LOD Destroyer sliders, save your money

CalSgt

Hooked
I never noticed anything about them being "Light Duty" when I got them in 2018... They're holding up just fine, and the dents in the body are only about 3/4" deep 😬

My biggest complaint is the powder coating, you can see here it was just flaking off after the first wheeling trip that they were needed on. Got them for Christmas 2018 & this was April 2019.

tempImageIQs0hO.jpg
tempImageLOvIMp.jpg

It seems like any sliders designed as steps will have a disadvantage that they will absorb (rather than deflect) the hit. It then becomes a value judgement as to if the step is necessary. In my case, it seems to be necessary. 😞

Rusty's has what appears to be a stronger slider step, but it is also kind of ugly and the connection points to the frame will still see a lot of stress. Also, the mounting does not seem to take advantage of existing holes, necessitating drilling 8 holes in the frame on each side. The brackets to the frame do not look stronger than LOD's.

So I am thinking that I will buy LOD Destroyer sliders for my 2-door anyway.

I never noticed anything about them being "Light Duty" when I got them in 2018... They're holding up just fine, and the dents in the body are only about 3/4" deep 😬

My biggest complaint is the powder coating, you can see here it was just flaking off after the first wheeling trip that they were needed on. Got them for Christmas 2018 & this was April 2019.

View attachment 385889
View attachment 385890

LOL! Now I see why you made your own. That was you right?

CalSgt

Hooked
It seems like any sliders designed as steps will have a disadvantage that they will absorb (rather than deflect) the hit. It then becomes a value judgement as to if the step is necessary. In my case, it seems to be necessary. 😞

Rusty's has what appears to be a stronger slider step, but it is also kind of ugly and the connection points to the frame will still see a lot of stress. Also, the mounting does not seem to take advantage of existing holes, necessitating drilling 8 holes in the frame on each side. The brackets to the frame do not look stronger than LOD's.

So I am thinking that I will buy LOD Destroyer sliders for my 2-door anyway.

Steps will always take more hits because they stick out more, doesn't mean a decent step slider cant be made. I've beat the piss out of these ones and they're holding up as good as could be expected
IMG_5814.jpg

DMF

View attachment 385889
View attachment 385890
I saw your post back then but only after I bought mine already and I never saw the medium duty either on their website back then. But to be fair, if my slider looks like yours and all I got were a little ding like that, I would be happy.

ScoobyCarolanNC

I thought these could take a little impact, but I was wrong. The Jeep is stock and the drop couldn't have been more than a few inches.
I destroyed a set of the LOD Armor Lite aluminum sliders on the Rubicon last summer. Now have the Destroyers (same mounting brackets so it was an easy swap) but both are simply too close to the rocker panels and if they flex at all they will hit. I believe LOD has started using thicker shims to help with that but its definitely a design issue.

Thanks for posting these. I was under the impression they were way better designed. It seemed like the JK ones were perfect and damn near indestructible. EVO it is....

Reactions: DMF

t0uf

Oof, thanks for your sacrifice. I've been on the fence about buying these for a while. I got a sneak peek at the sliders that Rebel Offroad was working on last year, and that was the only thing that gave me pause and convinced me to wait. Since I have no clue when or if those will actually be made available, I was revisiting these. Looks like it's going to be a hard pass for me.

CalSgt

Hooked
Thanks for posting these. I was under the impression they were way better designed. It seemed like the JK ones were perfect and damn near indestructible. EVO it is....
Oof, thanks for your sacrifice. I've been on the fence about buying these for a while. I got a sneak peek at the sliders that Rebel Offroad was working on last year, and that was the only thing that gave me pause and convinced me to wait. Since I have no clue when or if those will actually be made available, I was revisiting these. Looks like it's going to be a hard pass for me.

Full disclosure I was pretty rough on mine, for medium duty stuff or “just in case” Insurance they would be fine.

Top Bottom