Mission Control... We Have a Problem

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Seriously though, you had to be getting some nasty air and landing on something VERY hard to do that damage with a fully engaged bolt.

Might want to see if someone can do an MT (magnaflux) on that housing before you waste money on a repair attempt.
I’m guessing it was the JTX in 2020. I’d bet the hit responsible for that in the desert would’ve been significantly more disruptive/noticeable than falling off line in the rocks.
This is possible ^^^

The trails we were running in New England were slick as snot and required a LOT of skinny pedal. It wasn't pretty.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess the good news is that maybe the crack in the webbing was from a hard hit to the diff and the tubes are ok 🤞🏼 Thankfully the cover bolt still came out without binding up and breaking!

I have some of these gear oil bags from Amsoil and now just pour oil from bottles into them when needed LOL they are amazing.
Once I realized the bolt was hanging up, I made sure to remove it last. I broke the RTV free on the cover and moved it around to help the bolt rotate out. Fortunately, that worked and without breaking anything.

Too funny that you've kept old bags. I think I may have to do that too :ROFLMAO:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it took a month to find the time but Cindy and I finally got a chance to make our way down to Hanford, CA and visit Disciple Offroad. And let me tell you, global warming made it what would have otherwise been a 5 hour drive into one that took the better part of the day. These are shots of just how deep the snow was coming up and over the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
20230326200512-20716e32.jpg

May I remind you, our Gladiator is riding on 42" tires and sits well over 7' tall.
20230326200806-cde4484f.jpg

This is one of the many snow machines we came across trying to widen things up.
20230326200516-33050f5a.jpg

Needless to say, the drive was slow going especially being that there were so many cars on the road who really had no business being on it. I think the worst part was that it was like driving in a channel with nowhere to pull over. These shots were taken at one of the few openings that we could find and as you can see, at a point where the snow was not so deep.
20230326200407-ac5ebe01.jpg

20230326200409-7f585440.jpg

It literally took us almost to the bottom of the western slope to finally find snow shallow enough to pull over and let Ripley out.
i.php

Finally! Down in the valley and definitely in California 🤪
20230326200523-cbcbd36e.jpg

After an awesome night of fun at the Cen-Cal Suds-n-Grub, we made our way down to Disciple Offroad to see what they can do to help us out.
20230326200443-e590d84c.jpg

I gotta say, it's always nice to see a shop that's so clean and organized.
20230326200445-70a1d49e.jpg

20230326200448-679db1b2.jpg

Racked up and ready for the doc to give JAWS a look.
20230326200525-99f58b70.jpg

20230326200322-8b76e0a9.jpg

After a thorough examination, Chad made the determination that the crack could be fixed and got started with some drilling to help ensure it wouldn't spread.
20230326200325-180a94ae.jpg

The crack was then cut out with a grinder.
20230326200328-7fc07b11.jpg

20230326200331-af1e2696.jpg

A LOT of cleaning and re-cleaning was done before the area in need of fixing was heated up and checked with a temp gauge.
20230326200334-8ba3890f.jpg

Finally, the repair could finally be made.
20230326200337-9f35e748.jpg

Again, this was before...
20230224200327-8e031d11.jpg

And this is after - good as new!
20230326200340-832e526d.jpg

A SUPER BIG THANKS needs to go out to Jeremy and Chad over at Disciple Offroad for opening up the shop for us on a Saturday and for helping us to get our Gladiator fixed up. They were extremely professional and very detail oriented in everything they did. If you live in the Central California area or are willing to make the drive, I would highly recommend their services. (y)
20230326200456-001a115e.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great Snow pics! And very cool Jeremy was able to get ya fixed up!
Thanks! The snow was unreal and Jeremy was awesome. I honestly would recommend him to anyone in need.
That snow! 😳 Did you take 88?
Yeah and I should note, we almost didn't being that it had been closed for quite some time and it was snowing that morning. In fact, there was a pretty good wreck along the way that we passed soon after it happened. All the way down, we saw emergency crews going up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was just thinking that was 88, pretty wild, I went over the pass on 80 a few days ago and it was pretty similar, not as dramatic as the road is wider
Oh yeah, 80 is nuts too but I think you're right about the 88 being so much narrower. The perspective made everything feel like you were going to be crushed at any moment from an avalanche. I've been skiing/snowboarding up in the Tahoe area since I was a kid and never in my life have I seen it this crazy deep!
Awesome to see they were able to fix it too!
They were awesome!

Great pics! The walls of snow make your JT look like a toy! Pretty awesome but I bet it’s going to be a dangerous mess as those walls melt.

Interesting how Chad drilled out the cracks, pretty ingenious idea.

benatc1

Hooked
Oh yeah, 80 is nuts too but I think you're right about the 88 being so much narrower. The perspective made everything feel like you were going to be crushed at any moment from an avalanche. I've been skiing/snowboarding up in the Tahoe area since I was a kid and never in my life have I seen it this crazy deep!

They were awesome!
Yea it’s pretty wild, I got another 4 inches at my house last night, busily gone today but ever time I think we’re done, it keeps coming. Hopefully soon!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great pics! The walls of snow make your JT look like a toy! Pretty awesome but I bet it’s going to be a dangerous mess as those walls melt.
Not gonna lie, it was spooky especially when there are signs along the way that state in BIG BOLD RED LETTERS - "Avalanche Area". And, someone actually took the time to clear the snow that covered them just so you could see it. :oops:
Yea it’s pretty wild, I got another 4 inches at my house last night, busily gone today but ever time I think we’re done, it keeps coming. Hopefully soon!
LOL - that's awesome. I think we only got an inch at most. I was watching the local news last night and they were saying the snow was a surprise - as in, they weren't expecting it. They also said we've been below average in our temps since before December and most of that was by 10° or more. 🤪

Holy cow the snow! That's insane and good thing global warming is keeping it in check for us 🙄

Lol, glad you could get it fixed by an awesome crew! Can't wait to see Jaws in action again.

CalSgt

Hooked
I guess the good news is that maybe the crack in the webbing was from a hard hit to the diff and the tubes are ok 🤞🏼 Thankfully the cover bolt still came out without binding up and breaking!

I have some of these gear oil bags from Amsoil and now just pour oil from bottles into them when needed LOL they are amazing.
That's a great idea... I shopped for Amsoil a while back just figuring the bags would make for a compact fluid kit to take on wheeling trips but I didn't want to spend that kind of money for emergency oils. Odds are if your using fluids on the trail they will leak out or be getting drained after the trip to make repairs so I carry cheap stuff. Shoot another reason to pack cheap stuff would be I've given my emergency fluids to others more than I've needed for myself.

Top Bottom