Project Blue Jeep

5A4091D9-855C-4796-BB2D-9F4F37D5F1C2.jpeg

I know very little about engines and enjoy your threads...So the side skirt literally wears away this much?! Wow that’s insane. I guess it makes sense though. Surface contact+movement+time=nonexistance...how many miles were on the one pictured here?

View attachment 362079

I know very little about engines and enjoy your threads...So the side skirt literally wears away this much?! Wow that’s insane. I guess it makes sense though. Surface contact+movement+time=nonexistance...how many miles were on the one pictured here?
Just a mixture of cost cutting manufacturing, previous owners not understanding oil change importance, and driving like an asshole haha. Once they wear to a certain amount they start to “slap” which can crack off the entire skirt as seen above. If you’re really unlucky it cracks off enough that the piston can rotate sideways enough and then you shoot the rod through the block and it’s over. The one above has 200-220 don’t remember exactly and was still running fine but noisy. This Jeep has 150ish. It’s a common point of failure with this engine as well as lifter noise and some genius engineer made the head have to come off to replace lifters. All in on parts is under 400 to rebuild, all new gaskets, valve seals, pistons, oil pump, connecting rod bearings, I’m replacing the push rods and head bolts but you don’t have to. Pretty much all the main wear items.
I wish the 3.6 was that easy to work on.
Engines aren’t that scary, everything in the world is just bolts nuts rivets and pins. I will admit this particular engine is only a few steps above a lawn mower in terms of complexity haha

Boredom while doing lawn work apparently means painting the head. 49D2180B-DFB0-4711-A86F-34C93437B110.jpeg
8853654B-3631-4A5A-9192-F74DD5472219.jpeg

Google says this works to clean out a lot of the crap built into the cats. Soak in soap over night. Guess we’ll find out. RIP grass...
3EC4797D-07C9-4CED-BB50-81FFCAC80326.jpeg

Amazing work. One day ill get some older iron to work on myself!!!!!!!!!
Bro it’s an 01. It’s not from the 1900s or something... 🤣
Well done. You really made that seam pretty easy. Nice start up too
Engines are easier than people think. But hey I’ll take the praise. Ha. I’ll button it up later and go break it in, gotta get up to temp and then beat on it to set the rings.

7DD58AEE-CE3C-49D5-8526-53B98A292D18.jpeg
rings set
Engine sounds nice and quiet and heathy.
hole in the muffler will be dealt with soon. Muffler came with Jeep. Looks like it’s gonna be far too loud. But free. So we shall find out.
image.jpg
Gonna let the water circulate the cooling system a couple days then flush any contaminants out and refill with antifreeze. And that should just about wrap this up, on to the next one.
image.jpg

Also, PSA to double check things when you’re in a hurry. Whoopsie... tire is under skid so don’t think I would’ve died but wouldn’t have felt great.
EB54CD8E-4218-4FF1-91FE-7C04BFD2396C.jpeg

Top Bottom