Noroad's Build

Rhin0247

Where do you buy that/ is there a flush needed after?
I have not done anything with the heater core. Also i bought a new cap in cali for it but think im going to buy another as they are short money.

The UV dye can be purchased at almost all Auto Stores, I like using the stand alone dye and not the dye pre-mixed with coolant. Try blowing some heat in the cab on your way home from work, if it doesn't get HOT you may need to flush your heater core or replace the core.

noroad

The UV dye can be purchased at almost all Auto Stores, I like using the stand alone dye and not the dye pre-mixed with coolant. Try blowing some heat in the cab on your way home from work, if it doesn't get HOT you may need to flush your heater core or replace the core.

O She get hot lol! And ill have to stop in and get some with a new cap as well!

seanb123

The other guys covered it pretty good sometimes you can get a kit that comes with a uv flashlight that's what I'd go with but most stores carry it and no flush needed afterwards

I know you've seen a lot of off-roading lately did you make sure you hosed down your radiator real good from the top I know on more than one occasion this has caused me to over heat

Last edited:
If you keep having to add water/coolant there is a leak. There are really only three places it can go. Into the combustion chamber (head gasket), into the oil (again head gasket), or into the outside. If the oil doesn't look muddy (I know yours doesn't), It leaves it to a combustion chamber leak or outside. I know you pressure tested it last night but I've had small head gasket issues not show up until the engine is warm.

Outside leaks can be tricky, especially if the leak is small. As mentioned, dye works well for this. Some dyes will actually last through the combustion and if you have head issue it will show on the ground where your exhaust lets out and on the tip.

If the water/coolant is holding, you have a flow problem. Either air through the radiator, or water/coolant through the wet side. Water/Coolant flow can be a bad thermostat, water-pump, radiator, or hose issue. A full coolant flush might be in order to rule these out. Air flow is pretty simple to address. Just clean the fins. Sometimes the fan can go bad but you have already said yours is running so we know it's okay.

The last culprit that had also been addressed is the cap. The cap does two things (beyond sealing the radiator). 1- Maintain pressure in the system. For your Jeep this is 18PSI. This pressure raises the boiling point of the water/coolant. If the water/coolant isn't under pressure it will steam off at normal operating temps. 2- Allow for air to enter the system when cooling. If this doesn't work your hoses will collapse as the engine cools from operating temps. (This is the reason you replaced your cap to begin with.)

Did you have this issue before you replaced the cap?

Last edited:

Rccrwlr

2- Allow for air to enter the system when cooling. If this doesn't work your hoses will collapse as the engine cools from operating temps. (This is the reason you replaced your cap to begin with.)

Didn't know this. My upper hose collapses. Maybe I need a new cap.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
You can get a head gasket test kit from some auto parts stores/snap-on/matco distributors. Has a "turkey baster" type tool that presses onto the coolant reservoir. You fill the baster full of a blue fluid and after pumping the ball on the baster a few times, the fluid will turn yellow of hydrocarbons are detected in the cooling system. This would indicate a blown head gasket. If the fluid stays blue and doesn't change color at all, head gaskets are good to go.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
You can get a head gasket test kit from some auto parts stores/snap-on/matco distributors. Has a "turkey baster" type tool that presses onto the coolant reservoir. You fill the baster full of a blue fluid and after pumping the ball on the baster a few times, the fluid will turn yellow of hydrocarbons are detected in the cooling system. This would indicate a blown head gasket. If the fluid stays blue and doesn't change color at all, head gaskets are good to go.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441327833.151009.jpg ........

noroad

so coolant problem still on going lol, but investigation should be wrapped up tomorrow(I hope), also big doings coming. Ten factory axle shafts are in thanks to Northridge, also just placed my front cage order with the rear soon to be. Also the hydro blue is going to be needing sliders as we just sold the stock ones, so we are on the hunt for a nice slider that works well with no armor!!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
so coolant problem still on going lol, but investigation should be wrapped up tomorrow(I hope), also big doings coming. Ten factory axle shafts are in thanks to Northridge, also just placed my front cage order with the rear soon to be. Also the hydro blue is going to be needing sliders as we just sold the stock ones, so we are on the hunt for a nice slider that works well with no armor!!

I still have my rear section, not sure if you are looking for the rockhard or not tho...

noroad

I still have my rear section, not sure if you are looking for the rockhard or not tho...

thanks man but im planning on going with the synergy rear weld in look boss! Plus I have a secret twist im working on.

Damn! I was really hoping the coolant issue was cap related as the timing seemed to line up with the change.

lol still could be that I have yet to even fill it up and put the new cap on. I have to go buy some dye and coolant.

Rccrwlr

Wait did I miss something? Hydro Blue what?

WJCO

Meme King
I like the rims. You buy those or paint em? I have some JK take offs on my WJ and am thinking of painting the outer surface black and leaving the inserts the way they are (silver), but I like the way this looks too.

lol been busy at work.

Hydro blue jeep. our other jeep, is in the market for sliders.
View attachment 164423

Top Bottom