JL JOURNAL : EVO JL Coilover Suspension Installation - S#!T JUST GOT REAL / PART 2

benatc1

Hooked
Great video, thanks for sharing! Actually a bit more work on the install than I expected. When the time comes I may just make the trip to ORE cause they are so damn dialed with everything. They look awesome and I'm sure perform even better. Looking fwd to many great vids and seeing them in person!

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I got my evo long arm coil over about a month ago. installed it myself. Got a kick out of watching the pros do it. They make it look so easy. It's really scary cutting off all the factory suspension on a brand new JL with less than 100 miles on it....

I was a little worried at first that maybe I over did it with this suspension but so far I am way impressed. Only had it out wheelin once, can't wait to see what it is capable of on some serious trails. Going to moab in a few weeks!

Cool story... someone may actually give a fuck if you introduced yourself instead.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Love it Man! Mel & Crew have that shit down to a science and it sure is fun to watch them at work. Congrats to You & Cindy on the new lift. That Flex is is a beautiful thing! :beer:

YDAJC

After running Metal cloak for a year I stepped up to an EVO long Arm and King Coil-overs... I have to agree the ride is amazing on road and the performance off road is exceptional. The geometry is as such that I can climb things that other rigs have trouble with or just can't make.

Nice write up sir.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I don’t think jet is flexing hard enough. Take it back to evo since you don’t know how to fix the limit flex issue ;)

Looks great guys! Looks like it rides amazing!

MericaMade

I see the control arm relocation brackets are bolted-on then weld it. Could you run it with just the bolts?

For example, if i installed in my garage would the bolts on the control arm mounts be strong enough to drive it down to a local welding shop?

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

pop2tu

What a great video. So want coil-overs and long arms. All these videos are truly dangerous to my bank account! Thanks for sharing with us. Really appreciate everything you two do for us.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheGrendel

ugh. i need to stop watching these videos. makes me want more and more and more. lol.

Eddie, how would you say this compares to the double throw down on the JKs as far as flex and ride?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What a way to end a Monday. Jet looks amazing and the smiles on your faces tell it all. Mel truly has a great eye for this stuff. Can’t wait to see it in action

Awesome! Glad we could help end your Monday well :)

Couldn’t agree more great video

So glad you enjoyed it :)

I’m just, well, drooling. That is all. Great video as always! [emoji1303]

LOL - thank you :)

So incredibly awesome! Since it’s my birthday today maybe I’ll ask my wife to allow me to get this :) doesn’t hurt to ask right?

Never hurts to ask :D

Loved to see the way Mel dials the suspension in, absolute genius! That flex is truly unbelievable. Congrats guys, Jet is awesome!

Thank you. Hard to believe how much flex you can get out of a suspension system that rides so well on pavement. Back in the day, you could only get one or the other. :crazyeyes:

Another great one guys!

I’m jealous that suspension looks incredible.

Thank you, the suspension is awesome for sure!

:cheesy:

My Eddie, what long arms you have.

It’s badass getting to see the evolution of Jet from his first day home up until recent!!!

:cheesy: Too funny and I'm glad to hear you've been enjoying watching the evolution :)

That's pretty damn nice, I've been eyeing that setup since Mel teased it way back on flag JL

What's the maintenance cycle on coil overs and is it DIY?

One of the reasons I got rid of my Kings on my JK was because there were no shops nearby to have them serviced at that gave me confidence in their abilities to do it properly, the cost of shipping them back to King was stupid high and i'd have to buy new shocks while I waiting for them to get shipped back. I ended up selling them and replacing them with Rancho...

When the Kings were new, the DD ride was fantastic and made dirt roads so much more fun to drive ...fast and faster! but they sucked ass once they needed maintenance.

After running short arm kits, I'm leaning more to long arms for the ride but still up in the air on what to do about shocks :thinking:

Stop making videos that confuse my decision making process more!!! :cheesy:

It really depends on how hard you play and how often. Bombing across the desert will speed things up way more than rock crawling could ever hope to. Servicing them can be done in your garage but you would need to be able to raise your Jeep high enough to let your axle come to a full droop AND you would need the equipment to do it yourself. While not required, I would highly recommend you get the super expensive clamps that King makes as well. Cost of everything would be about $1500 and then there's the oil, seals and nitrogen you'll need to get as well. In truth, it's almost easier to just have someone else do it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video! The most exciting part of the build are those coilovers! I was so excited to get mine that I slept next to them! Lol no joke and no shame I was that excited! 🤷🏻*♀️. Congratulations! Can’t wait to see you flex that bad boy in person. Good info from Mel in the video on adjusting to your suspension needs. In fact for the “do it yourself” installer that’s super valuable information. Nice job! [emoji1303]

Thanks Rachel, no shame in my eyes and I hope we get to see you out on the trail soon. Glad the cycling info was helpful to you too :thumb:

Wow, not much more to say than that! Jet is really going to be able to stretch his legs now!

So excited for that for sure :)

Pretty impressive kit! Would look great on a gladiator!

Tell me about it. Hoping this is something we can do on ours sooner than later. :yup:

Congrats on the killer suspension! And thanks for taking us along for the install, first drives and bonus burnout!

LOL - glad you enjoyed the video :)

I got my evo long arm coil over about a month ago. installed it myself. Got a kick out of watching the pros do it in your video, they make it look so easy. It was really scary for me cutting off all the factory suspension on a brand new JL with less than 100 miles on it:eek:

I was a little worried at first that maybe I over did it with this suspension but so far I am way impressed. Only had it out wheelin once, can't wait to see what it is capable of on some serious trails. Going to moab in a few weeks!

Cool - I'm sure you'll love it out in Moab.

