Jeep Wrangler JK - fromt 33" to 37"

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Hi,

If started the 37" to 40" conversion. Thanks to Eddi I went "the right way" and cut a lot of my pinch seam and didnt move the axle back with the lower controll arms.

2d826b33-345c-4cb2-8crrj6o.jpg

To cover the foam I'm planing using flex seal. Hope I will get mine tomorrow.

The rear pinch seam I dont know how much I can cut because of the Gobi mount. I anyway planing to test drive it to see where the tires are rubbing. So maybe there isnt much cuting.

0a702b79-70d1-4f49-885cjz9.jpg

Until now the 2,5" AEV coils are in there. I planing to go with 3,5" AEV coils to get a little more up travel.

There is much work to do. I have to do a custom job on my AEV rear bumper to make them fit. I will go with the full wide, so it will be a lot of welding and not just cutting of a stubby one. Also there is custom work on the front to do. The bumper need to be widen to fit our rules.

Lg

Those look good, but man the front tires look close to your bumper. Does it rub at all? I have a similar bumper, I'd think you could shave some off the rear face and get rid of any interference. Good luck on your bad ass build!

Foley

Hi,

I found some time to work on the Jeep.

First there was some minor trimming on my AEV front bumper. That was the first attempt:

whatsappimage2020-08abk7g.jpeg

After the flext test I need to remove more. Me personally like the second attempt more than the first. Today I will do another, bigger flex and suspension test. I hope there is enough trimming.

8176f05c-429a-4e8f-9d51k0d.jpg

Also a lot of metall on the AEV Rear bumper need to go. I planed to use my sawzall so I did a little research on sawzall blades. It looked liked Milwaukee made the best blades. So I ordered one. As an US brand the Milwaukee sawzall blades are double the price of bosch or makita blades. But before the cutting went wrong, I like to spend more money on the sawzall blades.

whatsappimage2020-08v3j7f.jpeg

whatsappimage2020-08ihj2e.jpeg

whatsappimage2020-087oj0w.jpeg

The cutting turned out very good and I start to like "the tourch" by Milwaukee.

whatsappimage2020-08vnjjd.jpeg

At least, two flex fotos. Likely the first try:

whatsappimage2020-08jaklu.jpeg

whatsappimage2020-0866jhg.jpeg

Thanks for ready - To continued..

Lg

Andy5160

Hooked
Hi,

I found some time to work on the Jeep.

First there was some minor trimming on my AEV front bumper. That was the first attempt:

whatsappimage2020-08abk7g.jpeg

After the flext test I need to remove more. Me personally like the second attempt more than the first. Today I will do another, bigger flex and suspension test. I hope there is enough trimming.

8176f05c-429a-4e8f-9d51k0d.jpg

Also a lot of metall on the AEV Rear bumper need to go. I planed to use my sawzall so I did a little research on sawzall blades. It looked liked Milwaukee made the best blades. So I ordered one. As an US brand the Milwaukee sawzall blades are double the price of bosch or makita blades. But before the cutting went wrong, I like to spend more money on the sawzall blades.

whatsappimage2020-08v3j7f.jpeg

whatsappimage2020-08ihj2e.jpeg

whatsappimage2020-087oj0w.jpeg

The cutting turned out very good and I start to like "the tourch" by Milwaukee.

whatsappimage2020-08vnjjd.jpeg

At least, two flex fotos. Likely the first try:

whatsappimage2020-08jaklu.jpeg

whatsappimage2020-0866jhg.jpeg

Thanks for ready - To continued..

Lg

I like it [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Foley

Few shots from the flex test today. Unfortunately I have to cut on another few spots...

whatsappimage2020-086qjtq.jpeg

whatsappimage2020-08u9kq3.jpeg

whatsappimage2020-08wqk04.jpeg

Best regards & I like to know what you are thinking of the 40ty build so far!

Foley

Thank you guys. Next step is to upgrading the Axles... I wonder If a 60/60 combo is elevated?

