Jeep JK Wrangler Unit Bearing Replacement Write-Up

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Thanks for this write up, Eddie. Since Cindy mentioned my bearings may be bad, and you agreed, I installed a set. Maybe that will fix my weird, intermittent traction control issue. :thumb::beer::beer:

IMG_0368.jpg

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
On line it shows a different part number Timken HA590482 2011-2017 and cost more the Timken HA590242 is for 2007-2010

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

IDK. I found the same thing as you, saying the older part # wouldn’t fit. I installed a set by Omix-Ada, because I wasn’t sure. I finally found the Timken part # that’s listed for 2012+ Wranglers. It’s what you said, HA590482. I’m not sure if there’s a difference in them, though.

Edit: I missed Cozdude’s reply, above, so HA590482 is correct.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tmk-ha590482

Last edited:
Just ordered a set of these u can get two of them for $207 on rock auto and free shipping and they come fast, the part number is correct what Eddie stated that is the one u want.

desertrunner

So I have been having minor issues installing these on my 12'. I did just notice that the boxes I got are the 242 and not the 482 but the new wheel speed censor lines are a full 10" shorter than my stock lines. Has anyone else seen an issue with the new lines being way shorter than the stock ones? I'm probably going to have to return mine anyway since it sounds like I need the 482 for the 12' but I'm wondering if the new ones are going to come with the same shorter lines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So I have been having minor issues installing these on my 12'. I did just notice that the boxes I got are the 242 and not the 482 but the new wheel speed censor lines are a full 10" shorter than my stock lines. Has anyone else seen an issue with the new lines being way shorter than the stock ones? I'm probably going to have to return mine anyway since it sounds like I need the 482 for the 12' but I'm wondering if the new ones are going to come with the same shorter lines.

Yes the 482 is what you want.

Yes the lines are shorter but you shouldn’t have any issues with it. Have it follow the brake like and you will be fine. Even with the droop on my coilovers I have plenty of room for them before they even come close to tight

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes the 482 is what you want.

Yes the lines are shorter but you shouldn’t have any issues with it. Have it follow the brake like and you will be fine. Even with the droop on my coilovers I have plenty of room for them before they even come close to tight

Yup, this ^^^^

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well turns out I'm passed my return window for my 242s anyone need a set? I'll just buy a new set of 482s later

I'm confused as to why you don't just run them. All you need to do is pull the plastic mounts off the frame rail and reroute the speed sensors behind it. You should have more than enough length to work with.

desertrunner

I'm confused as to why you don't just run them. All you need to do is pull the plastic mounts off the frame rail and reroute the speed sensors behind it. You should have more than enough length to work with.
I get that the shorter lines will be fine if I re route it but I bought the 242s which a page or 2 back ppl were saying it was not working with the 12'+ pcm the new part number is 482 which coz was saying is the new part number for 11'+ so I mean I could just finish installing these and see what happens, but it would be a pain if they don't end up working with the 12' pcm and I could have just installed the new part number while I have it all torn apart.

Top Bottom