Love the setup. Superb on the pavement and big flex on the rocks. Early last year I was about to pull the trigger on 2.0 EVO bolt-ons for my 2014 JKUR... and then THIS video came along. My JLUR was ordered less than six weeks later. Coincidence?

LOL - the coilover kit for the JL is a lot nicer than the one for the JK. :yup:

I suddenly need coilovers. They come in the right color too.

:cheesy: Yes they do :crazyeyes:

Shit......nice setup Eddie. Happy to see you get them coilovers.

Thank you :)

Love your vids. Especially liked Mel's comment about the "fender whiners"! [emoji1787]

:cheesy: Well, he is right you know :crazyeyes:

jesse3638

Hooked
I still need to watch the last 6 mins. Was having internet issues but that set up is so awesome. I'd still love to go coil overs one day, but I think I'll focus on getting the 4" plush rides I've had for almost a year installed...haha. Thanks for sharing and putting together the video.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video, thanks for sharing! Actually a bit more work on the install than I expected. When the time comes I may just make the trip to ORE cause they are so damn dialed with everything. They look awesome and I'm sure perform even better. Looking fwd to many great vids and seeing them in person!

The coilover part isn't so bad and I think anyone can do it themselves. The long arms... man, I'm so glad that I had them do the welding. The JL frame is tougher to weld on and EVO did a killer job in spite of it.

Love it Man! Mel & Crew have that shit down to a science and it sure is fun to watch them at work. Congrats to You & Cindy on the new lift. That Flex is is a beautiful thing! :beer:

After running Metal cloak for a year I stepped up to an EVO long Arm and King Coil-overs... I have to agree the ride is amazing on road and the performance off road is exceptional. The geometry is as such that I can climb things that other rigs have trouble with or just can't make.

Nice write up sir.

Nice to hear from someone who's actually run both. I hear from a lot of Metalcloak fanboys who'll try to convince me that what they have is just as good if not better. :crazyeyes:

I don’t think jet is flexing hard enough. Take it back to evo since you don’t know how to fix the limit flex issue ;)

Looks great guys! Looks like it rides amazing!

LOL - it really is an amazing setup.

I see the control arm relocation brackets are bolted-on then weld it. Could you run it with just the bolts?

For example, if i installed in my garage would the bolts on the control arm mounts be strong enough to drive it down to a local welding shop?

The mounts are bolted on to ensure proper location. It is my understanding that you could drive to a shop with it and have it burned in but I would double check with EVO on this.

What a great video. So want coil-overs and long arms. All these videos are truly dangerous to my bank account! Thanks for sharing with us. Really appreciate everything you two do for us.

LOL - sorry about that :D

ugh. i need to stop watching these videos. makes me want more and more and more. lol.

Eddie, how would you say this compares to the double throw down on the JKs as far as flex and ride?

Honestly, on pavement ride seems to be at least as good the DTD on Moby if not the same. Off road, Moby still has the edge on big hits being that he's got bypass shocks in addition to coilovers. However, overall ride bombing across the desert feels similar. When it comes to flex, the JL coilovers offer an inch more travel so JET wins there.

benatc1

Hooked
The coilover part isn't so bad and I think anyone can do it themselves. The long arms... man, I'm so glad that I had them do the welding. The JL frame is tougher to weld on and EVO did a killer job in spite of it.

Nice to hear from someone who's actually run both. I hear from a lot of Metalcloak fanboys who'll try to convince me that what they have is just as good if not better. :crazyeyes:

LOL - it really is an amazing setup.

The mounts are bolted on to ensure proper location. It is my understanding that you could drive to a shop with it and have it burned in but I would double check with EVO on this.

LOL - sorry about that :D

Honestly, on pavement ride seems to be at least as good the DTD on Moby if not the same. Off road, Moby still has the edge on big hits being that he's got bypass shocks in addition to coilovers. However, overall ride bombing across the desert feels similar. When it comes to flex, the JL coilovers offer an inch more travel so JET wins there.
Yea they really did a great job. Granted, this will be down the road, but as long as I have a lift it might be worth tackling, that and learning to weld of course

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheGrendel

that is incredible.

jesse3638

Hooked
Eddie you've mentioned a couple times now that welding on the JL frame is more difficult. What is it that makes it harder? Metal composition, frame wall thickness, or just the location of the mounts? Sorry just curious..haha

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yea they really did a great job. Granted, this will be down the road, but as long as I have a lift it might be worth tackling, that and learning to weld of course

While it could be done without a lift, having one would make life a lot easier. Definitely something worth taking on for sure. :yup:

that is incredible.

Believe me, we were surprised. We suspected it would be better than the JK bolt on coilover kit but wasn't expecting it to be close to DTD performance. We'll have to punish it more to be able to say for sure on how it stacks up but so far, it's looking pretty good.

Another great video, as always...I remember driving Brute the first time after installing EVO long arms and coil overs/air bumps...the difference in flex was amazing...

Glad you enjoyed seeing this :)

Eddie you've mentioned a couple times now that welding on the JL frame is more difficult. What is it that makes it harder? Metal composition, frame wall thickness, or just the location of the mounts? Sorry just curious..haha

The steel appears to be porous and this makes it difficult to weld. We saw this at Savvy and at EVO. Fortunately, Tommy is an awesome welder and easily compensated for the trouble.

jesse3638

Hooked
The steel appears to be porous and this makes it difficult to weld. We saw this at Savvy and at EVO. Fortunately, Tommy is an awesome welder and easily compensated for the trouble.

I wonder if it's done intentionally for a weight thing. Saving grams of weight would add to thousandths potentially hundredths of MPG savings...haha

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if it's done intentionally for a weight thing. Saving grams of weight would add to thousandths potentially hundredths of MPG savings...haha

LOL - that would be super ingenious if it was done intentionally but I suspect, they just used a lower quality steel.

Top Bottom