The reason because I asking is that my Jeep have some upgrades and is chipped. So it have 580nm on the wheels (measured with 37"s). Some guys with 6.4 Hemis or 6.4 SRT Hemis run 60/80 combos. Beside the amount of money I'm concerns about the weight and clearance. Because thats why I went to 40" - to get more clearance under the axle. Also let me tell you that I'm not nearly as hard on the gas like "Lite Brite". Mostly because I have to pay for ALL my stuff :D

Or isnt is necessary to upgrade to bigger axle? Is an axleshaft and driveshaft upgrade enough? Or do some compromise like a upgraded 44 front and 60 rear?

The type of wheeling hier in Germany isn't rocky like moab or the rubicon trail. Sure, sometime there are some rocky parts but oftens its dirt/lose dirt and mud. So when we have to use the lockers I think there isn't so much stress like it would be in moab/rubicon trail.

I asking to prevent destroying my axle. I prefer to selling my working axle and get a good amount of money out of them before I break them.

So, I hope I can count on you with some tipps - like always ;)

best regard
Lg

wjtstudios

Hooked
Three options. Small, medium, and large with regards to budget

Order a set of Revolution chromoly shafts for the front and rear and gusset the front D44 and you should be good if you conservative on the pedal.

Getting a front dyntrac PR44 housing or full axle would be a step up from that. If you order just the housing and swap over all your current knuckles, hubs, locker, etc, you can save weight and cost. Or just order the full setup and sell off your current front to help fund the full PR44. Still need to get the rear Revolution shafts.

If you want to do it once and never worry about it again, order a Dynatrac or fusion 4x4 FF60 set and a set of bead locks and you are ready for anything.

Hope this helps

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Foley

Three options. Small, medium, and large with regards to budget

Order a set of Revolution chromoly shafts for the front and rear and gusset the front D44 and you should be good if you conservative on the pedal.

Getting a front dyntrac PR44 housing or full axle would be a step up from that. If you order just the housing and swap over all your current knuckles, hubs, locker, etc, you can save weight and cost. Or just order the full setup and sell off your current front to help fund the full PR44. Still need to get the rear Revolution shafts.

If you want to do it once and never worry about it again, order a Dynatrac or fusion 4x4 FF60 set and a set of bead locks and you are ready for anything.

Hope this helps

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Hi,

going with D60 axle would always mean going with full float? Otherwise, If the axle have the original bolt pattern I can keep my new beadlocks.

I never heard of Revolution. Are there axle shafts as good as RCVs? What do you think about Carbon Offroad?

Well, since I bought my Fusion4x4 2.5 ton steering I always dreaming about there axles. But importing them is so expensive. Therefore the axle is mostly half the price- I need to do some calculating. Maybe. So we are only getting Dynatrac, Spicer and Currier over hear.

Also you should know that my JK is quite heavy at the back. There are a set of ARB sliders, compressor and my whole forest equipment inside. So maybe its a good plane to just upgrade the rear to a Fusion 60 Semi Float axle?

Thank you and best regards
Lg

wjtstudios

Hooked
Hi,

going with D60 axle would always mean going with full float? Otherwise, If the axle have the original bolt pattern I can keep my new beadlocks.

I never heard of Revolution. Are there axle shafts as good as RCVs? What do you think about Carbon Offroad?

Well, since I bought my Fusion4x4 2.5 ton steering I always dreaming about there axles. But importing them is so expensive. Therefore the axle is mostly half the price- I need to do some calculating. Maybe. So we are only getting Dynatrac, Spicer and Currier over hear.

Also you should know that my JK is quite heavy at the back. There are a set of ARB sliders, compressor and my whole forest equipment inside. So maybe its a good plane to just upgrade the rear to a Fusion 60 Semi Float axle?

Lg

If you go to 60s then Definitely go to FF and get new bead locks

I had good luck with my RCVs, others haven’t. But they are expensive. Carbon and Revolution are equal. I ran Revolution and was happy with them and their lifetime warranty on bent flanges.

