ProRock 44 (Convential) or Stock Rubicon rework?

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Ok I got some interesting news about using a TJM Prolocker in the front stock Rubicon 44. According to some techs "also stated super expensive" the bearing race (metric) would have to be changed cause they are not standard which is required for the locker. Just how expensive and/or how hard are they to change and get correct?

On the other hand would it be easier to get a conventional Dynatrac Prorock 44, which I believe works with any aftermarket locker?

Been pondering on this for a few hours, without clarity.

You replace bearing and race when you install gears/ lockers anyways. Part of a regear master install kit. Unbolt the bearing caps that holds your diff in and they fall out.
No experience with Tjm.

Upvote 0

WJCO

Meme King
Ok I got some interesting news about using a TJM Prolocker in the front stock Rubicon 44. According to some techs "also stated super expensive" the bearing race (metric) would have to be changed cause they are not standard which is required for the locker. Just how expensive and/or how hard are they to change and get correct?

On the other hand would it be easier to get a conventional Dynatrac Prorock 44, which I believe works with any aftermarket locker?

Been pondering on this for a few hours, without clarity.
Explain more, please. Not sure what you're talking about.

Upvote 0

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Are they saying the carrier bearing races? I would put all new bearings in anyway. Did the locker come with bearings?

Upvote 0

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Are they saying the carrier bearing races? I would put all new bearings in anyway. Did the locker come with bearings?
Yeah I was told the original carrier bearing races are metric from the e-lockers on the Rubicon axle.

I did not get any bearings with the lockers. So will it be difficult to get the correct standard bearings, to fit in the Rubicon 44?

Upvote 0

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Explain more, please. Not sure what you're talking about.
Basically the TJM Prolockers are sold for the JK (standard) Dana 44 not the Rubicon 44. I am guessing the only difference is the carrier bearings in the standard rear Dana 44 (Sport, Sahara)?

Upvote 0

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
You replace bearing and race when you install gears/ lockers anyways. Part of a regear master install kit. Unbolt the bearing caps that holds your diff in and they fall out.
No experience with Tjm.
Ok would it be too difficult to find the correct bearings? Or just measurements and ordering the correct ones?

Upvote 0

nbunga

Caught the Bug
The only front locker for a Jeep JK I see in their catalog is for the Dana 30. All of the Dana 44 options I see say for the rear. I don’t know if a locker for a rear 44 would work on a front 44.

Upvote 0

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
The only front locker for a Jeep JK I see in their catalog is for the Dana 30. All of the Dana 44 options I see say for the rear. I don’t know if a locker for a rear 44 would work on a front 44.
I called TJM and then the differential place (purchased from) they said the problem they would run into is the Rubicon front 44 because of the bearing and race are metric. Needed a new bearing set thick/thin possible setup.

I didn't know if its easy as swapping out the bearing and race with a new set, or is there something more to it? Measurements, machining anything?

This all started cause was was looking for 30 spline axle shafts for the front and rear, a guy there stated this may get costly? I don't know if he's being over dramatic ect.

Upvote 0

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Well ARB uses the same locker for front and rear Dana 44s. Another issue I see is the shaft size on rubicon vs non rubicon. Rubicon shafts are 1.5” and 35 spline and non rubicon are 1.31” and 30 spline. But that should be fine as long as you get the larger shafts.

Upvote 0

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Well ARB uses the same locker for front and rear Dana 44s. Another issue I see is the shaft size on rubicon vs non rubicon. Rubicon shafts are 1.5” and 35 spline and non rubicon are 1.31” and 30 spline. But that should be fine as long as you get the larger shafts.
The TJM prolocker only accepts the 30 spline shafts, maybe why the shop I emailed freaked out? Would those be ok in a Rubicon housing, or am I looking at custom shafts?

Upvote 0

nbunga

Caught the Bug
I guess once you get the old carrier out, you’ll have to measure the opening for the bearings and get in a bearing catalog and try to match up the size.

Upvote 0

nbunga

Caught the Bug
The TJM prolocker only accepts the 30 spline shafts, maybe why the shop I emailed freaked out? Would those be ok in a Rubicon housing, or am I looking at custom shafts?
I would think that it would work. Just not as strong as 35.

On second thought, just get the pro rock👍

Upvote 0

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
I guess once you get the old carrier out, you’ll have to measure the opening for the bearings and get in a bearing catalog and try to match up the size.
Ok, so it looks like just some odd size bearing setups. I think I will call Mark's friend (from Dana) tomorrow and explain it to him, since he will do the work.

Upvote 0

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
I would think that it would work. Just not as strong as 35.

On second thought, just get the pro rock👍
There's that, guess I will make the call and ask which may be the easiest. Hopefully just simple measurements and correct bearing and race. Lol

Upvote 0
I’m a bit confused by the complexity here, they manufacture a locker that is meant to work with these things, they can’t tell you a bearing number that fits? Why does this seem like you’re being forced to custom find specialty parts. Or are you trying to Frankenstein shit from different axles?

Upvote 0

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Ok I ended up getting (2) tjm prolockers both the same for a JK Dana 44 (stock rear axle for sport, Sahara). And I got a Rubicon front Dana 44 housing. I am told it would work but the bearing and race are different in the Rubicon front. So those have to be changed out so the locker will fit. No bearings came with the lockers. But it seems no one has done this with TJM Prolockers?

I am not very knowledgeable about this, and it seemed like a huge deal to do when I was looking to order front and rear 30 spline axle shafts.

Upvote 0

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Also they did say call them back on Monday and get a better explanation from their techs who actually install the diffs. So I would probably get a better answer, possibly a bearing #also.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom