It's Time to SUPERSIZE Moby - MoTech 6.2L LS Jeep Motor Swap

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We'll be putting things on hold until we get back from Tahoe. We do hope to have our PR80 by then. The PR60 is high pinion and we don't feel confident that it'll be able to take the extra HP. Most people with HEMI's are only running a 5.7L which puts out only about 25 HP more than a 3.6L pentastar. Our 6.2L will put out over 400 HP.

We'll be putting things on hold until we get back from Tahoe. We do hope to have our PR80 by then. The PR60 is high pinion and we don't feel confident that it'll be able to take the extra HP. Most people with HEMI's are only running a 5.7L which puts out only about 25 HP more than a 3.6L pentastar. Our 6.2L will put out over 400 HP.

Wooohoooo! I was right! Lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Plenty of people running PR44 Front w/ PR60 Rear and a 6.4 Hemi. Pretty sure that is similar output.........

Well, I personally don't know of anyone running a setup like that and even if I did, all i can say is that we've managed to break a 60 rear semi-float shaft with just our wimpy 3.8L. Being that a PR60 is high pinion, we feel that the ring gear will not hold up. Maybe if it were a low pinion, we would keep it. Being that it's not, we're just upgrading to a PR80. Of course, this is just we're doing based on our experiences. Others can run whatever they feel is adequate for them :yup:

TrailReady

Caught the Bug
Well, I personally don't know of anyone running a setup like that and even if I did, all i can say is that we've managed to break a 60 rear semi-float shaft with just our wimpy 3.8L. Being that a PR60 is high pinion, we feel that the ring gear will not hold up. Maybe if it were a low pinion, we would keep it. Being that it's not, we're just upgrading to a PR80. Of course, this is just we're doing based on our experiences. Others can run whatever they feel is adequate for them :yup:

I know of one rig running 40's with a Prorock 44/60 combo powered by a 6.4 VVT Hemi.. The Nemesis/Burnsville Rescue Green 4 Door JK. However, I do not know the pinion angles of their axles or the exact output of this engine. To be honest, when I saw their rig on the clean up run for King of Hammers, I was blown alway that they had not dropped more coin into their drivetrain.

It's exactly like you said though, everyone is free to run whatever setup they feel most comfortable with. It all depends on how you wheel. I just can't believe how hard Nemesis runs their rig on that particular setup.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know of one rig running 40's with a Prorock 44/60 combo powered by a 6.4 VVT Hemi.. The Nemesis/Burnsville Rescue Green 4 Door JK. However, I do not know the pinion angles of their axles or the exact output of this engine. To be honest, when I saw their rig on the clean up run for King of Hammers, I was blown alway that they had not dropped more coin into their drivetrain.

It's exactly like you said though, everyone is free to run whatever setup they feel most comfortable with. It all depends on how you wheel. I just can't believe how hard Nemesis runs their rig on that particular setup.

Never said that you couldn't do it or that it would instantly self-destruct if you did, just that based on my personal experiences, it's not a setup I would feel comfortable running. Unlike some, we do not trailer our Jeeps anywhere regardless of how far the destination or how tough the trail. Because of this, we choose to do what we can to help mitigate breaks to the best of our ability or our finances will allow. Nothing worse than breaking out in the middle of nowhere and no trailer to tow you home especially when it could have been prevented. I should note that it took a little over 2 years for us to finally break our rear semi-float 60 shaft. Time has a way of sneaking up on you.

BTW, high pinion and low pinion is not a reference to the angle of an axle but rather, where the pinion enters the differential. A high pinion will give you better clearance but will have your ring gear pushing on the weak side of the gear. A low pinion setup will cause you to lose ground clearance and force you to operate your drive shaft at a steeper angle but, it will allow your ring gear to be ridden on the strong side. If you've ever broken a ring and pinion on the trail, you'd want to do all that you can to prevent this as well. :yup:

Top Bottom