JL Wrangler REAR POWER OUTLET - Battery Powered at all Times WRITE-UP

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Jeep JL Wranglers that come equipped with a rear subwoofer come with two 12- Volt (13 Amp) auxiliary outlets. These outlets provide electrical power for accessories such as phone chargers, inverters, refrigerators or anything that plugs into a standard cigar lighter. The first outlet is located up front, on the center stack of the dash and just below the climate controls. This outlet receives power only when the ignition switch to the ON or ACC position.

20171016131621-eb3b1e70.jpg

The second outlet is located in the rear cargo area and is powered directly from the battery BUT if you want it to always be hot, you will need to make sure that its fuse is placed in the correct bank. Just as is the case with the outlet up front, the default position for the rear will require you to have the ignition switch in the ON or ACC position in order to receive power.

Instructions
1. To make your rear power outlet always have power, you will need to open up your Jeep's hood, open the lid on your Power Distribution Center or fuse box and then use the diagram on the lid to located bank F81 and F91.

2. Using the fuse tool inside your fuse box, pull the yellow 20A fuse in bank F91 and then insert it into the bank next to it, F81 as shown in the image below.

20171016131620-f3cc2014.jpg

1 — F81 Fuse 20A Yellow Rear Power Outlet (battery powered at all times)
2 — F91 Fuse 20A Yellow Rear Power Outlet (powered when the ignition switch is in the ON or ACC position)​

3. Replace your fuse tool, close the lid on your fuse box as well as your hood.

You should now have constant power on your rear power outlet, even when your key is not in the ignition switch and this is something you need to have especially if you're running an ARB Fridge Freeze or the like. NOTE: DO NOT exceed 160 Watts (13 Amps) at 12 Volts as that is the maximum amount of power this outlet is designed for.

I hope you found this write-up helpful :cool:

Green Goblin

Jeep JL Wranglers that come equipped with a rear subwoofer come with two 12- Volt (13 Amp) auxiliary outlets. These outlets provide electrical power for accessories such as phone chargers, inverters, refrigerators or anything that plugs into a standard cigar lighter. The first outlet is located up front, on the center stack of the dash and just below the climate controls. This outlet receives power only when the ignition switch to the ON or ACC position.

The second outlet is located in the rear cargo area and is powered directly from the battery BUT if you want it to always be hot, you will need to make sure that its fuse is placed in the correct bank. Just as is the case with the outlet up front, the default position for the rear will require you to have the ignition switch in the ON or ACC position in order to receive power.

Instructions
1. To make your rear power outlet always have power, you will need to open up your Jeep's hood, open the lid on your Power Distribution Center or fuse box and then use the diagram on the lid to located bank F81 and F91.

2. Using the fuse tool inside your fuse box, pull the yellow 20A fuse in bank F91 and then insert it into the bank next to it, F81 as shown in the image below.

2 — F91 Fuse 20A Yellow Rear Power Outlet (powered when the ignition switch is in the ON or ACC position)​

You should now have constant power on your rear power outlet, even when your key is not in the ignition switch and this is something you need to have especially if you're running an ARB Fridge Freeze or the like. NOTE: DO NOT exceed 160 Watts (13 Amps) at 12 Volts as that is the maximum amount of power this outlet is designed for.

Hi Eddie,

Great site and enjoy your videos.

Secondly, I have some new info that I was doing on this very same mod. If I may, I would like to post my results of doing this mod as it is a bit different from your post above...........

I was doing this mod today by adding a new rear cargo LED light to the rear window and tapped it to the rear power outlet and then wanted to change my rear power outlet to be hot all the time and not just when the ignition is on. So I just wanted to help share and clarify on this topic. After reading these posts and looking at the fuse box, I noticed a few interesting things that maybe were not as clear as they could be. So allow me to add this bit of info for those of you that want the rear power outlet modified to be on all the time or only when the ignition is on............

What was said by Rhineback01 in his post is correct, the manual IS in fact incorrect. Pulling the F81 or F82 fuse has absolutely nothing to do with the rear power outlet (RPO), so disregard those instructions as written in your owners manual. ( a big thanks to Rhineback01 for the step by step on this.)

What I did manage to find that was not discussed with enough clarity was that the 20 amp yellow fuse for the RPO in the fuse box is the main difference by itself, not with the F45 fuse. Moving or switching places with the F43 to F45 or vice versa isn't quite accurate but was on the right track. Allow me to explain.........

I took a light and looked directly down at ONLY the F43 slot inside the fuse box and noticed that there were THREE slots for that fuse portal that the yellow 20 amp fuse can go in. The center slot is the common ground while the slots on either side of the center slot were the constant hot or the other slot was for the ignition only. The F43 slot that holds the yellow 20 amp fuse can be inserted in either position within that F43 position/slot in the fuse box. If you insert the yellow 20 amp fuse into the first 2 slots starting on the passenger side and center, the RPO will only work when the ignition is on. OR, if you wish to have the RPO hot all the time, then simply insert the yellow 20 amp fuse to the center and drivers side of the 3 slots and you'll have your RPO hot all the time. The F45 fuse was never involved in my mod adjustment. I did check the F45 fuse just to be sure it wasn't blown then placed it right back where it came out of. Once I moved the fuse over to the driver side in that same socket/pin position, I have the RPO hot all the time. Hope this help you ! Enjoy.

Last edited:

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
So does the JK have this option. I have the back outlet but haven’t checked to see if it’s hot all the time or just with the ignition on.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Labricon

Caught the Bug
In my JK both the rear cargo area and the center console outlets are always hot. I use the console one for my ARB fridge and the rear one for a wireless tow light when flat towing my Jeep

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Trail Bud

Hooked

Instructions

2 — F91 Fuse 20A Yellow Rear Power Outlet (powered when the ignition switch is in the ON or ACC position)

My fuse diagram is different. See the pic.
the fuses are different types. I have a 2023, now what?
6AB99B41-DBD2-4295-9E45-4FC01692EED3.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom