In The Shop - Disciple Off Road

Ddays

Hooked
Between those Metalcloak brackets and the LCA mounts on the axle, I'm gonna have nightmares tonight!
I've never been happier now that mine are both gone!

If that Jeep isn't used in the rocks too much probably be just fine though.

Between those Metalcloak brackets and the LCA mounts on the axle, I'm gonna have nightmares tonight!

He does wheel it. These brackets technically put the arms at a better angle to almost “act” like a long arm but would be hard pressed to use these unless it was a daily driver……..ok I still wouldn’t use them 🤣

Ddays

Hooked
He does wheel it. These brackets technically put the arms at a better angle to almost “act” like a long arm but would be hard pressed to use these unless it was a daily driver……..ok I still wouldn’t use them 🤣

Amen to that! I absolutely hated my EVO LA kit for clearances. Drove great but man those damn brackets caught on everything.

What are your thoughts on these Metalcloak rear drop brackets? Anyone using them in the rocks?

View attachment 382165
I understand its appeal but I just don't see the point in drop brackets, especially when used in conjunction with adjustable arms. More crap to catch on. Like pick one, long arm or not? Lol. Never been a fan lf Metalcloak's zinc coating either. It's just too much.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Amen to that! I absolutely hated my EVO LA kit for clearances. Drove great but man those damn brackets caught on everything.
I never ran the EVO LA kit without the high clearance brackets but I did run the Full Traction kit which pretty much had the same design. And yes, they caught on EVERYTHING. I hated them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Even though I'm not a fan of front drop brackets, I can see the desire to correct angles there for ride comfort and handling. The rear just seems silly to me or at least, unless he's riding on a really tall lift and even at that, long arms are still the better way to go. That said, how tall is his rig?

Jeeper99

Hmm. Now I'm wondering what my shop installed on mine. I haven't got it back yet, but he was going to install a Gamechanger and he did show me those brackets and recommended them. I didn't give an answer. But I gave him a lot of freedom on all the work being done. I will know soon enough.

Even though I'm not a fan of front drop brackets, I can see the desire to correct angles there for ride comfort and handling. The rear just seems silly to me or at least, unless he's riding on a really tall lift and even at that, long arms are still the better way to go. That said, how tall is his rig?
Agreed. This is a 4.5” lift on a 4XE.

Hmm. Now I'm wondering what my shop installed on mine. I haven't got it back yet, but he was going to install a Gamechanger and he did show me those brackets and recommended them. I didn't give an answer. But I gave him a lot of freedom on all the work being done. I will know soon enough.
Yeah these rear brackets are not standard with their lift kits from what I can tell and is an extra add on.

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
Looks like you would need to run 4-6" more tire to just get clearance back to where it would be without the bracket...

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Sorry Jeremy for posting my problems on your thread. I figured since you were talking about the same problem I'm having.
Managed to get a camera under the jeep and this what have. Sounds like DL. No Vibration as far as I can tell. Looking at the DL spin, it looks out of balance to me. So, is it the DL or the pinion because of the DL? J.E. Reel 1350.
I installed DL last year. Didn't have in/lbs torque wrench. Also don't understand rotational torque at all.
Called and sent video to Jim over at J E Reel and still haven't heard back from them.
What do you guys think?

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Sorry Jeremy for posting my problems on your thread. I figured since you were talking about the same problem I'm having.
Managed to get a camera under the jeep and this what have. Sounds like DL. No Vibration as far as I can tell. Looking at the DL spin, it looks out of balance to me. So, is it the DL or the pinion because of the DL? J.E. Reel 1350.
I installed DL last year. Didn't have in/lbs torque wrench. Also don't understand rotational torque at all.
Called and sent video to Jim over at J E Reel and still haven't heard back from them.
What do you guys think?
That evap armor looks like it's moving around a lot. I'll check it out.

What do you guys think?
Don't mind at all you posting up in here.

I think the camera sound quality makes it kind of hard to really hear the true noise you are hearing. If it is a rotational noise, it could be related to the DL or pinion bearings. Being that it's been a year, is there any evidence of a weight missing on the DL? I'd also check the u-joints for any play. Additionally, you could pull the driveline and check the yoke for any play in or out or get the wheels off the ground so you can rotate the yoke by hand to feel if it's smooth for possible bearing failure (will feel rough or want to catch as you rotate). You can drive the Jeep with the driveline pulled to see if the noise is gone but if it is related to the pinion bearings, you may not hear it with no load on the pinion bearings if that makes sense.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Don't mind at all you posting up in here.

I think the camera sound quality makes it kind of hard to really hear the true noise you are hearing. If it is a rotational noise, it could be related to the DL or pinion bearings. Being that it's been a year, is there any evidence of a weight missing on the DL? I'd also check the u-joints for any play. Additionally, you could pull the driveline and check the yoke for any play in or out or get the wheels off the ground so you can rotate the yoke by hand to feel if it's smooth for possible bearing failure (will feel rough or want to catch as you rotate). You can drive the Jeep with the driveline pulled to see if the noise is gone but if it is related to the pinion bearings, you may not hear it with no load on the pinion bearings if that makes sense.
Thanks, I'm heading to the garage now. Going to pull DL and see what I find. I will do the things you suggested to. I was thinking the noise could be coming from the brakes also. The camera was right by the driver rear tire. Exhaust tip too :oops:

Thanks, I'm heading to the garage now. Going to pull DL and see what I find. I will do the things you suggested to. I was thinking the noise could be coming from the brakes also. The camera was right by the driver rear tire. Exhaust tip too :oops:
Yeah was definitely hard to hear. If you aren't sure on something, please feel free to shoot over a call (y)

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Without rear shaft. Sounds almost worse. Don't feel any slop or movement in pinion. Spins freely by hand. I did take a big prybar and lift up and down rear driver tire and I do get a little movement and lite clunk. ???

TrailHunter

Hooked
Without rear shaft. Sounds almost worse. Don't feel any slop or movement in pinion. Spins freely by hand. I did take a big prybar and lift up and down rear driver tire and I do get a little movement and lite clunk. ???
Maybe a Rear axle shaft bearing? Are your rears factory or did you replace them with chromoly? Have you jacked up the rear and spun them separately to see if you can feel/hear a noise?

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Maybe a Rear axle shaft bearing? Are your rears factory or did you replace them with chromoly? Have you jacked up the rear and spun them separately to see if you can feel/hear a noise?
Yes OEM axle shafts, had it up on stands. Spun each tire doesn't make a sound. Then I started it and ran it a little on the stands. It makes some noise. Going to change diff fluid in the morning. I'll see what's inside. Check magnet also.
I'm starting to think the axle shaft flange. While running it up on the jack stands, I could see a little wobble in drivers' side.

Top Bottom