MENACING MICE Messing EVERYTHING Up

jamesrw30

I'm so glad I found this thread. I don't have problems in my vehicles but definitely do under my house. I've got some traps and poison station out but still hear them. So now this walk the plank trap and the Grandpa Gus's have my attention. Would both of these be effective in my crawl space? We were going to bed one night and I heard something out back. After a few seconds I heard that my Lab/Catahoula had gotten hold of one. I heard loud screeching, crunch, screech, crunch then silence. That particular mouse did not go quietly into the night.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Those rodents can drive you crazy. I live in a country/ woody area in Northern CA. I have to park my Mercedes Van outside. I first noticed them because they where eating the insulatation around the Air cleaner area. I then started to set 5 traps under the hood with peanut butter.
I was happy to see my success rate. Sometimes I would catch 2 overnight.

One time we headed from home in N. CA to our place in Spokane, WA area. I did not check the Van hood area before we left. The next day in the garage I noticed some activity. We park the van inside the garage. We have never, ever had any issues. So I opened the hood and he or she had been there hanging on from CA, thru OR to WA. That's a 17 hour drive.

I set 12 traps in the garage two days later got him.
Wow, 17 hour drive?! LOL 🤪

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm so glad I found this thread. I don't have problems in my vehicles but definitely do under my house. I've got some traps and poison station out but still hear them. So now this walk the plank trap and the Grandpa Gus's have my attention. Would both of these be effective in my crawl space? We were going to bed one night and I heard something out back. After a few seconds I heard that my Lab/Catahoula had gotten hold of one. I heard loud screeching, crunch, screech, crunch then silence. That particular mouse did not go quietly into the night.
I should note that we researched a lot of the walk the planks and not all are the same. The mice we have are really really small and light and some of the planks can't be set light enough. We went with this one as it can be adjusted and it worked well for us.

jamesrw30

I should note that we researched a lot of the walk the planks and not all are the same. The mice we have are really really small and light and some of the planks can't be set light enough. We went with this one as it can be adjusted and it worked well for us.

Good to know, thank you. I have seen varying sizes. Some are small but I've also seen at least one that looks just like the small ones but just larger. One was drowned in the dogs water bucket one day. I think they are stealing dog food as we seem to be going through it quickly. May try the walk the plank first and see what I catch.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good to know, thank you. I have seen varying sizes. Some are small but I've also seen at least one that looks just like the small ones but just larger. One was drowned in the dogs water bucket one day. I think they are stealing dog food as we seem to be going through it quickly. May try the walk the plank first and see what I catch.
The big ones is no problem. It's the really small ones that can be hard to dunk so you should be good with it.

Jeeptime

Wow, 17 hour drive?! LOL 🤪
We where going to stop and stay overnight in Chiloquin, OR but it was 12 degrees. So put the pedal to the metal. Man I was tired for two days after that run. But the traffic was sure good between 9 PM and 1 AM, nobody parking in the left lane. ;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For the love of fricken god!! So - the mice problem in our shop in Edge of Pizen is taken care of but today, I went to use the tractor and saw that the dash lights were lit up. And, after Cindy noticed what looked like some polyfill insulation sticking out of the e-brake lever, I pulled apart the dash and found this.
IMG_9176.JPG

Mother fricken mice had built a nest and ate through the insulation on the dash wiring harness!! :mad:

WJCO

Meme King
For the love of fricken god!! So - the mice problem in our shop in Edge of Pizen is taken care of but today, I went to use the tractor and saw that the dash lights were lit up. And, after Cindy noticed what looked like some polyfill insulation sticking out of the e-brake lever, I pulled apart the dash and found this.
View attachment 399780

Mother fricken mice had built a nest and ate through the insulation on the dash wiring harness!! :mad:
What a pain. Bunch of fuckers.

pop2tu

I read an article a couple of years ago. This article talked about many auto manufactures were using wires that were “green” meaning the insulation was made from a soy byproduct. They hinted at the possibility that mice might be attracted more to wiring made with soy. IDK but has me wondering as I have heard of mice causing more damage in the last five years or so

View attachment 399780

Damn, that sucks… sorry!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I read an article a couple of years ago. This article talked about many auto manufactures were using wires that were “green” meaning the insulation was made from a soy byproduct. They hinted at the possibility that mice might be attracted more to wiring made with soy. IDK but has me wondering as I have heard of mice causing more damage in the last five years or so
Yup. It’s true.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
View attachment 399780

That sucks. You guys aren’t around enough to have cats either.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That sucks. You guys aren’t around enough to have cats either.
This is the real problem.
Get a cat, my neighbor cats hang out in Jeep shed, those fuckers murder everything around.
If they are hungry they will find something to eat, or get a feeder
We've been looking into it. The local shelter even has ads about feral cats that are available for adoption and are perfect for rodent control. I think in the summer time, this would work well but be tough in the winter, especially providing food and water.

Top Bottom