I’ve had three sets of fusions and loved the quality of all three. The 60/44 front SF 60 rear that I ran for years was great for 37s, just can’t handle 40s and playing hard. I did tweak a rear flange once. But it’s a Lot harder to do on the SF 60 rear than the Dana 44. It may be an option, but for a little more you can go to the FFs and they are another level above. I carry a ton of parts, tools, and a frig as well in the back. All the more reason to put a 60 back there. By the time you build out a 60/44 sf44 set you are with in a couple grand US on the FF set and that will take you a lot further

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Foley

Just a little update .. I installed the 3,5" springs, currier control arms in the rear and the metal cloak spring retainers ... I also clocked the rear axle, because I want to go with a beefier drive shaft. But I dont know witch brand to choose? I anyway have to order the drive shaft in the USA, so any company is possible. Most imported is that there is no vibration on higher speed. The next question is: 1310 or 1350? I wonder if the 1350 would fit with my second diesel tank ..

So like always: I would be very grateful for tips :beer:

11082080-b17b-4b1f-b1z9kh2.jpg

Now with the new 3,5" coils. The rear have also a spacer on top of the coils. Because there is now tire carrier and spare tire the rear sits higher than the front.

5ee70ce2-d373-470f-9bi5k76.jpg

Lg

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Hi,

Lg

I think I read bubba runs a 14 bolt which if I understand correctly has slightly better clearance but isn't quite as beefy as a D60. I'm pretty ignorant on this stuff still but you may want to check that out. If he can launch like he did in one of Eddie's vids (can't remember which one off the top of my head) and not break it I would bet it'll hold up to everything you can throw at it in a 2 door.

14 bolt appears to refer to the differential. Still may want to check them out. Could possibly build up a salvage axle.

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
I think I read bubba runs a 14 bolt which if I understand correctly has slightly better clearance but isn't quite as beefy as a D60. I'm pretty ignorant on this stuff still but you may want to check that out. If he can launch like he did in one of Eddie's vids (can't remember which one off the top of my head) and not break it I would bet it'll hold up to everything you can throw at it in a 2 door.

14 bolt appears to refer to the differential. Still may want to check them out. Could possibly build up a salvage axle.

The 14 bolt is more comparable to the D80 in strength but with better clearance when shaved to a 13 bolt.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Primo82

Caught the Bug
The 14 bolt is more comparable to the D80 in strength but with better clearance when shaved to a 13 bolt.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Looking into these now. I think I can build my own rear axle given time, I know there's a lot of work/money (other than just the used axle purchse) to get it up and running, so need to figure out how much I'll save and if that's worth my time. Front axle I'm planning on going with a Fusion 4x4 d60, those seem a lot more involved.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Looking into these now. I think I can build my own rear axle given time, I know there's a lot of work/money (other than just the used axle purchse) to get it up and running, so need to figure out how much I'll save and if that's worth my time. Front axle I'm planning on going with a Fusion 4x4 d60, those seem a lot more involved.

Agreed, the rear is simpler, but still a significant undertaking. But it’s a beast when it’s done [emoji106]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

JKbrick

Just a little update .. I installed the 3,5" springs, currier control arms in the rear and the metal cloak spring retainers ... I also clocked the rear axle, because I want to go with a beefier drive shaft. But I dont know witch brand to choose? I anyway have to order the drive shaft in the USA, so any company is possible. Most imported is that there is no vibration on higher speed. The next question is: 1310 or 1350? I wonder if the 1350 would fit with my second diesel tank ..

So like always: I would be very grateful for tips :beer:

11082080-b17b-4b1f-b1z9kh2.jpg

Now with the new 3,5" coils. The rear have also a spacer on top of the coils. Because there is now tire carrier and spare tire the rear sits higher than the front.

5ee70ce2-d373-470f-9bi5k76.jpg

Lg

How big is the spacer on top of your rear coil? With that angled thing on the bottom you basically have a top and bottom spacer. If you want to drop it to level take out the top one

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom