Mission Control... We Have a Problem

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That’s what I thought too. This is the front correct? I thought I saw a tie rod in there but everyone kept saying 80 so made me second guess myself.

Also isn’t the 80 the same cast housing just slightly bigger? It’s not necessarily stronger at the pumpkin right?
Yes, the crack is on the front axle. Not 100% sure about all the details on the 80 but it would have a bigger ring and pinion (the main reason to want it) and therefore, the differential housing would be bigger just like the PR80 but who's to say if or how much stronger it would be.

JimLee

Hooked
LOL - actually, having run both a PR60 and an XD60, I can say that I like the PR60 better especially being that you can install an EVO high steer kit on it.

Of course, we've never run either as hard and fast as we have this UD60.
I know you have alot of experience with Dynatrac axles, first thing I noticed from your pics is how much more material a Dynatrac dif has in the lip around the webbing. They say it's for added strength, I'll never put it to the test like you, but it certainly looks beefier than the UD in that whole area. Pictures can be deceiving though and it could be that the UD has just as much material there and I just can't see it as good in the pics.

Last edited:
Man such a bummer and definitely a moment of just feeling your heart just sink to your gut. But as you said hopefully you caught it early enough to make the repair to stop it from going further. From the looks of it, it didn't get very far but definitely worried about a possible bent tube.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know you have alot of experience with Dynatrac axles, first thing I noticed from your pics is how much more material a Dynatrac dif has in the lip around the webbing. They say it's for added strength, I'll never put it to the test like you, but it certainly looks beefier than the UD in that whole area. Pictures can be deceiving though and it could be that the UD has just as much material there and I just can't see it as good in the pics.
ProRocks are great axles and there definitely is engineering that went into making them stronger. But, anything can break. Mel has completely destroyed an XD60 and even a PR80 while racing but then, that's racing. Either way, I personally love the ProRocks that I have on Moby and have been happy to test out these UD60s. And, I think it's safe to say that I've found a weak spot LOL

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Man such a bummer and definitely a moment of just feeling your heart just sink to your gut. But as you said hopefully you caught it early enough to make the repair to stop it from going further. From the looks of it, it didn't get very far but definitely worried about a possible bent tube.
Yeah, it really does suck. We finally get this thing back after not having it for half a year, start making well needed repairs and just when we thought we'd be able to take it out and play again - I find this :(

If it can be fixed, I really am hoping that you can be of assistance. As far as bent tubes go, I think there is a possibility of that but oddly enough, on the driver side. At least, I feel like there's a bit of camber on the driver side wheel. :rolleyes:

benatc1

Hooked
ProRocks are great axles and there definitely is engineering that went into making them stronger. But, anything can break. Mel has completely destroyed an XD60 and even a PR80 while racing but then, that's racing. Either way, I personally love the ProRocks that I have on Moby and have been happy to test out these UD60s. And, I think it's safe to say that I've found a weak spot LOL
Definitely a weak spot, for what YOU did to them, but I hope the majority of people don’t see this and think it will happen to them if they have UD60s, Because I’m sure it’s highly unlikely. While there is a small percentage of people who will build their Jeep like Jaws and actually do 60mph over massive whoops, the vast majority never will.

Yeah, it really does suck. We finally get this thing back after not having it for half a year, start making well needed repairs and just when we thought we'd be able to take it out and play again - I find this :(

If it can be fixed, I really am hoping that you can be of assistance. As far as bent tubes go, I think there is a possibility of that but oddly enough, on the driver side. At least, I feel like there's a bit of camber on the driver side wheel. :rolleyes:
If it didn't go all the way to the diff housing itself, can definitely repair it. A bent tube not so much LOL

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely a weak spot, for what YOU did to them, but I hope the majority of people don’t see this and think it will happen to them if they have UD60s, Because I’m sure it’s highly unlikely. While there is a small percentage of people who will build their Jeep like Jaws and actually do 60mph over massive whoops, the vast majority never will.
This ^^^^ 100%

I seriously doubt that this would of happened even to us had we not installed trailing arms that allowed us to go so much faster and over really big shit.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If it didn't go all the way to the diff housing itself, can definitely repair it. A bent tube not so much LOL
LOL - nope, no fixing that. But, if there is a bend, it's not bad enough to really be a problem or at least, not as of yet. Certainly, I'm not seeing any seal leaks or anything like that. Either way, my main goal is to get this thing back out on the trail, even if things aren't perfect. :)

JimLee

Hooked
How about a shaved 14 bolt with no cast iron that can crack under stress? You know you are going to run that thing like a trophy truck anyway.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How about a shaved 14 bolt with no cast iron that can crack under stress? You know you are going to run that thing like a trophy truck anyway.
LOL - it'd be hard enough to start over with an axle that I know I can get brackets for. I would really hate to go down the path of total custom/fabricated brackets.

Top Bottom