• 3.6L V6

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • 2.0L

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Ecodiesel

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

Colorado4x4

I need some help please. I was chatting with WJCO about motor choices for a JLU. I am moving from a 2016 JKU to a JL. I really am looking for a JLU with the Xtreme Recon package because my JKU was on 35s with stock 4.10 gears and it did great offroad, or all the trails that I wanted to without turning the body into a raisin. My JKU had the stock 4.10 gears with 35s and it was fine for commuting to work from Castle Rock to Denver (60 highway miles/day). However, I couldn't stand to drive that rig up I-70 to the tunnel, Floyd Hill, etc. Especially while loaded down with the family, dogs, camping gear and pulling my homemade offroad trailer (picture attached). I struggled to maintain speed on the passes and was revving it out to the max. Heating up, losing momentum and would end up changing lanes between the big rigs a lot while manually shifting the auto transmission between 2nd and 3rd gear. I don't like that experience at all.

The 8 speed transmission will be huge upgrade for me on the highway mountain passes. I am most concerned about highway driving while loaded down with gear. The 4.56 gears in the Xtreme Recon will be awesome, along with the 8 speed transmission either in the 3.6L or 2.0L. I don't have concern with any of these motors while wheeling Colorado trails or Moab.

3.6L
- I know this motor pretty well see it as a reliable motor. I didn't have any major issues with my 3.6L and have owned a 3.6L since 2012 and putting about 120,000 miles on a couple different JKUs
- I think it will do good going up mountain passes while loaded down, especially with 4.56 gears, 35s and the 8 speed transmission

2.0L
- I know nothing about it
- Has it been around long enough to see how long it will last?
- The turbo has to help a lot on mountain passes
- Its a 4 banger. Technology has changed but I've always loathed 4 bangers

Diesel
-My buddy has an Ecodiesel Gladiator and loves it.
- Great fuel economy
- Potentially more issues with diesel exhaust systems and more costly repairs if/when something goes wrong

I would really appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Thanks a lot - Geoff

IMG_5599.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m with Eddie on the etorque, while it’s better than the earlier start/stop with the auxiliary battery issues, it’s a beast of a battery along the rear driveshaft. It also comes with a whole bunch of additional stuff like starter motor, special fluid, and coolant lines all the way back to the battery. I like the 3.6 a lot but I’m going to delete the etorque crap when someone devises the method.

JWasko

Caught the Bug
I'm guessing you're primarily going to get recommendations for the V6 or Diesel. I'm running the 2.0 non e-torque on 35's with stock 4:10 gears. Holds 8th gear pretty well, occasionally dropping into 7th depending on the incline. I would think that would work well out in the mountain passes. There is the turbo lag which takes some getting used to, and in so far as on the rocks I couldn't say. I haven't made it out there yet, having just picked it up a few months ago. I wasn't a huge fan of the V6 with the manual transmission running 3.73 gears on 35's. Pretty much made it a 4sp at that point unless you were running completely flat.

jesse3638

Hooked
Having a 2021 JKUR with the 3.6 and xtreme recon package I'd say you'd be really happy with it. The diesel option may be better if you can afford it but I'd definitely say go with XR. The combination of 4.56's and e-torque (yes the system is big and bulky) have it accelerate similar to our old Durango RT. It tows our little travel trailer very well (although it really tanks the MOG's). Plus all the options come from the factory so it's all warranted. Plus after really looking into it you couldn't build it after market for cheaper. Only down side is its such a solid package that there aren't many mods to do so you may miss that...haha

onlyone

Having owned all 3 I would say first, hands down no question, the diesel. Second would be the turbo 4. I understand your frustration with the V6. Good motor but gutless in the altitude, but a great engine everywhere else. I was used to running from Eagle to Silverthorne and Denver. The little 4 banger didn’t even notice the hills and the diesel doesn’t even downshift on 37s. I still average 25 mpg with it.

Unfortunately, you’ll be looking at a used diesel since they discontinued it. Maybe a few new ones sitting on a lot somewhere. Definitely where I would be looking. Looks like they will be replacing the fuel pump (recall) with the good old CP3 pump when they finally get around to it. Will be pretty much bulletproof after that pump.

Colorado4x4

Having owned all 3 I would say first, hands down no question, the diesel. Second would be the turbo 4. I understand your frustration with the V6. Good motor but gutless in the altitude. I was used to running from Eagle to Silverthorne and Denver. The little 4 banger didn’t even notice the hills and the diesel doesn’t even downshift on 37s. I still average 25 mpg with it.

Unfortunately, you’ll be looking at a used diesel since they discontinued it. Maybe a few new ones sitting on a lot somewhere. Definitely where I would be looking. Looks like they will be replacing the fuel pump (recall) with the good old CP3 pump when they finally get around to it. Will be pretty much bulletproof after that pump.

There are a couple new 2023 diesels sitting around that they can't sell because they need to replace the high pressure fuel pump. I wonder if I could buy an extended warranty through Jeep for the diesel. That might be a good way to go if I can find a used one with low miles.

onlyone

There are a couple new 2023 diesels sitting around that they can't sell because they need to replace the high pressure fuel pump. I wonder if I could buy an extended warranty through Jeep for the diesel. That might be a good way to go if I can find a used one with low miles.
No need, as the diesel has the 5yr 100k warranty. You might check on what that factory warranty covers. I know my 21 has it. I thought they lifted the sale issues but maybe not.

Ddays

Hooked
I'm a fan of the V6's, mainly for the durability. 250k+ miles is easy to do one these. My 19 JLUR with the 4:10's ran great through Colorado twice on the way to Moab. The 8 speed is the key. I had Cooper Pros on the Chamber Pro wheels - not a light combo. Mileage sucked and seldom saw 8th gear but at no time was it laboring or running hot.
Having said that, if the diesel was available at that time I would have looked hard at one. Driving 60 miles a day makes them pretty tempting.

Brute

Hooked
I'm a fan of the V6's, mainly for the durability. 250k+ miles is easy to do one these. My 19 JLUR with the 4:10's ran great through Colorado twice on the way to Moab. The 8 speed is the key. I had Cooper Pros on the Chamber Pro wheels - not a light combo. Mileage sucked and seldom saw 8th gear but at no time was it laboring or running hot.
Having said that, if the diesel was available at that time I would have looked hard at one. Driving 60 miles a day makes them pretty tempting.
That’s because yours is red…

diesel for the win…

With a 2-door, 2.0L etorque, 3.10 gears, and (now) 35s I have few negative experiences after 4 years and 40k miles, with mostly long distance driving in vacant areas of the southwest. I found that even with the 35s, the fuel economy was still good (between 16 and 25 MPG), and the transmission will stay in 8th (except for steep grades, where it drops to 7) on the highway. It would be better with 4.56 gears.

The only actual negative is that the engine does not sound good and it will never make impressive sounds. When idling, it sounds as bad as my wife's 2007 Subaru Outback.

Top Bottom