Optimum Caster for PR44 Unlimited

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Hoping to pull the trigger next week on a PR44 and was curious what the optimum caster is with the 10° housing.

I'm currently running the stock 4.2° of caster and have heard the extra caster in the Dynatrac axle adds a nice level of stability. Driveline vibes aside, what caster angle is a good starting point? I'm thinking 6° but was just curious what others have theirs set at.

Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
6 deg is what I believe comes standard on the Unlimited and it's what I would recommend.

Diesel_Ranger

I know this is an old thread, but in all my research on the forum and the rest of the net, I don't feel like I have a solid answer to the question.

I just installed my PR44 U, I am running a 3" lift and have adjustable short arms. I also have a 1310 driveshaft. Should I be setting my caster angle to 6 degrees, which would be a measurement of 4 degrees on my pinion for my Unlimited housing?

The jeep drives well now with no wobble or hesitant front end, but I am currently set at 1.5-2 degrees of pinion angle. Is this too much positive caster?

Any recommendations would be appreciated, as their is no reputable shops where I am currently stationed that I trust to touch my jeep, let alone know what I am talking about when I need a 4 wheel alignment and adjustable control arms.

Thanks,
Dave

WJCO

Meme King
I know this is an old thread, but in all my research on the forum and the rest of the net, I don't feel like I have a solid answer to the question.

I just installed my PR44 U, I am running a 3" lift and have adjustable short arms. I also have a 1310 driveshaft. Should I be setting my caster angle to 6 degrees, which would be a measurement of 4 degrees on my pinion for my Unlimited housing?

The jeep drives well now with no wobble or hesitant front end, but I am currently set at 1.5-2 degrees of pinion angle. Is this too much positive caster?

Any recommendations would be appreciated, as their is no reputable shops where I am currently stationed that I trust to touch my jeep, let alone know what I am talking about when I need a 4 wheel alignment and adjustable control arms.

Thanks,
Dave

This thread may help: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/52569-Caster-and-vibration-suggestions

However, don't overthink it. Basically, if you're not having any issues, just leave it. Ideally, the driveshaft and pinion angle should point at each other, but to do this, caster suffers. Being you have a PR44 Unlimited, set your caster at 6 and if you don't have any driveline vibrations, just leave it. If you do, you may even be able to lower it to 5 and check again.

Ddays

Hooked
This thread may help: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/52569-Caster-and-vibration-suggestions

However, don't overthink it. Basically, if you're not having any issues, just leave it. Ideally, the driveshaft and pinion angle should point at each other, but to do this, caster suffers. Being you have a PR44 Unlimited, set your caster at 6 and if you don't have any driveline vibrations, just leave it. If you do, you may even be able to lower it to 5 and check again.

Wouldn't the pinion angle be set at 0° with the unlimited housing? Sitting in parking lot waiting for wife and trying to figure this out like a math problem :crazyeyes:

jesse3638

Hooked
Wouldn't the pinion angle be set at 0° with the unlimited housing? Sitting in parking lot waiting for wife and trying to figure this out like a math problem :crazyeyes:
If I remember correctly the unlimited housing has 10° where as the stock housing had 6°. Stock Caster is set to 4.2° (1.8+ pinion angle). PR44 Caster of 6° (4.0+ pinion angle).

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
Dynatrac says between 6 to 8 degrees, I took mine to an off road shop that does alignment and they dialed it in to 6.5 and now my jeep is the smoothest it's ever been on the road. you san steer it with one finger and there is absolutely no vibrations.

Top Bottom