ProRock 44 (Convential) or Stock Rubicon rework?

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Ok I got some interesting news about using a TJM Prolocker in the front stock Rubicon 44. According to some techs "also stated super expensive" the bearing race (metric) would have to be changed cause they are not standard which is required for the locker. Just how expensive and/or how hard are they to change and get correct?

On the other hand would it be easier to get a conventional Dynatrac Prorock 44, which I believe works with any aftermarket locker?

Been pondering on this for a few hours, without clarity.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Unless you’re set on the tjm locker and keeping the rubi 44 housing, I’d be looking at alternatives that are meant to work together.

What happened to the stock rubi locker? Why would you want to downgrade shafts just to make it fit?

Upvote 0

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Unless you’re set on the tjm locker and keeping the rubi 44 housing, I’d be looking at alternatives that are meant to work together.

What happened to the stock rubi locker? Why would you want to downgrade shafts just to make it fit?
Well I just got the Rubicon housing to work with. A friend of mine (JKbrick) upgraded to a prorock 44 and swapped over the parts.

I think it will work with the new bearings and all, and the axle shafts will be chromoly with full circle clips. Only alternative I found is the conventional prorock 44 I believe.

Upvote 0

bouche03

Ok, so it looks like just some odd size bearing setups. I think I will call Mark's friend (from Dana) tomorrow and explain it to him, since he will do the work.
I'm not certain Seth will know anything about the TJM lockers and the specific bearing races you will need to set things up for non-Rubicon lockers. Also, if you haven't talked to Seth yet, he will only do set ups on loose axles or Jeeps that are on a lift. So your rear will have to be out of the Jeep or on a lift for him to consider doing the gears...he's been doing gears a long time and doesn't have any interest crawling around on the ground to set up gear sets anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
I'm not certain Seth will know anything about the TJM lockers and the specific bearing races you will need to set things up for non-Rubicon lockers. Also, if you haven't talked to Seth yet, he will only do set ups on loose axles or Jeeps that are on a lift. So your rear will have to be out of the Jeep or on a lift for him to consider doing the gears...he's been doing gear a long time and doesn't have any interest crawling around on the ground to set up gear sets anymore.
Yeah we are going to pull the rear when doing this. We had already practiced with Brick, Mark's jeep. I think I have found the correct bearings for the carriers. And Seth checked out the TJM lockers online with us, he likes the idea of them and should setup decent.

Upvote 0

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Well I talked with someone (Seth) who knows about gears, carriers, bearings, ect. And yes putting the tjm prolockers in the front and rear of dana 44s will work. And I found the correct carrier bearing/race combo. So all should go smooth. Guess the people at the shops I called went off the deep end, because they had never tried this combination. 🤔

Upvote 0

jdofmemi

Well I talked with someone (Seth) who knows about gears, carriers, bearings, ect. And yes putting the tjm prolockers in the front and rear of dana 44s will work. And I found the correct carrier bearing/race combo. So all should go smooth. Guess the people at the shops I called went off the deep end, because they had never tried this combination. 🤔
The right person with experience makes all the difference.
Too bad the others didn't have enough sense to admit they didn't know the answer, and send you to someone who would be able to help.

Upvote 0

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
The right person with experience makes all the difference.
Too bad the others didn't have enough sense to admit they didn't know the answer, and send you to someone who would be able to help.
Yeah, it's so frustrating dealing with some people at "jeep" shops.🙄

Upvote 0

desertrunner

Yeah, it's so frustrating dealing with some people at "jeep" shops.🙄

I had to fight with the shop that did my rear axle 3 times about the fact that the JK rear 44 has a thick ring gear and that the locker won't match the gear ratio, and to drill the holes in the locker for the ring gear bolts (which is in the install instructions) all while I'm paying for shop time. And that was all from a "custom" off road shop and an ARB dealer. SMH.
I do think it partly had to do with me bringing my own parts, they were really not happy about that even though I clearly knew what I needed and they didn't.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom