Lift kit for my Tj that won't break the bank.

BradsTj

Hey guys I am trying to find the best deal for my Jeep Tj Sport. I want to run 33 inch tires and that's the biggest im going to go as this is my daily driver. I found a Teraflex 3" lift kit for about 860 online and it comes with shocks. Would this be a good buy? Or should I look else where? It doesn't have to be Teraflex, just a good solid lift kit.
Preferably don't want to go over 900 bucks for the lift...

I also have the 3.7.3 gears in my Jeep if that helps any.

Thanks in advance for taking a look at my post.

JakeJK

Hey guys I am trying to find the best deal for my Jeep Tj Sport. I want to run 33 inch tires and that's the biggest im going to go as this is my daily driver. I found a Teraflex 3" lift kit for about 860 online and it comes with shocks. Would this be a good buy? Or should I look else where? It doesn't have to be Teraflex, just a good solid lift kit.

Teraflex :(

I'd check out rancho

I'd get this with some rancho 5000 shocks or 9000xl but the 9000s will put you over your budget

http://www.gorancho.com/products/su...rangler-tj-lj-2-5-in-sport-system-rs6503.html

Last edited:

radleyhardy

Or go this route :

JKS 1.25" Body Lift
Rokmen 1" Motor Mount Lift
Rokmen Steering Box Skid
Spidertrax Wheel Spacers

Super cheap route, gives you clearance, and money left over in the bank. Find some take off JK stiff springs, and you'll be good to ROCK!

zchurch

I'm a fan of rough country. I've had friends have them and they do well with a ride and are great on the wallet. I just seen one on their site for $370 and it's a 3.25 inch suspension lift and recommends 33in tires. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440019948.020058.jpg

BradsTj

I'm a fan of rough country. I've had friends have them and they do well with a ride and are great on the wallet. I just seen one on their site for $370 and it's a 3.25 inch suspension lift and recommends 33in tires. View attachment 160801

I've read a lot of people say those lift kits usually start to fall apart or sag after a couple years. Not sure if that's true or people just hating, how have they held up for your buddies? I know you said they're a well ride. And thanks guys for the other posts as well.

radleyhardy

I wouldn't do the fixed arms at all.

If you do the motor mount/body lift setup it gives you clearance for the tires, and if you ever want to add a suspension lift later on, you aren't doing double the work.

JakeJK

I've read a lot of people say those lift kits usually start to fall apart or sag after a couple years. Not sure if that's true or people just hating, how have they held up for your buddies? I know you said they're a well ride. And thanks guys for the other posts as well.

They also ride how they sound. Rough

Black Beaver

On my old TJ I had 2" pucks. It seemed to do the trick for me. These are BFG KO 32x12.50 15s. If you added a 1" body lift to that you could fit 33s. I've heard good things about old man emu for the TJ, they are kinda pricey though.
jeep1.jpg

Yorkie

I have the 3.5 quadratic lift. If you just want to clear 33 inch tires, go with the 2-2.5 inch route because this lift is really tall. I needed to buy a slipyoke eliminator and the rear upper adjustable arms and still need to buy the new track bars. But the lift is not so bad for the money, once it breaks in the ride isn't the absolute worst, but definitely getting what you paid for.

BradsTj

I have the 3.5 quadratic lift. If you just want to clear 33 inch tires, go with the 2-2.5 inch route because this lift is really tall. I needed to buy a slipyoke eliminator and the rear upper adjustable arms and still need to buy the new track bars. But the lift is not so bad for the money, once it breaks in the ride isn't the absolute worst, but definitely getting what you paid for.

Would you recommend it? My Jeep is my daily driver.

Yorkie

Would you recommend it? My Jeep is my daily driver.

I would recommend it. But I would go for the 2 or 2.5 inch I forget which one they offer and if that's not enough clearance go for a cheap BL to get the clearance. The TC drop that came with the 3.5 wasn't enough for the vibes to get away from the pinion angle (which I'm still dealing with). Go for the 2/2.5 inch and go from there

Whiskey River

We've got a Terra Flex 2" budget boost with a JKS 1.25" body lift, Terra Flex shocks and did the MML to help align things and all has been doing well over the past year. Also cut the fender into flats to help clear the 33" tires just a bit. Plus I just like the look better. It's my wife's daily driver and does fine. Plus more than capable for her as she is learning off-road.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440048325.159878.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440048404.251923.jpg

Yorkie

We've got a Terra Flex 2" budget boost with a JKS 1.25" body lift, Terra Flex shocks and did the MML to help align things and all has been doing well over the past year. Also cut the fender into flats to help clear the 33" tires just a bit. Plus I just like the look better. It's my wife's daily driver and does fine. Plus more than capable for her as she is learning off-road.
View attachment 160844
View attachment 160845

Wow...think I'm gonna go cut my fenders cause that looks awesome

David1tontj

Wow...think I'm gonna go cut my fenders cause that looks awesome

X2 on that looking awesome!

If you decide to cut them, remember that you need to get different turn signals. If you pick up some jk turn signals from a junkyard (got mine for $25ea), your factory wiring harness and bulb will twist right into the jk housing. Simple. All you need is I think a 3-1/8" hole saw to cut out for the new jk housing. The wires on mine were long enough that I didn't have to mess with them.

Yorkie

X2 on that looking awesome!

If you decide to cut them, remember that you need to get different turn signals. If you pick up some jk turn signals from a junkyard (got mine for $25ea), your factory wiring harness and bulb will twist right into the jk housing. Simple. All you need is I think a 3-1/8" hole saw to cut out for the new jk housing. The wires on mine were long enough that I didn't have to mess with them.

Debating on keeping my painted fenders that came with my jeep and cutting them or picking up a cheap black plastic pair online and using those. And the turn sing signal seems like an easy enough project to make these cut fenders a reality

Moabbnd

If you want to run 33s and not have to drop the tcase, look into 2-2.5" lifts with 1-1.25" body lifts and 1" motor mount lift. This'll help your driveline angles.

My last TJ, I ran the RC 2.5" progressive coils with Old Man Emu shocks, an adjustable front track bar, and a trackbar bracket in the rear to even the axles. The coils were decent, but sat higher in the rear and sagged quite a bit with a bumper and winch on the front. Look into OME coils with OME shocks, Bilstein 5100 shocks, or Fox shocks through Savvy offroad. This combo will give you enough clearance for 33s, and 35s if you want flat fenders. The ride will be much better than rancho, teraflex, quadratec, and rough country kits.

Don't cheap out on your setup, it'll come back to bite you in the future

zchurch

T ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440982212.417966.jpg

This is my buddies Cherokee with the RC 4.5 lift and it's been on for about 6 months so far and he has wheeled it hard and it's holding up good. A lot of people in my area have similar and none really have any problems. The worst I've herd is the add a leafs are real bad for sagging so go with all new springs. And yes they do ride rough.

Top Bottom