GraniteCrystal build thread

It'd definitely reach the bottom of the differential. But then I'd be compressing the spring until it hit the bump stops...not sure there'd be enough there.

Yeah, I'm thinking that as well. Might pick up a few 4x4s from Lowe's this weekend.

I think you are thinking about this wrong. You life less from the underside of the axle (up travel) than you do lifting the frame and soaking up the long part of the suspension (down travel).

I got a cheap harbor freight 12 ton bottle jack I've been using for a while and has done great for what I payed for it. That and a few 2x4 squares and there aren't many situations that I can't get the wheels up.

2x4 squares? You got a pic? Just a 2x4 cut into 4" lengths or is it 2x4s screwed together in some sort of large square? Just curious what's worked well for you.

Shade tops are awesome. I got the Bartact because my wife is a redhead and it seemed to offer the best coverage. Amazing how much more comfortable it made running topless in the heat down here.

Yeah, looking forward to getting out in the sun with it.

2x4 squares? You got a pic? Just a 2x4 cut into 4" lengths or is it 2x4s screwed together in some sort of large square? Just curious what's worked well for you.

Yeah, looking forward to getting out in the sun with it.

I have a few 12" sections of 2"x4" that I use for a base when using the bottle jack and a couple that are about 6"-8" long that I put on top of the bottle jack to create a bearing surface for the axle.

Anything solid really. Just as long as the jack is secure on the wood on the concrete. That's it. I have a few logs that haven't been split and have even used that, as long as it's level.

This is an extreme example, but you get the idea. As long as the jack is on something solid, you're good. Always use stands if you're working under it no matter what.

003_removing_engine.jpg

I think you are thinking about this wrong. You life less from the underside of the axle (up travel) than you do lifting the frame and soaking up the long part of the suspension (down travel).

Right you are sir! I had to find out for sure, so I gave it a shot. Got the tire off the ground. Thanks! Still going to bring some wood just so I have more options.

Attachments

• 1471036727203.jpg
    1471036727203.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 157
Anything solid really. Just as long as the jack is secure on the wood on the concrete. That's it. I have a few logs that haven't been split and have even used that, as long as it's level.

This is an extreme example, but you get the idea. As long as the jack is on something solid, you're good. Always use stands if you're working under it no matter what.

View attachment 217101

That is some serious improvisation...

View attachment 217101

That guy is all about his wood and concrete blocks. Dang.

Top off!!

Took the hard top off for the first time ever! Definitely the best the Jeep has ever looked. And definitely a two person job, especially when you have a Gobi roof rack.

IMG_20160812_182918.jpg

IMG_20160812_182932.jpg

IMG_20160812_183003.jpg

IMG_20160812_183015.jpg

Finished installing the Dirty Dog 4x4 sun shade. It went in just as I hoped it would, allowing me full use of the rear cross bar.

IMG_20160812_200805.jpg

IMG_20160812_200957.jpg

Here you can see the rear cross member. It straps on, allowing me to continued use of the bar. In total, I have two Titan Straps (orange) holding down two fishing poles, two climbing bolt anchors for hanging hammocks, two additional climbing straps (yellow) just as additional anchor points, and the Dirty Dog sunshade straps all going on that rear cross member.
IMG_20160812_201611.jpg

Picked up a storage container from Cabelas for $15 for all fluids (gear oil, motor oil, coolant, etc) when on the trail.

Attachments

• 1471114305166.jpg
    1471114305166.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 1471114323180.jpg
    1471114323180.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 159
Top Bottom