POLL : How Much are You Planning to Spend on Your Jeep This Year?

How much are you planning to spend on your Jeep this year?

• None - My Jeep is perfect as is

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • $0-$200

Votes: 12 2.8%
  • $200-$500

Votes: 12 2.8%
  • $500-$1000

Votes: 46 10.6%
  • $1000-$5000

Votes: 228 52.8%
  • $5000-$10000

Votes: 75 17.4%
  • $10000-$20000

Votes: 26 6.0%
  • $20000-Up

Votes: 28 6.5%

• Total voters
Already started to gather parts for a new axle build/swap. Lots going into it but I’ll be sure to start a thread once things start coming together

2qik2see

Not going to be able to do much with my girl this year. COVID really hit us hard so this year is our recoup year. I’ll make it up to her tho next year! 😉

For me, it would be 37's and a re-gear. The last year messed us up, financially. I still have the lift sitting in a box in my garage. Hoping to land the right job soon so I can follow through.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Gonna spend between 1k-5k between the two Jeep’s. Knuckles needs a new cat converter and Ruth needs sliders, skids, rubicon fenders, maybe regear, and a set of basic wheeling tools. This air down tool would be a great start to her kit

Caretaker

Between $3K - $5K on the CJ-5. Getting it painted, working on stopping all the leaks. Ongoing money pit. Thankfully, the JK's OK for the time being.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
First visit back in a while. Like the new forum design. Kudos.

Last year, was the big year for us. Seems most years are in the $1-5K range, as will this year. Last year was the lift/wheels/interior/yaddi yaddi. I am pleased to say we're 'just about there.' Need to dump CB this year, go to GMRS. Unless I find a dual-band GMRS/HAM, HAM's a ways off. Onboard air and switch control sys are the last major items.

We do a lot of independent exploration, my wife and I. On rare occasion we have family join us for a couple days here or there. And while we enjoy events like Jamborees from time to time, we enjoy our time alone without constraint just as much.

So, while Stitch is basically done, our focus turns elsewhere now. Key areas to address now include:
  • Storage - We're on our 4th iteration of how to store things.
    • The Goose Gear interior does wonders in that regard, both for dog-stowing<g>, below-floor space, and regular planar surfaces to make securing things easier. Tools, recovery gear on my/driver side. All food & dry-goods on Kim's/passenger side.
    • Roof Rack - With a good-sized dog (110lb), we work to keep as much floor space open as possible. That means a lot goes up top. We've found some things that work, some don't. Really need to go with some form of rigid storage instead of a cargo bag. Just haven't figured out the best approach. The best solutions cost a good nickel; prefer to spend only once.
    • Camera/Computer/Electronics - Still struggle with a good weight to store, but keep available for ready use.
  • Consolidation/Weight -
    • Space is always a major consideration. However, weight is an even larger concern. Stitch is around 6K lbs. Fully loaded (us, dog, stuff), more like 6,900. Weight was actually the driver behind lift and uprated springs last year. We were too sacked out and fear of breaking something a real concern.
    • We're increasingly eyeballing hiking equipment, lighter-weight sleeping gear, multi-purpose consolidation. And, of course, simply leaving at home what isn't needed. For me, tools fits in this category. I've one full set of tools in an Atlas 46 tool roll, that is somewhere around 50lbs. Then recovery gear plus air compressor. All told, there's probably an honest 100 lbs or so of steel/gear.
    • Clothing - A sweatshirt doesn't seem to weigh much. But after you daily un/load a roof rack, you become very conscious of how much clothing can weigh. This is another major area of focus. Take less. But also get better that weighs less. Unfortunately, this is harder than buying good tools/jeep parts. We've bought some names-you-know major name brand gear, only to find it's expensive crap. The search continues.
    • My goal this year, find another 80-100 lbs weight reduction.
Anyway, that's where we're at and where our spending will go.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug

Last year, was the big year for us. Seems most years are in the $1-5K range, as will this year. Last year was the lift/wheels/interior/yaddi yaddi. I am pleased to say we're 'just about there.' Need to dump CB this year, go to GMRS. Unless I find a dual-band GMRS/HAM, HAM's a ways off. Onboard air and switch control sys are the last major items.

