Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Daystar 1.5" Lift & 225/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT Pros PICS

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Well some manufacturers have an option of factory installed wheel spacers like Porsche because the bearings are designed to be abused on a track and can withstand the extra load. My question was if he had any noticeable negative side effects from the lift kit and spacers. Jeeps are renown for durability because it's a "Jeep" lol. Avoiding the negative side effects by the alignment and not going cheap on parts is a huge benefactor. Obviously losing some fuel mileage from added wind resistance and heavier tires making the motor work harder. The speedometer being off but it shouldn't be much by only going an inch or 2 larger with the tires. Probably around a 2 or 3 mph higher. Is his "renny" a daily commuter or just a weekend toy? Factors I personally think about before any aftermarket parts. I was inspired by his YouTube video where he was off roading with the Rubicon Jeeps. I'd love to get the daystar lift kit and spacers. I just wanted an opinion on daily use rather than just throwing stuff on without a personal review from someone who has already had the parts installed. Thinking about what is best for my renegade TH. This will be something I want to keep for years and not ruin by something that someone else regrets putting on their own Jeep. Understandable?

What in the hell did you just say ?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Well some manufacturers have an option of factory installed wheel spacers like Porsche because the bearings are designed to be abused on a track and can withstand the extra load. My question was if he had any noticeable negative side effects from the lift kit and spacers. Jeeps are renown for durability because it's a "Jeep" lol. Avoiding the negative side effects by the alignment and not going cheap on parts is a huge benefactor. Obviously losing some fuel mileage from added wind resistance and heavier tires making the motor work harder. The speedometer being off but it shouldn't be much by only going an inch or 2 larger with the tires. Probably around a 2 or 3 mph higher. Is his "renny" a daily commuter or just a weekend toy? Factors I personally think about before any aftermarket parts. I was inspired by his YouTube video where he was off roading with the Rubicon Jeeps. I'd love to get the daystar lift kit and spacers. I just wanted an opinion on daily use rather than just throwing stuff on without a personal review from someone who has already had the parts installed. Thinking about what is best for my renegade TH. This will be something I want to keep for years and not ruin by something that someone else regrets putting on their own Jeep. Understandable?

Let me guess, you're an engineer?

jgoerlitz

Let me guess, you're an engineer?

Not at all. I've clearly been looking for information in the wrong places regarding aftermarket parts for my vehicle. I'd probably be better off asking an engineer instead of having guys give demeaning and sarcastic remarks on a topic over something I'd like to have done on my vehicle. Sorry to waste your time. God bless.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Not at all. I've clearly been looking for information in the wrong places regarding aftermarket parts for my vehicle. I'd probably be better off asking an engineer instead of having guys give demeaning and sarcastic remarks on a topic over something I'd like to have done on my vehicle. Sorry to waste your time. God bless.

Maybe you should have taken advice from people who know what they're talking about. Instead you can ask God Bless, whoever the hell he is.

WJCO

Meme King

God bless to you too. The reason you got the responses you did is that you didn't appear to really be asking a question at all. You came over here spouting a ton of info but made it appear to be a question which Eddie called you out on. Also, if you look at the first post in the thread, you'll see that Eddie's only had these things on there for a little over 2 months. I highly doubt he's going to have any feedback other than they aren't causing the tires to rub on things. He hasn't had them that long. There's plenty of info all over the internet on pros and cons of spacers on lots of vehicles (which you appear that you've already researched). And as far as aftermarket parts for your vehicle, this is probably going to be one of the best places to find info because Eddie and Cindy really have a passion for their Renegade and enjoy sharing the mods they've done with others.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Clearly. Apology accepted and please, keep the blessings from your god. :yup:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Any negative effects from the spacers? Even if you get an alignment on your jeep the spacers still puts more strain on the bearings and the suspension defeating the engineers spending months or years they put into having this particular design(Ackermann principle). Even with offset rims you're still not accomplishing anything. Uneven tire wear, excessive bearing stress, spacer shearing off under hard breaking, and having to worry about 40 lugs instead of 20?

Your first post is the reason you got hammered by we members. I read it and it reads, to me, like you aren't seeking information, but rather, attempting to say that this modification is a bad idea. Maybe you worded your question poorly. Maybe you are a troll.

TWX

Hey. Found this thread through various Internet searches, have a few questions on the modifications...

Backstory, we might be buying a Renegade for my wife's daily driver. Currently have no 4wd vehicles but I grew up with various and we've borrowed from my folks when we think we'd need them, so I've been steering her toward the Trailhawk variant to make it worthwhile. Donno if she'll let me do any modifications or not, but figured that entirely bolt-on changes might be acceptable. So, to my questions...

• Can you provide a picture of where the Coopers rubbed? I like the idea of doing a similar lift and wheel/tire change, but I don't think that she'd tolerate any contact. With the JK there was an issue where some tires would contact a body weld, and it was common to cut the excess off. If this is something that could be easily massaged to make it not contact that would be the best solution for her.
  • Have you gotten the alignment deviation worked-out yet?
  • When we were looking at the one Trailhawk that the local dealer had in-inventory it was parked next to a lower-trim Renegade with 16" steel wheels. Your build notes using the HHR wheels, was the reason for the GM wheel a specific one, or would you have considered the Mopar wheel with a similar spacer had you had availability?
  • Before you did the suspension lift, had you considered 16" wheels with a smaller diameter offroad tire?
I grew up with a first-gen Isuzu Trooper with the anemic inline 4, and later my folks replaced it with a Chevy Tracker, also with a fairly anemic inline 4. Both were BOF instead of monocoque, so looking at a true SUV that's monocoque and independent suspension is a little different than I'm used to, but given her desire to get as close to 30mpg as possible I can't see any other options with the same offroad characteristics as the Trailhawk-package Renegade.

