Garage Heat- what does everybody use?

OJK12

I have an 80,000 BTU furnace in mine it's old but does the job. I hate wrenching in the cold myself.

Ddays

Hooked
Picked up this 75,000 BTU hanging Reznor unit but the damn weather went to single digits before I got it installed...

WIN_20160124_180043.jpg

I have a portable propane forced air heater/ buddy heater, works awesome. Gets nice and toasty in a non insulated michigan garage. Before I bought that if it was too cold and it couldn't wait I brought the grill in the garage and let that warm me up, whatever gets the job done I suppose.

Keep an eye on craigslist I picked one of these up for $20

f271370.jpg

CZEBJKU

I have a 75K BTU Reznor. Nice working in the warm and dry garage.

Attachments

• 1453682881848.jpg
    1453682881848.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 143

robx251

Caught the Bug
I'm pretty lucky, I get to use the shop... So waste oil. But if I had to do my own garage I really couldn't put it past some sort of infrared heater.

Havoc40

I have 2 Dayton natural gas 90,000 btu heaters. Keeps things nice and comfortable.

Top right of the pic
20160117_185533.jpg

Last edited:

lidless07X

I have a 2 Ton heat pump. The ones by Mitsubishi that are ductless. Works great in Winter AND Summer. My garage is 28X32X10high. Well insulated but has four low grade windows.

Flexy

King Retard
I've got a three car insulated garage. I ran a duct from the house furnace into the garage. No thermostat, nothing fancy. But the garage rarely gets below 50°F with Indiana winters outside. If I need it to be warmer I use a small electric heater to bump it up to 70°F. ...or leave the door to the house open.

EDIT: added location.

It is nice wrenching warm!

Attachments

• Garage heat.jpg
    Garage heat.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 112
  • working warm.jpg
    working warm.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Bierpower

Hooked
Picked up this 75,000 BTU hanging Reznor unit but the damn weather went to single digits before I got it installed...

View attachment 184319

We had one of these reznor units in our shop and even at -15 with the 12' bay doors up and down all day it stayed plenty warm. Need plenty of head room though, the pipe gets to about 500 degrees next to the blower so you don't want to bump into it.

Ddays

Hooked
We had one of these reznor units in our shop and even at -15 with the 12' bay doors up and down all day it stayed plenty warm. Need plenty of head room though, the pipe gets to about 500 degrees next to the blower so you don't want to bump into it.

Yeah, my next door neighbor, and fellow Jeeper, is a HVAC guy so he's gonna doublecheck my install. Don't want to be burning the damn garage down!

DemCoconuts

We use a couple of Mastercraft 750/1500w space heaters in dad's shop (it's pretty well insulated). Usually get it up to a nice 5 degrees C after a couple hours with the heaters running (but we're talking from dead of winter colds, so -25 to -40 degrees C). Holds the heat well. Had that for a few years now, but this year he's moving to propane. Too bad he's too far away to take the Jeep to work on!

YAYMUD

I use a "dyna-glo" 50-200,000 BTU convection heater... It can use a fuck ton of propane, but can heat my three bay garage with 15 foot ceilings in about 15 minutes. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453884447.738701.jpg

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I knew a guy that had the washer and dryer in his garage and he would just disconnect the vent hose from the back of the dryer turn it around and use it. Worked well enough.

Top Bottom