Moab BLM Land Use Lawsuit - PLEASE COMMENT

Colorado4x4

Please comment on the BLM website to help keep Moab trails open. The Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance is trying to shut down access to 330,000 acres of motorized recreation outside of Moab. This includes every trail west of Hwy 191 and north of Moab up to I-70. This includes Rusty Nail, Gold Bar Rim, Golden Spike, Poison Spider Mesa, Sevenmile Rim, The Pickle, Gemini Bridges and more.

Click on the green “...” icon on the left. Scroll all the way to the right and click “Participate Now” and please make a comment to help keep these trails open! Even if you haven’t wheeled in Moab, you may in the future and these trails could be closed. If they get these trails closed then they will just keep going with their BS with the rest of BLM and National Forest Trails across our country at some point. Comments are due by April 26th.

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
Is the southern Utah wilderness alliance just an environmental group?
Yes. Groups like this go after areas like this all the time. During the 29 Palms Base expansion into Johnson Valley several years ago it was the only time I've seen both, environmental groups and OHV groups team up. Each with their own agenda of course. In the end the military won out.

Edit: Here is a link to their website SUWA. Looks to be another tree hugging group going up against one of the Gov land management agencies trying to tell them how they're doing it all wrong and it means total demise of the earth.

jesse3638

Hooked
A banner on their home page:

"WILL OUR REDROCK CANYONS SURVIVE? IT’S UP TO US."​

The fucking rocks have been there millions of years, how are rubber tired vehicles going to destroy them.?
These people suck balls.
They are also posting how the BLM's Juniper eradication project is bad for climate change. If they only knew that juniper are very thirsty and suck up 100's of gallons of water per tree a day. They also used to be kept in check by wildfire. Humans have become so good at suppressing them that they have begun to over run prairie lands choking out natural grass lands which in turn affects the habitat for sage grouse, an endangerd species. Hmmmmm

Ddays

Hooked
They are also posting how the BLM's Juniper eradication project is bad for climate change. If they only knew that juniper are very thirsty and suck up 100's of gallons of water per tree a day. They also used to be kept in check by wildfire. Humans have become so good at suppressing them that they have begun to over run prairie lands choking out natural grass lands which in turn affects the habitat for sage grouse, an endangerd species. Hmmmmm
Hey there, stop trying to use that fancy-pants logic. All that matters is that they mean well.

Colorado4x4

These flower sniffers are relentless. The BLM settled with the tree hugger group back in 2017 I think and this is the public scoping period for the BLM and comments are due by April 26th. The final plan will come out in 2023. I need to go run the Rubicon before these bastards sue the forest service in CA.

Kuboske

These flower sniffers are relentless. The BLM settled with the tree hugger group back in 2017 I think and this is the public scoping period for the BLM and comments are due by April 26th. The final plan will come out in 2023. I need to go run the Rubicon before these bastards sue the forest service in CA.
I remember a few years ago, wheeling in the St. Elmo, area, some Jeep guys telling me about a group there, called "the quiet use coalition". They wanted EVERYTHING closed, and designated wilderness area. Same trip, we moved on to the San Juan's and met a Forest Service guy, on Imogene Pass. He told us Jeep guys really didn't cause much trouble, but, the massive increase in UTV's, being hauled in or rented by anyone, was going to cause closures. This is a battle that will continue. And, on multiple fronts. Pretty depressing.

Good thread, Colorado4x4.

EECEB745-A842-490A-A9F6-5586339DD5D7.png E7166CA3-FA2A-4835-B867-AEAA8C8BBBCE.jpeg

Sorry SXSs. I don’t actually hate you that much. But when a group of extremists needs a sacrificial lamb...I don’t actually like you enough to not use you.

Plus then all the people that I’ve met on side by sides who are actually cool will be forced to buy jeeps and bring balance to the force.

Colorado4x4

These people make me so mad. I want to start a Jeep club and then sue the BLM to only allow Jeeps. No hikers because they destroy the environment and they usually bring dogs which disturb wildlife and destroy critical cryptobiotic soil. No Toyota’s either because they tear up the trail because they don’t have the low range gearing required and get a lot of wheel spin with no traction. No birdwatchers should be allowed either because they spend a lot of time in one spot and their tripods put unnecessary pressure on critical soil and they trample yucca plants. That’s how stupid this is. These trails have been there for a long time and I hope they stay. My body is too old to play sports anymore, my strength is too weak to climb or hunt as hard as I used to so trashing my Jeep is all I have left.

jesse3638

Hooked
Good thread, Colorado4x4.

View attachment 361994 View attachment 361995

Sorry SXSs. I don’t actually hate you that much. But when a group of extremists needs a sacrificial lamb...I don’t actually like you enough to not use you.
Couldn't agree more. Most owners have little to no understanding of trail use, etiquette, tread lightly, or even legal places to ride.

Simple solution, like a lot of forest service roads, post street legal vehicles only. Then assign law enforcement to enforce these rules.

About 10 years ago San Bernardino County needed to reduce illegal riding. They set up on the big holiday weekends and ticketed everyone illegally riding and turned would-be campers/riders away and told them where they could legally ride. Only took a couple weekends and illegal riding was reduced by more than 90%.

J&k_Overland

Saw so much damage from side by sides these last two years. They just blatantly drive off the trail and tear shit up. So aggravating.

Top Bottom