They wanted to get more done than I thought so I quick put in some insulation and vapor barrier so they can finish the shower
IMG_8140.jpg
IMG_8146.jpg
IMG_8149.jpg
Ran all the piping and drains
IMG_8184.jpg
IMG_8150.jpg

Waited a few days for it to cure to a nice light grey and at it again today
IMG_8198.jpg
IMG_8199.jpg
IMG_8200.jpg
Test fit the door and then left it off so I can have a little more clearance to get the drywall sheets in and then I’ll hang the door permanently.

Since I have the space behind and it’s such a small bathroom I thought I’d add a nice touch here and do built in shelves that are flush with the shower wall. Moved the studs a bit and then framed in a nice area so I can build the shelf as one unit and slide it in.
Adjustments.jpg
61854404721__D4D8F53B-19D9-434C-80A0-AA9ECF2A83A2.jpg

Fixed one of my biggest complains about towel bars, always screwing around with drywall anchors. Not in this house, planning ahead a bit with some of the drops from stud cuts
61854404721__D4D8F53B-19D9-434C-80A0-AA9ECF2A83A2.jpg

Bought a basic vanity 30” white.
IMG_8195.jpg

Tomorrow is electric day, should be pretty minor just drill some holes run some wire. Will likely install the fan and the vent out the side of the house as well, then finish the wall insulation and vapor barrier. Then it’s drywall time.

Almost. Almost.
IMG_8207.jpg

Last edited:

Jsouder53

Hooked
Good to do or good to finish? Haha I’m excited to get the next step done here soon and then the rest can be done slowly at my own pace

Yeah hopefully the big stuff will be done soon, Jeeps been sitting on back burner for too long and it’s slowly getting sketchy to drive it really needs the new steering gear installed.

Threw up another wall in front of the pump, I was going to put an access door in but realized it will be easily accessible from the other side of basement under stairs. That little area will get soundproofing to kill the excessive noise of the pump when watering grass and garden that are on timers and often far too early.
Does anyone know the correct way to frame under the stairs? Nothing structural just has to hold up some drywall was thinking ramset down the base 2x4 then nail in the top and take the vertical pieces where I want them and physically mark them where I need to cut and building it in place. Instead of trying to figure it out and measure angles flip it up and install like I did the other walls.

View attachment 351513

Found out the window is super crooked not sure how I can mask that when I finish it.
View attachment 351514

Then the fun started, I liked this part where you pay other people to do the hard stuff instead of attempting yourself.
View attachment 351515
View attachment 351516
View attachment 351517

They wanted to get more done than I thought so I quick put in some insulation and vapor barrier so they can finish the shower
View attachment 351518
View attachment 351519
View attachment 351520
View attachment 351521
View attachment 351522

View attachment 351523
View attachment 351524
View attachment 351525
Test fit the door and then left it off so I can have a little more clearance to get the drywall sheets in and then I’ll hang the door permanently.

Since I have the space behind and it’s such a small bathroom I thought I’d add a nice touch here and do built in shelves that are flush with the shower wall. Moved the studs a bit and then framed in a nice area so I can build the shelf as one unit and slide it in.
View attachment 351526
View attachment 351527

Fixed one of my biggest complains about towel bars, always screwing around with drywall anchors. Not in this house, planning ahead a bit with some of the drops from stud cuts
View attachment 351527

View attachment 351528

Tomorrow is electric day, should be pretty minor just drill some holes run some wire. Will likely install the fan and the vent out the side of the house as well, then finish the wall insulation and vapor barrier. Then it’s drywall time.

Almost. Almost.
View attachment 351529

I should say finish projects lol

wjtstudios

Hooked

View attachment 351513

View attachment 351514

View attachment 351515
View attachment 351516
View attachment 351517

View attachment 351518
View attachment 351519
View attachment 351520
View attachment 351521
View attachment 351522

View attachment 351523
View attachment 351524
View attachment 351525

View attachment 351526
View attachment 351527

View attachment 351527

View attachment 351528

Almost. Almost.
View attachment 351529

Damn you made a ton of progress. That’ll be great when it’s wrapped up.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

JKbrick

View attachment 351513

View attachment 351514

View attachment 351515
View attachment 351516
View attachment 351517

View attachment 351518
View attachment 351519
View attachment 351520
View attachment 351521
View attachment 351522

View attachment 351523
View attachment 351524
View attachment 351525

View attachment 351526
View attachment 351527

View attachment 351527

View attachment 351528

Almost. Almost.
View attachment 351529

The way your window is so high, even if it is a little crooked I think your better off to frame to the window because most people will think the wall is crooked not the window. Maybe drywall around it but don’t trim it out so it doesn’t draw attention to it

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Got my drywall project pretty far, I never want another drywall project of this size.. But pretty happy with the results. A little touch up and a good finish coat and everything but north wall sho I ld be done. The wife didn't want to reuse the old garage door into the house so waiting for the new one to arrive at menards, and I'm moving it further along wall to build a new mud room.

Attachments

• 20200809_142939.jpg
    20200809_142939.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200809_142950.jpg
    20200809_142950.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 20200809_143010.jpg
    20200809_143010.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 88
Got my drywall project pretty far, I never want another drywall project of this size.. But pretty happy with the results. A little touch up and a good finish coat and everything but north wall sho I ld be done. The wife didn't want to reuse the old garage door into the house so waiting for the new one to arrive at menards, and I'm moving it further along wall to build a new mud room.

