Overland / get out of "almost" anywhere lift kits

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm doing a JT with the Evo COs' without the double throw down. After talking to Evo my understanding is the non CO rear spring setup may be better if you plan to tow heavier loads. I'm trying end up with a JT that can play in the rocks or be an extreme overlander. Going with Dynatrac Pro 60/80 axles to make it harder for me to break things. I will have an Overland Atlas topper (400lbs) on it at times and possibly tow a lite weight dirt bike trailer . Won't be towing the trailer in the rocks and won't be doing extreme crawling with the topper. I know I might have to play with the rear springs till we get it sorted. I'm sure it going to be a fun learning adventure. Call Evo and tell them what you're trying to do with your JT. Between Mel and Eddie the have a lot of input
Is it safe to assume you'll be running 40's on your rig?

WJCO

Meme King
After talking to Evo my understanding is the non CO rear spring setup may be better if you plan to tow heavier loads.
Can you elaborate a little more on what they told you about this? I'm not sure what I'm doing yet but trying to gather as much info in the process.

scruffy

Can you elaborate a little more on what they told you about this? I'm not sure what I'm doing yet but trying to gather as much info in the process.
I certainly don't know what I'm doing. I know just enough to be dangerous. My JKU didn't have COs'. It was on 1 tons with 37s' and handled great on road and off. Was great on the rocks with 37s'. I have no experience with COs'. I just wanted to have the best riding, most capable all around JT for my use. I learned a long time ago on dirt bikes to spend my money on suspension. Went to Evo because they seemed like they were putting developmental time into JTs' and had complete suspension setup packages. I strongly recommend you call Evo and tell them your budget and what you want to do with your JT. Take advantage of their knowledge. I'm still waiting on my Dynatrac axles five months after ordering them. Be prepared to wait for parts.

WJCO

Meme King
I certainly don't know what I'm doing. I know just enough to be dangerous. My JKU didn't have COs'. It was on 1 tons with 37s' and handled great on road and off. Was great on the rocks with 37s'. I have no experience with COs'. I just wanted to have the best riding, most capable all around JT for my use. I learned a long time ago on dirt bikes to spend my money on suspension. Went to Evo because they seemed like they were putting developmental time into JTs' and had complete suspension setup packages. I strongly recommend you call Evo and tell them your budget and what you want to do with your JT. Take advantage of their knowledge. I'm still waiting on my Dynatrac axles five months after ordering them. Be prepared to wait for parts.
Thanks. I started this thread recently too if you haven't seen it: https://www.wayalife.com/threads/ride-quality-of-coilovers-vs-regular-coil-springs.61292/

I just want to do this once and right.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Noooo, and I regretfully just recently sold my JKU
Sorry to hear it. 5 months seems completely unreasonable to me.

MericaMade here on the forum ordered some (I forget the wait time he had) but it was an eternity. He cancelled and went with Dana 60s.
Yup. MericaMade waited an eternity, cancelled his order and then got his UD60's in just a matter of days.

I should note, I have found the UD60's I have on my JT have been holding up great AND they have way bigger brakes than the PR60/80 I have on Moby AND they don't have any speed sensor issues.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I'm doing a JT with the Evo COs' without the double throw down. After talking to Evo my understanding is the non CO rear spring setup may be better if you plan to tow heavier loads. I'm trying end up with a JT that can play in the rocks or be an extreme overlander. Going with Dynatrac Pro 60/80 axles to make it harder for me to break things. I will have an Overland Atlas topper (400lbs) on it at times and possibly tow a lite weight dirt bike trailer . Won't be towing the trailer in the rocks and won't be doing extreme crawling with the topper. I know I might have to play with the rear springs till we get it sorted. I'm sure it going to be a fun learning adventure. Call Evo and tell them what you're trying to do with your JT. Between Mel and Eddie the have a lot of input
You really need to start a build thread. It sounds like this is going to be awesome!!

scruffy

Thanks. I started this thread recently too if you haven't seen it: https://www.wayalife.com/threads/ride-quality-of-coilovers-vs-regular-coil-springs.61292/

Read the thread

Sorry to hear it. 5 months seems completely unreasonable to me.

Yup. MericaMade waited an eternity, cancelled his order and then got his UD60's in just a matter of days.

I should note, I have found the UD60's I have on my JT have been holding up great AND they have way bigger brakes than the PR60/80 I have on Moby AND they don't have any speed sensor issues.
Now you got me thinking. I'm just about ready to pull the plug and go with UD 60s'. I had them on my JKU and they were fine, especially liked the brakes.

scruffy

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Now you got me thinking. I'm just about ready to pull the plug and go with UD 60s'. I had them on my JKU and they were fine, especially liked the brakes.

Honestly, I really can't see a reason why you shouldn't pull the plug. Get your Jeep going already. (y)

Good thread. I think it reinforces my decision, I hope. I'm sure there will be a learning curve. I know about rebound, compression, preload and sag settings on motorcycles. But I don't have a clue on jeep setup. What could possibly go wrong!
It's all pretty much the same stuff. You're just dealing with much bigger shocks and spring rates is all.

Top Bottom