We do a lot of independent exploration, my wife and I. On rare occasion we have family join us for a couple days here or there. And while we enjoy events like Jamborees from time to time, we enjoy our time alone without constraint just as much.

So, while Stitch is basically done, our focus turns elsewhere now. Key areas to address now include:
    • The Goose Gear interior does wonders in that regard, both for dog-stowing<g>, below-floor space, and regular planar surfaces to make securing things easier. Tools, recovery gear on my/driver side. All food & dry-goods on Kim's/passenger side.
    • Roof Rack - With a good-sized dog (110lb), we work to keep as much floor space open as possible. That means a lot goes up top. We've found some things that work, some don't. Really need to go with some form of rigid storage instead of a cargo bag. Just haven't figured out the best approach. The best solutions cost a good nickel; prefer to spend only once.
    • Camera/Computer/Electronics - Still struggle with a good weight to store, but keep available for ready use.
  • Consolidation/Weight -
    • Space is always a major consideration. However, weight is an even larger concern. Stitch is around 6K lbs. Fully loaded (us, dog, stuff), more like 6,900. Weight was actually the driver behind lift and uprated springs last year. We were too sacked out and fear of breaking something a real concern.
    • We're increasingly eyeballing hiking equipment, lighter-weight sleeping gear, multi-purpose consolidation. And, of course, simply leaving at home what isn't needed. For me, tools fits in this category. I've one full set of tools in an Atlas 46 tool roll, that is somewhere around 50lbs. Then recovery gear plus air compressor. All told, there's probably an honest 100 lbs or so of steel/gear.
    • Clothing - A sweatshirt doesn't seem to weigh much. But after you daily un/load a roof rack, you become very conscious of how much clothing can weigh. This is another major area of focus. Take less. But also get better that weighs less. Unfortunately, this is harder than buying good tools/jeep parts. We've bought some names-you-know major name brand gear, only to find it's expensive crap. The search continues.
Of course, wrote this, forgot about unplanned expenses. $1,500 already. Had to replace the rear axles seals...that should've been done when re-gearing was done last year. One bad shock. And, had to send the front Wood's driveshaft in for repair. <10K on it, developed vibration. Fixed w/o issue and reinstalled. Hoping that's it for major repairs this season.

Elroy231

I see a warn winch in the near future. Really would like some 42s in about a years time. Chromoly shafts. Seats and harnesses. Hell, a roll cage even while I'm at it.

Kuboske

At least a new locker in my 8.8.
Looking at a air-shifted, OX.
Too many bad stories right now about ARB's.

Brute

Hooked
Going to reconfigure the bed of Brute end of May...change the bed cage to accommodate a IKamper Mini rtt (which I’ve already purchased), remove the box, remount the spare under the rtt, add an awning and mount my 4 tube fly rod holder.

now if a used 392 JL comes up for sale, the $$ will go north significantly...

Seahawkfan

Hooked

• Consolidation/Weight -
Speechless..o_O

briand

Yep, definitely the 1000-5000 range. Looking at a lift, wheels and tires, drive shafts, new winch.....will see how much more I can get going on it.

briand

Of course, wrote this, forgot about unplanned expenses. $1,500 already. Had to replace the rear axles seals...that should've been done when re-gearing was done last year. One bad shock. And, had to send the front Wood's driveshaft in for repair. <10K on it, developed vibration. Fixed w/o issue and reinstalled. Hoping that's it for major repairs this season.
Unexpected expenses are always part of the driver of spending for me, had to get a new radiator, need new ball joints and starting to get a weird vibration I haven’t figured out. May be way over the 1k-5k that I planned on spending. Still not bad since I haven’t upgraded to something with electronics in it. Still using my CJ7 as a daily and wheeling rig. I think I abuse it more with the daily driving more than anything.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
$1K - $5K

I'd plan to swap the JT's front lights to factory LEDs and get a set of rock rails on it.

For the JK, I'd like to swap put the front drive shaft and axle shafts but I don't know if I'll get to either of them.

Graywolf

05 superduty dana 60 front , 3 core radiator with fan, 5 atx slabs bead locks Detroit lockers front and back. complete rebuild of 4.0 to 4.6 stroker and assorted stuff to make a 3 link for the front. new exhaust, header to tail pipe. Trying to get it done before father's day for a poker run on the Rubicon that weekend.

Top Bottom