POLL : How do You Feel About Jeep Being Owned by the Chinese?

How do You Feel About Jeep Being Owned by the Chinese?

• Makes no difference to me especially if they're cheaper

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • So long as they're mostly made in the USA - I'd be okay with it

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • I would never buy another new Jeep if China owns the company

Votes: 43 70.5%

• Total voters

Kuboske

So many of the parts are already manufactured there, then shipped here for assembly.

I have no idea where the transmission parts and engine parts are manufactured. I know one town where they are sent for final machining and assembly and that is in Kokomo, Indiana. I know Kokomo also has a castings plant, but I believe that is just transmission housings.
The Indianapolis foundry (Chrysler engines) closed several years ago after a major addition and they leveled the place.
The Ford foundry in Indy was also closed, years ago. As was the Cummins foundry. I know because I hauled foundry sand to all of them...

TrailHunter

Hooked
I feel like I’m living a lie everyday using non USA products... especially from the political Communist China. (Even though they seem to thrive on Capitalism)

If they own Jeep, I’m out on anything new. I’m getting tired of this One World shit... as if we live in some utopia where other countries don’t want to destroy us and breakdown the freedom we’ve been fighting for all these centuries.

I’ll stick to older models if thats the case. All this BS is turning me into a grumpy old man.

Spazbyt

Hooked
To me, this isn't about simple economics. I'm all for open markets and global trade but china isn't just a trade partner like many other nations. China is actively positioning itself to overtake the united states not only economically, but more importantly militarily. They use American's insatiable desire for ever-cheaper products against us. They entice corporations with the potential to enter the booming Chinese market only to limit their exports and demand imports then steal their IP, designs, tooling etc. Under Chinese law, foreign automakers cannot operate independently, but must instead partner with local manufacturers ie. the Chinese Communist Party. This happened to jeep back when the Renegade first launched. China told jeep if they wanted to sell the Renegade in china they had to build the plants in China and could only sell in China. Of course, Jeep fell for it hook line and sinker and jeep's sales have been plummeting ever since.

I may tap out if it's owned by the chicoms. Not tap out of having my current Jeeps, but likely would be done buying new. Same would go for Dodge.
Would your decision be the same if gasoline jumped to $20/gallon (half of it penalty taxes and a lot due to more regulation) due to the reaction to global heating?

Ddays

Hooked
Would your decision be the same if gasoline jumped to $20/gallon (half of it penalty taxes and a lot due to more regulation) due to the reaction to global heating?
I don't follow. What do gas prices have to do with China buying Jeep? Would I ever buy a Chinese made vehicle? No, never. No matter the mileage if that's what you mean.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I would love it if Jeep was assembled and manufactured in the USA. However you take what you can get at this point. Ram diesel trucks have been made in Mexico since like 1995. So at what point does it become an issue? When they ship it from China?
They were just moved back to Detroit. Ours were the last ones built down there.

wjtstudios

Hooked
That is a hard thing to commit to, saying you would never buy a Jeep again if they were out right owned by a Chinese company, especially a state owned company, but I do believe I would. I agree with WJCO that I would but a used Jeep built from the European ownership verses a new Jeep from the Chinese. The only way this country will take a stand against China is if we do it on our own accord. Our government, especially now, will only make it easier for them to monopolize the world thru cheap consumer goods. But unfortunately this country all about cheap goods and buying as much as you can for as cheap as you can instead of buying a few high quality items that last for a lifetime. So any change is unlikely, unfortunately.

My wife’s GCL that we pick up next week was made in Detroit with 72% of its parts coming from the NAFTA group which is very high when you compare that to other vehicles and companies that are US based. I still really do appreciate that Jeep is trying to keep it US based as much as they can.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That is a hard thing to commit to, saying you would never buy a Jeep again if they were out right owned by a Chinese company, especially a state owned company, but I do believe I would. I agree with WJCO that I would but a used Jeep built from the European ownership verses a new Jeep from the Chinese. The only way this country will take a stand against China is if we do it on our own accord. Our government, especially now, will only make it easier for them to monopolize the world thru cheap consumer goods. But unfortunately this country all about cheap goods and buying as much as you can for as cheap as you can instead of buying a few high quality items that last for a lifetime. So any change is unlikely, unfortunately.

My wife’s GCL that we pick up next week was made in Detroit with 72% of its parts coming from the NAFTA group which is very high when you compare that to other vehicles and companies that are US based. I still really do appreciate that Jeep is trying to keep it US based as much as they can.
This country won’t take a stand. Too many pussies. Look at the stand people aren’t making about the masks. The minority make the stand but their voice is too small.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Hard to answer this one. It's by no means a black/white issue. A multinational based in Europe, it's easiest to say Wrangler's now a Dutch product. Looking at 'domestic content' as a metric does not provide a clean answer. How deep into the supply chain is that evaluated? For instance, if Magna assembles a variety of the components they supply to an OEM in the U.S. (say, an IP), but most of the components they use in that IP are foreign-sourced, is that 'American' content? This is an argument that's been around a long time. Just ask Harley-Davidson. An 'American' company that's increasingly sourced foreign parts for decades now.

Do you shun Jeep (at some point) because China gains a controlling interest? What happens to our friends/neighbors who work at the Toledo Jeep plant? Or the thousands in the aftermarket industries? Shun them, by extension, too?

For me, if China grabbed control, I'd likely shift my focus toward Bronco. Assuming, big assumption, that it proves a durable and viable alternative.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If China buys Jeep, I will not buy another new one. I try to buy made in USA as much as possible but that it is not possible to buy everything made here because everything isn’t made here. But I can choose to not buy a vehicle made in China. That’s easy.

RCC

If China buys Jeep, I will not buy another new one. I try to buy made in USA as much as possible but that it is not possible to buy everything made here because everything isn’t made here. But I can choose to not buy a vehicle made in China. That’s easy.
This sums up my thoughts exactly.

I go out of my way to avoid anything made in China. I am not always successful but I try.

RCC

This country won’t take a stand. Too many pussies. Look at the stand people aren’t making about the masks. The minority make the stand but their voice is too small.

The country for the most part is addicted to cheap throw away crap. Hence the reason places like Walmart amd harbor freight are so popular. People don’t want to make investments in quality anymore.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The country for the most part is addicted to cheap throw away crap. Hence the reason places like Walmart amd harbor freight are so popular. People don’t want to make investments in quality anymore.
Those places have their place in society. But it is all too common and too poplar nowadays.

Ddays

Hooked
It has to do with the desire to have a Jeep with a carburetor vs electric.
Not pickin up what you're layin down bud. Jeeps haven't had carbs since 90 or something. What does the powerplant have to do with the Chinese potentially buying the company?

Top Bottom