Looks good. What did you use for the corners? I’m having a hell of a damn time trying to get this room to not look like shit. I think I am actually at a point it would look better if I left the drywall up without taping or mudding ::facepalm::
IMG_8244.jpg
IMG_8243.jpg

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Looks good. What did you use for the corners? I’m having a hell of a damn time trying to get this room to not look like shit. I think I am actually at a point it would look better if I left the drywall up without taping or mudding ::facepalm::

I honestly find butt joints harder than corners, granted I'm not going for perfect in the garage. I'll try to give you pointers, let me know if you have any questions!

First off, get a corner trowel if you don't already have one. https://www.lowes.com/pd/QLT-by-Mar...UX36_UBEgmhCdGuTZE4aAh02EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

They won't make the job easy, but they help a lot.

I lay a coat of mud about 1.5" out from the corner on both sides. Go just outside of where the tape will lay, any more won't really hurt, but you'll just be pulling it back off.

Fold your paper tape (don't use the fiberglass shit for this) in half along the crease and shove it into the corner, lay it down with your fingers so it's touching mud the entire length and folded out so it's touching the two walls or wall/ceiling.

Grab that corner trowel. You'll want to start from the center of that tape you just laid, press the corner trowel firmly into the tape and scrape it to the end. Both directions. You can hold the other side as you do it to keep it from moving until it gets bedded down in the mud well. The touch here is important, start light if you need to and work your way up. You want to squiggy some of the mud out from under the tape but not all. If you press too lightly the tape will be wavy from the inconsistent mud underneath. To hard you'll squish too much mud out and move the tape. Also make sure you lift off toward the end so you don't pick up the neighboring tape if there is any.

After I do all the tape in a small area like this I'll immediately go over the tape again with a light coat of mud. This time I'll go ~3" to both sides of the tape. Hit it with the corner trowel again just to get the 90 degree shape in the corner. You'll want to press into it but somewhat lightly. The corner trowel will leave lines of mud just outside of it's coverage area. You'll want to see the tape but it should be lightly covered in mud. If you're light with your hands you can skim off the lines of mud that form outside the corner trowels coverage area with a 3-4" knife. If you aren't it is easiest to scrape off when dry.

Let that shit dry 2 days (joint compound takes for fucking ever to dry in Indiana humidity, you can use a 30-45 min setting compound and be able to go back over it same day).

After it is dry (and I mean DRY, I thought one section of my wall was dry and it ended up balling up on me. After 20 minutes of cursing and a beer I decided to just let it dry, sanded back down, and restarted.) scrap any lines and imperfections out of the mud you put in the corners the other day. But try to stay away from tape, you don't want to accidentally peel it up. You do want to pick out/sand any major protrusions from the corners themselves cause the corner trowel will hit them and just keep making those same protrusions.

Again mud ~3" to both sides of the tape. Hit it with the corner trowel again you can press a little more firm because the tape should be pretty well embedded from the prior days work. Leave any runners made from the trowels edge, usually easier to scrape off. Let that dry again (make sure it is dry dry).

My corners needed a 3rd coat on top of tape, I did the third just as above.

I have a little lip because I really only went out the width of that corner trowel all the way around. 3 layers of mud adds up. I figure I can either sand that lip away to make it more of a taper. Or use a 10" trowel to feather the edge out. I haven't decided how yet but either method should work.

Hope this helps. Cheers and good luck!

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King

Inside corners or outside corners?

Inside corners: Do the left side of all the corners one day. Try not to leave excess mud in the corner. Then the next day, the left will be dry, then chip away any boogers, then do the right side of the corners. If you try and do them both at once, you'll fight it back and forth and won't win.

Outside corners: use metal corner bead. After installed, you'll notice a valley between the metal corner and the rest of the wall. Fill it heavy with mud. Then use a 12 inch knife and with the metal bead as your guide, press the knife hard and drag it down. It will create perfect outside corners. And on outside corners, you can do all edges at once.

Primo82

Caught the Bug

Inside corners: Do the left side of all the corners one day. Try not to leave excess mud in the corner. Then the next day, the left will be dry, then chip away any boogers, then do the right side of the corners. If you try and do them both at once, you'll fight it back and forth and won't win.

Outside corners: use metal corner bead. After installed, you'll notice a valley between the metal corner and the rest of the wall. Fill it heavy with mud. Then use a 12 inch knife and with the metal bead as your guide, press the knife hard and drag it down. It will create perfect outside corners. And on outside corners, you can do all edges at once.

Watched videos of this but I struggled to execute. So much technique with mudding. The corner trowel was easy mode.

Also forgot to mention, stay away from sandpaper till you are in your 3rd or 4th coat. Try to just leave the ridges that are easy to scrape off. Also adding mud to taper a high spot back down is way fucking easier then trying to sand it down to where you th I nk it needs to be.

Thanks for the tips, I have the corner tool but somehow I just couldn't get it to work right. I think I was using too much mud. And then I got frustrated and ended up just slapping more on trying to fix it. Annnnd it went downhill from there. Its still drying from round one a day later..... ::facepalm::

Inside, outside I so far am not having issues with there are also only 2 I'll need to do, and a crap ton of inside corners.

Watched videos of this but I struggled to execute. So much technique with mudding. The corner trowel was easy mode.

Also forgot to mention, stay away from sandpaper till you are in your 3rd or 4th coat. Try to just leave the ridges that are easy to scrape off. Also adding mud to taper a high spot back down is way fucking easier then trying to sand it down to where you th I nk it needs to be.
My biggest issue I think is just knowing when to stop and letting it dry, where it sits now im gonna end up sanding 95% of what I did the hell off and starting over. I know I got a good base layer of mud under the tape with no voids So I think I can leave the tape up and just fix the top. I'll be so happy when I can just paint and move forward.

WJCO

Meme King
I would rather do 5 thin coats without sanding. I don't sand until right before sealing and painting. A lot of pretty work can be done just scraping off excess with a knife (if it isn't too thick).

Top Bottom