WJCO

Meme King
Hey. Found this thread through various Internet searches, have a few questions on the modifications...

Backstory, we might be buying a Renegade for my wife's daily driver. Currently have no 4wd vehicles but I grew up with various and we've borrowed from my folks when we think we'd need them, so I've been steering her toward the Trailhawk variant to make it worthwhile. Donno if she'll let me do any modifications or not, but figured that entirely bolt-on changes might be acceptable. So, to my questions...

• Can you provide a picture of where the Coopers rubbed? I like the idea of doing a similar lift and wheel/tire change, but I don't think that she'd tolerate any contact. With the JK there was an issue where some tires would contact a body weld, and it was common to cut the excess off. If this is something that could be easily massaged to make it not contact that would be the best solution for her.
  • Have you gotten the alignment deviation worked-out yet?
  • When we were looking at the one Trailhawk that the local dealer had in-inventory it was parked next to a lower-trim Renegade with 16" steel wheels. Your build notes using the HHR wheels, was the reason for the GM wheel a specific one, or would you have considered the Mopar wheel with a similar spacer had you had availability?
  • Before you did the suspension lift, had you considered 16" wheels with a smaller diameter offroad tire?
I grew up with a first-gen Isuzu Trooper with the anemic inline 4, and later my folks replaced it with a Chevy Tracker, also with a fairly anemic inline 4. Both were BOF instead of monocoque, so looking at a true SUV that's monocoque and independent suspension is a little different than I'm used to, but given her desire to get as close to 30mpg as possible I can't see any other options with the same offroad characteristics as the Trailhawk-package Renegade.

Welcome to WAL. As far as the rubbing question, see post #3 here down near the bottom of the thread. This is a damn good write up. http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...ystar-1-5-quot-Lift-Kit-Installation-Write-Up .

I'm Not sure on the rest of your questions.

TWX

Welcome to WAL. As far as the rubbing question, see post #3 here down near the bottom of the thread. This is a damn good write up. http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...ystar-1-5-quot-Lift-Kit-Installation-Write-Up .

I'm Not sure on the rest of your questions.

*nod* thanks. That's very helpful actually.

Reading up on the process I don't think that she's going to want such extensive modifications to hers if we buy one. Can't remember if it was here or if it was in some other thread or forum where someone commented on getting the dealer to install the kit and to somehow guarantee the powertrain warranty despite the aftermarket modifications, that would be the only way she'd tolerate it, but even still if she saw how extensive this was she'd probably not want to go for it. Her current car is nearing 180,000 miles and she's the original owner, so she'd want as close to that kind of reliability and longevity as possible. I'm a little surprised that she's even willing to consider the Renegade, but I've been itching for a 4x4 for some time now, so this gets a better upright driving position without a whole lot of fuel economy sacrifice while giving me access to a 4x4 for casual use that can handle moderately rough conditions and work as an all-weather car too.

I guess if we do go with a Renegade Trailhawk, for the moment it would be at-most alternate wheels/tires/spacers and having the supplies on-hand for a manual swaybar disconnect.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Eddie, do you think I can run those wheels & that size tire, with spacers, before I put the lift on?

Jeepercide

Do you have a shop in Carson?

Even though we bought Renny, our 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk back in February, we hadn't been able to do to much to it if only because there just hasn't been much of anything available for it. That is of course, not up until now anyway. Fortunately for us, Daystar has embraced the Renegade as a real Jeep just like we have and they've started to develop some well needed products for it including a great 1.5" spacer lift. With this lift, you can effectively run a tire that is about 2" taller than what comes from the factory on a Sport, Latitude or Limited and about a 1" taller or so on a factory Trailhawk. For our purposes, we were able to go from a 215/65R17 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A to a 225/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro mud terrain tire (with the help of new 16" Chevy HHR Wheels and 1.25" wheel spacers) with just a touch of rubbing of the fender liner at a 3/4 turn of the steering wheel. Anyway, here are some first pics of what our Jeep Renegade Trailhawk now looks like, I hope you enjoy :cool:

Hey, do you have a shop in Carson? Ive been trying to find someone here by Sacramento to install this setup or close to it. I pick my daughter up in Dayton and drive through often. Let me know if you have a shop or know someone who does. I live and work off-road in the mountains in Pollock Pines, CA and want some real tires before the season starts.

Justin

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, do you have a shop in Carson? Ive been trying to find someone here by Sacramento to install this setup or close to it. I pick my daughter up in Dayton and drive through often. Let me know if you have a shop or know someone who does. I live and work off-road in the mountains in Pollock Pines, CA and want some real tires before the season starts.

Justin

Sorry, don't have a shop in the sense that I take customers. I just work out of my garage and it's pretty well equipped :D

danisalda

Gas mileage?

Were there any notable changes to the gas mileage you get with the lift and spacers?
I'm averaging 22mpg right now and would love to do something like this but am afraid my gas mileage might suffer a lot....

tdougherty81

Were there any notable changes to the gas mileage you get with the lift and spacers?
I'm averaging 22mpg right now and would love to do something like this but am afraid my gas mileage might suffer a lot....

My wife's renegade with lift and spacers did not change the MPGs but when I put new tires on it did drop. 235/65/17 AT

Top Bottom