Old School Cool

Jsouder53

Hooked
First house we bought had carpet in every room except the kitchen. It was the nastiest thing pulling it out of the bathrooms. Fortunately no water damage as pewpew82 said but still awful. Bath salts, the actual ones that were used for baths in the 80s, went flying out when I ripped the carpet up.
The two bathrooms that I pulled carpet out of had excessive staining around the toilet 😂

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Encyclopedia Britannica set.
My parents bought this for me when I went in the 6th grade. This was a big deal and expensive.
View attachment 395293
LOL - I got the World brand but yeah, it was crazy expensive for my folks but they were determined to have me educated. Crazy to think this book set contained just about everything you needed to know and what Google and AI has completely made obsolete.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
LOL - I got the World brand but yeah, it was crazy expensive for my folks but they were determined to have me educated. Crazy to think this book set contained just about everything you needed to know and what Google and AI has completely made obsolete.
I remember having arguments with friends about some fact or another and that’s how it was eventually settled. There was no instantaneous verification. You actually had to read- and I always ended up reading about a bunch of other stuff.

On a related note, do you remember in the early days of the internet how most of the websites had an ‘.edu’ domain? Way more useful info available back then.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I remember having arguments with friends about some fact or another and that’s how it was eventually settled. There was no instantaneous verification. You actually had to read- and I always ended up reading about a bunch of other stuff.

On a related note, do you remember in the early days of the internet how most of the websites had an ‘.edu’ domain? Way more useful info available back then.
LOL - that's awesome and so true! At the risk of sounding old, I actually miss having to find out information from an encyclopedia. Hell, when Cindy and I met, we used to spend a lot of time in the public library to do research on all kinds of hobbies and things we were interested in.

As far as the early days of the internet goes, those were actually really good times as well. It is how we came to be who we are today - by posting up GOOD information and the early search engines of the time would pick us up because of it. Now a days, it's all about social media whores and for the life of me, I can never really find what I'm looking for - maybe on page 3 or 4 of my search but only after being bombarded with bullshit YouTube videos and lame ass ads.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
LOL - that's awesome and so true! At the risk of sounding old, I actually miss having to find out information from an encyclopedia. Hell, when Cindy and I met, we used to spend a lot of time in the public library to do research on all kinds of hobbies and things we were interested in.

As far as the early days of the internet goes, those were actually really good times as well. It is how we came to be who we are today - by posting up GOOD information and the early search engines of the time would pick us up because of it. Now a days, it's all about social media whores and for the life of me, I can never really find what I'm looking for - maybe on page 3 or 4 of my search but only after being bombarded with bullshit YouTube videos and lame ass ads.
Totally agree! Most of the internet just pisses me off. Way too many adds and 💩

I’ll admit, I was a library nerd! 😂🤣

AZVAJKU

Hooked

Totally agree! Most of the internet just pisses me off. Way too many adds and 💩

I’ll admit, I was a library nerd! 😂🤣

Ddays

Hooked
we used to spend a lot of time in the public library

Man, it was awesome to go to the library when I was a kid. The sight of all of those books full of things to learn.....sounds corny but it felt like a privilege to spend a Saturday there. And when you got your first library card? Wow, that was a big deal.

When we first got married & starting a family we were watching our money like everyone else. I started going back to the library when I was in my mid 20's to borrow books to read. Now the convenience of the Kindles is hard to argue against.

Ddays

Hooked
Encyclopedia Britannica set.
My parents bought this for me when I went in the 6th grade. This was a big deal and expensive.
View attachment 395293

Never had a set, bit a local grocery store gave away a set of animal encyclopedias when I was little. I got a new one every 2 weeks. Practically wore those out.

It sure is handy having the interwebs to look shit up, but there's something cool about about having to work a little to find things.

Top Bottom