Help tighten up my JK

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Hey everyone,
So for those of you that know me know ive gone back and forth more then a ball in a ping pong match about what to do with my jeep. Well basically im "stuck" with my jeep, theres no move that wont slaughter my credit or put me out thousands to dump my jeep. So basically me and my wife have decided to try a different route, and instead of trying to cut out payments to live a more financially stable life, we will try to find something to make a few dollars to compensate for keeping the jeep. Basically, I'm in the process of my background check of becoming a driver on Uber. I know a few friends who do it and have told me it can be decent money if you hit up local hotspots. Anyway, since ive decided to keep him, I'm wanting to take the time and go over him and fix a few things on him that have been bothering me, both cosmetic and performance wise. Obviously performance taking priority.

My jeep setup:

2013 2 dr auto
Evo Leveling kit w/ 18/59 4dr rear springs
Rancho 5000Xs
JKS Brakeline extensions
3" bumps (not really needed but too lazy to remove)
35" MudGrapplers
ATX Slabs
Left over parts from a RE lift still installed
(BumpStops, rear trackbar bracket, rear swaybar links, etc.)

Im currently super light and have no spare and no backseat.

Basically my problem is, the jeep rides hard, most likely from the very stiff rear springs. You can honestly feel the difference in the ride from the front and rear of my jeep. So I'm thinking of upgrading to 2" OME springs in the rear to hopefully help with that. Opinions?

My main dilemma is my steering is just super loose. Constantly fighting to keep the jeep straight, hit a bump and you can feel the jeep kinda react. I hate to call it bump steer because its not terrible, but im just lacking in what else to call it. Last time i had the jeep on jacks, balljoints were good, which was only like a month ago. Not sure how to tackle this, adjustable front lower control arms? DL Flip?

One of the last things i want to tackle performance wise, is new shocks. I purchased my rancho 5000Xs about 6 months ago. Im just not happy with them. They are the 9000x with no adjustment knob for those that dont know (equivalent to a 5 on the adjustment knob) They are a well made shock, and its a shame bc theyre nice, but they just dont suite my rig. My rig is so light, i feel like they just dont give enough for me, maybe upgrade to the 9000Xs to crank them down to like 1 or 2? Anyone have a SUPER soft riding shock suggestion?

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
While I can't answer all of your questions, I would definitely recommend to check caster. Even 1 degree too low can change your steering. See where you're at. And have someone turn your steering wheel while you check track bar ends, tie rod ends, and drag link ends for play.

TonyViv

While I can't answer all of your questions, I would definitely recommend to check caster. Even 1 degree too low can change your steering. See where you're at. And have someone turn your steering wheel while you check track bar ends, tie rod ends, and drag link ends for play.

Can 1 degree really make that big of a difference?? Im sitting at 2.9 and 3.1, would a turn or 2 on the lowers make 4 and see a real improvement?
How many turns lengthening will make that 1 degree?

Tony

WJCO

Meme King
Can 1 degree really make that big of a difference?? Im sitting at 2.9 and 3.1, would a turn or 2 on the lowers make 4 and see a real improvement?
How many turns lengthening will make that 1 degree?

Tony

One full turn can add a degree or two, but you really need to measure with a gauge to be safe. It's a sensetive measurement. I had a bit of wandering after my axle swap just in the last couple of weeks. Added 1.5 degrees of caster and it was fixed. I would do one full turn (360 degrees) and re-measure. Just make sure both sides are exactly the same in length.

JKbrick

Hey everyone,
So for those of you that know me know ive gone back and forth more then a ball in a ping pong match about what to do with my jeep. Well basically im "stuck" with my jeep, theres no move that wont slaughter my credit or put me out thousands to dump my jeep. So basically me and my wife have decided to try a different route, and instead of trying to cut out payments to live a more financially stable life, we will try to find something to make a few dollars to compensate for keeping the jeep. Basically, I'm in the process of my background check of becoming a driver on Uber. I know a few friends who do it and have told me it can be decent money if you hit up local hotspots. Anyway, since ive decided to keep him, I'm wanting to take the time and go over him and fix a few things on him that have been bothering me, both cosmetic and performance wise. Obviously performance taking priority.

My jeep setup:

2013 2 dr auto
Evo Leveling kit w/ 18/59 4dr rear springs
Rancho 5000Xs
JKS Brakeline extensions
3" bumps (not really needed but too lazy to remove)
35" MudGrapplers
ATX Slabs
Left over parts from a RE lift still installed
(BumpStops, rear trackbar bracket, rear swaybar links, etc.)

Im currently super light and have no spare and no backseat.

Basically my problem is, the jeep rides hard, most likely from the very stiff rear springs. You can honestly feel the difference in the ride from the front and rear of my jeep. So I'm thinking of upgrading to 2" OME springs in the rear to hopefully help with that. Opinions?

My main dilemma is my steering is just super loose. Constantly fighting to keep the jeep straight, hit a bump and you can feel the jeep kinda react. I hate to call it bump steer because its not terrible, but im just lacking in what else to call it. Last time i had the jeep on jacks, balljoints were good, which was only like a month ago. Not sure how to tackle this, adjustable front lower control arms? DL Flip?

One of the last things i want to tackle performance wise, is new shocks. I purchased my rancho 5000Xs about 6 months ago. Im just not happy with them. They are the 9000x with no adjustment knob for those that dont know (equivalent to a 5 on the adjustment knob) They are a well made shock, and its a shame bc theyre nice, but they just dont suite my rig. My rig is so light, i feel like they just dont give enough for me, maybe upgrade to the 9000Xs to crank them down to like 1 or 2? Anyone have a SUPER soft riding shock suggestion?

Thanks guys!

Glad your keeping it first of all. Secondly I think your on the right track with the shocks, I have the fox shocks and they are stiff! More at slower speeds than faster.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

TonyViv

One full turn can add a degree or two, but you really need to measure with a gauge to be safe. It's a sensetive measurement. I had a bit of wandering after my axle swap just in the last couple of weeks. Added 1.5 degrees of caster and it was fixed. I would do one full turn (360 degrees) and re-measure. Just make sure both sides are exactly the same in length.

Ill try that, pull both measure exact length add one turn and measure angle again.. With my lift, 4in, Ill be needing driveshafts soon, from what Ive read here 4 degrees max so no driveline vibes??

WJCO

Meme King
Ill try that, pull both measure exact length add one turn and measure angle again.. With my lift, 4in, Ill be needing driveshafts soon, from what Ive read here 4 degrees max so no driveline vibes??

I would only do one at a time so you don't have to fight getting one back in. Measuring bolt to bolt will give you a good idea if they're the same. Rule of thumb is to turn each arm the same number of times. Between 4 and 5 degrees is good. Stock is 4.2 but you should be fine up to 5. It's hard to get it perfect. Remember to account for the angle on the ground itself when you do your measurements.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Where do you place the guage to measure? On top of the ball joint?

Sent from my BNTV600 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Use this link here: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

I put it on the ball joint, bottom of the c, and front of the pumpkin. Just to make sure I can get a good reading. Paint/dirt/etc can throw it off. Make sure wherever you put it is cleaned off and flat. It has to be a flat surface or your reading won't be accurate.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the link. To the OP, I would bet longer front LCA's would do wonders if you're still on stock arms.

And part of might just be the short wheelbase of a 2 door combined with solid axles.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys, i do have an angleometer so ill have to check out my caster and see if maybe some arms would be beneficial to me. I know its not gonna drive like a Cadillac but it definitely should drive better then it does now

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Honestly, your ride won't be any better with the OME springs. If it were me, I would reinstall your factory coils and run a set of coil spacers. That will give you the softest ride you can get at the height that you want to be at. In fact, I would do this before ditching your shocks as MOST of ride comfort comes from your coils - NOT your shocks.

Sounds to me like a lack of positive caster. Adjustable front lower control arms will help you to address this. You do not have enough lift to warrant a drag link flip.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys, i do have an angleometer so ill have to check out my caster and see if maybe some arms would be beneficial to me. I know its not gonna drive like a Cadillac but it definitely should drive better then it does now

You do if you have an iPhone or a smart phone with an angle finder app.

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Honestly, your ride won't be any better with the OME springs. If it were me, I would reinstall your factory coils and run a set of coil spacers. That will give you the softest ride you can get at the height that you want to be at. In fact, I would do this before ditching your shocks as MOST of ride comfort comes from your coils - NOT your shocks.

Yeah, i think my main issue is the rear springs. Like i said its really noticeable while hitting bumps. The plush rides up front take the bumps perfectly, but the stiff 4 door springs are the problem. Maybe just put my springs with a 2" spacer in the rear and scratch the idea of shocks

Sounds to me like a lack of positive caster. Adjustable front lower control arms will help you to address this. You do not have enough lift to warrant a drag link flip.

You do if you have an iPhone or a smart phone with an angle finder app.

Yes i do have an iphone! I also purchased the same yellow magnetic angleometer i think ive seen in a few of your writeups. Good to know to have two to double check eachother, thanks!

Did you have a higher lift at one time to account for the 3" bump stops?

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

They were from the RE lift that was on my jeep when i bought it, just never got around to removing them

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As my write-up shows, this is the EASIEST way to find what your caster is...

attachment.php

Simly place an angle finder over the large hole located on the edge of your differential housing. When set correctly, your angle finder should be sitting close to vertical with a reading of 92° or 88° depending on how you have it situated. This is of course assuming you are on level ground. You will NEED to account for the slope of the ground your sitting on if there is one.

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
As my write-up shows, this is the EASIEST way to find what your caster is...

attachment.php

Simly place an angle finder over the large hole located on the edge of your differential housing. When set correctly, your angle finder should be sitting close to vertical with a reading of 92° or 88° depending on how you have it situated. This is of course assuming you are on level ground. You will NEED to account for the slope of the ground your sitting on if there is one.

Thanks eddie! I never placed it there, i always did onto of the upper ball joint. Ill have to place it on the axle housing and give it a go. When we bought my house it had a brand new concrete driveway, ill have to park on a "flat" spot and see how flat it really is and take that into account. Thanks again

scull20

Greg,

I casually looked into uber myself a year or so ago, and seem to remember them requiring a 4 door sedan or minivan for UberX and uberpool. That was at least in NNJ and at the time I looked. Things may have changed, but just figured I'd give you the heads up to look into it ahead of time.

-Ryan

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Greg,

I casually looked into uber myself a year or so ago, and seem to remember them requiring a 4 door sedan or minivan for UberX and uberpool. That was at least in NNJ and at the time I looked. Things may have changed, but just figured I'd give you the heads up to look into it ahead of time.

-Ryan

Yes they do ryan! They require a 4 door new vehicle. If i end up going this route ill end up using my wifes 2016 Honda CRV. Gas would be a killer in the jeep [emoji23]. Thanks for the heads up buddy

Top Bottom